Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I had no issue with the qtes, i think i only failed like 2

Same. A button input appears on the screen, you press it. The window is short, but it's not too hard. My only complaint is at times there's little logic behind the inputs they choose and it feels a bit more random than in the first two games.

They're tough but not ridiculous. But I agree the window could be a little more forgiving.

I found them ok overall.

I would say I failed 70-75% of the QTE’s in my initial playthrough.

I personally think the timing window is broken and my argument to those saying I am too old or slow is citing my proficiency with Excite QTE 3. I would regularly get to ‘Super Expert’ level and maintain this for some time without losing a life.

My argument is the arcade game is essentially asking for same button inputs on its most challenging setting, yet is more forgiving than regular QTE’s. If not outright broken it points out how inconsistent the game is.

You just need to keep practising every day!

cmRTpi4.gif

Same feeling with the other swap mods (Geralt from The Witcher, Solid Snake). All make the combat look better.
I'm thinking that maybe it's because he's playing on the easiest difficulty. So, he's able to just continuously string attacks together and the opponent can't really defend himself because it's supposed to be easy enough for anyone to play. On higher difficulties, you have to stop to block/dodge or else you'll get your ass kicked.

Rocko's Modern Life! Yeah I remember that. But I watched Nickelodeon cartoons on Channel 4 rather than Nick's own channel. Don't think C4 had Stick Stickly. Unless I'm intentionally blanking him out. Maybe childhood trauma....? Hmm.....

Old Ryo in new game looks really cool, btw. Modding is one of the best things about PC gaming that makes console peasants like myself super-jealous.

It is also amusing that his mouth doesn't move, and it's like everyone is reading his mind.
Rocko's Modern Life and Ren & Stimpy were my two faves! But yeah, I don't think Stick Stickly would have been on if you weren't actually watching on Nickelodeon.

The one thing that I think is not so great about the Passport model is that Ryo always looks so pissed off. His neutral expression still looks angry. I think that the actual Shenmue III model works better for the game because of this. But those Passport models really were damn impressive considering how good they still look today.

Shenmue III is a story set in the 1980's about a guy who wears a jacket with a tiger on the back

df5fc07a2d6c5d9d7218b4792802bdbb.jpg

He is on a quest for vengeance after someone he loves is killed by a superior fighter

17624404b39ba1e7bcb663449dabc2666162487f.jpg

He seeks the help of an old grandmaster who forces him to catch chickens

Rocky-Chicken-Scene-640x400.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

During his quest he will chop wood

WelldocumentedLawfulEnglishpointer-size_restricted.gif

and meet up with a quiet timid woman who wears interesting hats who will shape his destiny

I wonder if Rock sorry I mean Ryo will beat Lan Di in a streetfight at the end of Rock I mean Shenmue V?

:D

(for anyone about to go UGH ACKTUALLY those aren't in chronological order...it's a joke post)
Seriously though, catching chickens has to be a reference to Rocky II, doesn't it? Sun even looks a bit like a Chinese Mickey, with a similar hat and everything.

I would say I failed 70-75% of the QTE’s in my initial playthrough.

I personally think the timing window is broken and my argument to those saying I am too old or slow is citing my proficiency with Excite QTE 3. I would regularly get to ‘Super Expert’ level and maintain this for some time without losing a life.

My argument is the arcade game is essentially asking for same button inputs on its most challenging setting, yet is more forgiving than regular QTE’s. If not outright broken it points out how inconsistent the game is.
Agreed. Excite QTE and QTE Title are more similar to the QTEs from the old games, both in interface/appearance and timing. I had no trouble with those. With the in-game QTEs the window is so tiny that it's ridiculous to me. The thing that I really hate is the fact that you can't even press the button as soon as it appears on the screen. If you press it too soon, it doesn't count and then it's almost impossible to press it again before it's too late.

I think the only times I was successful on my first try were when I could logically predict what the button would be, which were few and far between. For instance, one time it looked like Ryo was going to have to jump over a table or something, so I correctly assumed that the button would be A/Cross.

I was just watching Adam Koralik's review and I know people here have had similar complaints to Adam, but am I seriously the only person who had little to no issues with the QTE timing? Adam said they're borderline impossible, which I can tell you from my experience is an utterly ridiculous claim.

Git gud, guys.
I had no issue with the qtes, i think i only failed like 2
You two must have God-like reflexes.

I just don't see what's difficult about seeing an input on the screen and then pressing it within the timeframe. I have no idea what the time frame is, but even if it's just a second or two or even just under a second, it's really not that difficult. Sorry oldies :p

I was just watching Adam Koralik's review and I know people here have had similar complaints to Adam, but am I seriously the only person who had little to no issues with the QTE timing? Adam said they're borderline impossible, which I can tell you from my experience is an utterly ridiculous claim.

Git gud, guys.

I failed a couple, but managed to hit nearly all of them first time. I can tell they are tighter than previous Shenmue's but they are far from impossible like some people claim, those people just got old ;)

It would appear that if you're over the age of 30, you can no longer do qtes.

Im with @Reprise . Get good old men 😂

Nope, I'm thirty something and had almost no problems with them what so ever. Then again I'm gaming so much that I swear my reflexes are getting better not worse... I'm achieving stuff in older, harder games that my younger self would never manage.

Nailed QTEs one week before playing Shenmue 3 in Until Dawn, also all QTEs in Shenmue I &II PS4 except the planks. Here the time frame is so ridiculous that you press it sometimes I press it while the button is still on the screen and failed. And please do not talk about the fucking chickens, those bastards, I am always playing on hard and thar part is hell. Also there is no logic behind the inputs...

I'm just sitting here, enjoying the shit out of the third game, back-back; 3rd playthru will be my first New Game+ then maybe even 4th consecutive play on a Hard (rather than Normal). After I play Last Guardian and Syberia 3 and Saturn Keiji Eno, I'll do a full English PS4 trilogy with Shen3 on easy.

All you have to do is compare the QTEs to the previous games, which I'm sure we've all played very recently:

My failure rate in I: ~15-20%
My failure rate in II: ~25-30%
My failure rate in III: ~80-85%

Why make them so much quicker than in I & II? The game is worse for it, in my opinion. If you're going to have super fast QTEs at least build up to them. They 100% should fix it in the Jan patch, on Easy and Normal difficulties. This is up there with dialogue skipping for me as simple fixes that'd dramatically improve the game.

Nailed QTEs one week before playing Shenmue 3 in Until Dawn, also all QTEs in Shenmue I &II PS4 except the planks. Here the time frame is so ridiculous that you press it sometimes I press it while the button is still on the screen and failed. And please do not talk about the fucking chickens, those bastards, I am always playing on hard and thar part is hell. Also there is no logic behind the inputs...
Actually, chickens have a little logic, I found the following worked like a charm:
First chicken collection only has you pressing only circle and square I think (its only two button inputs at least) so hold the pad in one hand (over the left analogue stick) and have your fingers hovering over both button inputs. Makes it easy to react quickly to either input. Second chicken bit has three inputs, third has you hitting all four face buttons which is indeed the hardest. The last chicken bit that comes later only has you hitting two buttons again, so repeat the first method.
Personally I never had issues with the chicken stuff either, especially using the above method. And this was all on hard, not that I believe it makes a difference.

All you have to do is compare the QTEs to the previous games, which I'm sure we've all played very recently:

My failure rate in I: ~15-20%
My failure rate in II: ~25-30%
My failure rate in III: ~80-85%

Why make them so much quicker than in I & II? The game is worse for it, in my opinion. If you're going to have super fast QTEs at least build up to them. They 100% should fix it in the Jan patch, on Easy and Normal difficulties. This is up there with dialogue skipping for me as simple fixes that'd dramatically improve the game.

You're spot-on. I don't like to take black and white stances on any kind of issues, but I really don't think there's any legitimate defense for the QTEs in 3. My failure rate for QTEs in I and II is under 5% easy, and when I'm sharp I can go 10 minutes into QTE Title without losing a life.

I failed nearly 100% of QTEs in Guilin on the first try.

This isn't a 'get gud' situation, the response times are unforgivable to the player and I'm not sure how they got through quality assurance without any kind of feedback on the difficulty.

I had a ton of trouble with the QTEs toward the beginning of the game, but found them much easier(more forgiving) as I went further along to the point where I was nailing almost all of the inputs first try during the last chase scene and end game ones. I don't *think* my reaction times improved significantly, but I wonder if maybe the kung-fu stat effects QTE timings at all?

Back