Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I felt the same thing! And looking for herbs in first person had the same effect!

I think it has to do with the unlocked and VERY unstable framerate (I'm on base PS4, btw).

I'm praying for them to lock the framerate at 30fps in an upcoming patch. The game would look much better!

This is really my biggest complaint about the game, the very unstable framerate and terrible pop-ins... 😒

PS: If no one else has felt it, I'm already imagining someone saying that the problem is not the game but the Portuguese people. :LOL:
hahaha good one!
I'm now glad I'm not alone!!
Me and my friend got so hight that we even started looking for chobu-chans in his irl kitchen hahahaa

wood-chopping mini-game... is there a trick to it? I couldn't figure out how to consistently get the 'very good' or 'excellent' chops. I noticed the music changing twice if you get the first then three in a row, but also not sure what it actually does?
You can get 'Excellent' on this? Never gotten better than Very Good. I clearly suck at this game. Still got 1k logs mind you lol.

If anyone has a trick/technique for excellents then please post.

You can get 'Excellent' on this? Never gotten better than Very Good. I clearly suck at this game. Still got 1k logs mind you lol.

From my experience if you chop it in the exact middle you’ll get a “Very good” and the music changes. If you do that three times in a row you’ll get an “Excellent” and the music changes again. I think when you get the very goods and excellent it may up the number of splits you get per swing. Could be wrong on that last bit.

If you miss after getting combos you start from the beginning.

I always thought that was the fat martial arts dude from Niaowu?

latest

From my experience if you chop it in the exact middle you’ll get a “Very good” and the music changes. If you do that three times in a row you’ll get an “Excellent” and the music changes again. I think when you get the very goods and excellent it may up the number of splits you get per swing. Could be wrong on that last bit.

If you miss after getting combos you start from the beginning.
You are correct. I'm not very good at it either, but have gotten an excellent here or there.

It's curious isn't it? I couldn't find a way to get the 'Very Good' consistently though. I only got the 'Excellent' twice I think, but it seems to play Joy's theme from Shenmue II when you get it!?

Funnily enough, the wood chopping base music is probably my favourite track in the game. I liked the 'Very Good' music too.

OMG Joy music when you chop?!?!?!

I need to get good right away!! Loving this game!!
The music you get depends on who you chop with/for as well.

There are two different Very Good tunes and two different Excellent tunes.

One Very Good tune is from Afterburner, one Excellent tune is Joy's theme. I don't think you get Joy's theme when chopping for Tao, though. If you're in Bailu, you have to go to the other wood chopping spot.

Listening to Niaowu soundtrack, recognised "Elevator Ambush" from Shenmue II (a track I've had on rotation a lot in the past few weeks):

3:10:16 if timestamp isn't working.

Was wondering when this featured in Shenmue III?

Soundtrack for listening. SAVED! Thank you muchly.

S2 'Quarter' music is great for on foot journeys. S3 has arranged versions of S2 songs in selected buildings/points of interest as Amir mentioned so happy to be listening to this soon.

I'll begin my third playthrough tonight. First for plot (to avoid spoilers), second for achievements, and now to really appreciate the game as it is.

Though my strong hangups remain (plot and its pacing), and I admit I've had to detox from modern gaming flavor (like learning to love classic cinema), this game still charms.

Listening to Niaowu soundtrack, recognised "Elevator Ambush" from Shenmue II (a track I've had on rotation a lot in the past few weeks):

3:10:16 if timestamp isn't working.

Was wondering when this featured in Shenmue III?

Mainly on the fight up the stairs to the Old Castle.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's Joy's unused theme for wood chopping, as Joy's theme is already in use in Beats Of Rage.

I'll begin my third playthrough tonight. First for plot (to avoid spoilers), second for achievements, and now to really appreciate the game as it is.

Though my strong hangups remain (plot and its pacing), and I admit I've had to detox from modern gaming flavor (like learning to love classic cinema), this game still charms.
Plot and pacing: Honestly how do you feel about S1/2 plot and pacing? Do you have similar hang ups? I think it was a bit lame in S2 when you lost your cash. I get why it was done but still kinda lame. A bit too quick and easy. Wish there was a way to avoid being robbed or get your cash back with a specific timed event etc.

S3 just drips with nostalgia and fan service so a lot is forgiven. I like how rigid it is to the principles of S1/2.

This is what I hate with the soundtrack usage. Joy theme for wood chopping ? Next Iwao theme for Lucky Hit ?
Ever seen Vanilla Sky? Inappropriate music makes for fun/exciting/intriguing times.

Love all this craziness. Guessing I'm a minority but....

Plot and pacing: Honestly how do you feel about S1/2 plot and pacing? Do you have similar hang ups? I think it was a bit lame in S2 when you lost your cash. I get why it was done but still kinda lame. A bit too quick and easy. Wish there was a way to avoid being robbed or get your cash back with a specific timed event etc.

S3 just drips with nostalgia and fan service so a lot is forgiven. I like how rigid it is to the principles of S1/2.

I think S2 had the right pacing: if you wanted to play through the game as quickly as possible, you could (certain NPCs gave better advice than others). Contrast Niaowu, in which only one person can tell you about the Red Snakes, the Buddhist shop, etc. To this end, I do get a little impatient with S1's pacing (having to wait a day for Charlie, etc.) I'm not saying my view mandates what should be used, but I'm not going to pretend I enjoy 3's as much as 2's.

As to losing one's cash in 2, even though irritating, you can at least buy items and pawn them early on: I've have playthroughs in which I pawned and in turn won lucky hit enough times to have over $60 before the mandatory work day. So too, when collecting the $500 to meet Ren, one has enough options for collecting the money that it can be a week long journey or a quick trip to the gambling houses.

As to the forgiveness about nostalgia/fan service, I agree it it makes up for much. I think this playthrough will remind me just how much of a Shenmue game this is.

I think S2 had the right pacing: if you wanted to play through the game as quickly as possible, you could (certain NPCs gave better advice than others). Contrast Niaowu, in which only one person can tell you about the Red Snakes, the Buddhist shop, etc. To this end, I do get a little impatient with S1's pacing (having to wait a day for Charlie, etc.) I'm not saying my view mandates what should be used, but I'm not going to pretend I enjoy 3's as much as 2's.

As to losing one's cash in 2, even though irritating, you can at least buy items and pawn them early on: I've have playthroughs in which I pawned and in turn won lucky hit enough times to have over $60 before the mandatory work day. So too, when collecting the $500 to meet Ren, one has enough options for collecting the money that it can be a week long journey or a quick trip to the gambling houses.

As to the forgiveness about nostalgia/fan service, I agree it it makes up for much. I think this playthrough will remind me just how much of a Shenmue game this is.
I had multiple NPCs that had dialogue that did not answer my questions, but provided a fun anecdote or something. I didn't think that aspect was that far off from Shenmue I. However, almost every single wandering NPC in Shenmue II can have you follow them to the goal destination.

I had multiple NPCs that had dialogue that did not answer my questions, but provided a fun anecdote or something. I didn't think that aspect was that far off from Shenmue I. However, almost every single wandering NPC in Shenmue II can have you follow them to the goal destination.

Aye; regarding the silly comments (especially about Ryo and Shenhua), I think Bailu in particular nailed that feel. It balanced the intimacy of 1 with the guarded distance of those in 2.
I'd agree that following people in 2, if not the almost exclusive pragmatism of NPC interaction, lacked charm. I merely mean that it'd be nice if, for example, one didn't have to talk to every martial artist to find where the Red Snakes hang out (one wonders how robotic that will come on the 20th etc. playthrough).

Back