Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Always good to continue engaging this kind of social media if you already haven't. I am glad they're still promoting Shenmue 3. I do read too much into these things, but I think it'd be easy for them to go silent on Shenmue if it were a total disaster and they had no intention of continuing to support it. All I need to do is look at how Sega treated Shenmue in those years of starvation... It was very easy for them to just completely avoid the subject for years.

With this and the previous tweet today I'm leaning towards a worst case scenario of them pushing the DLC. Best case is Shenmue 4 of course.

Either way good to see them pushing the game still, even if they don't engage with the community groups enough imo.

We need Shenmue 3 on Switch. If Witcher 3 can be done, then so can Shenmue 3. 600-720p, 30fps and mid settings should run ok (says me, who knows nothing about games development).
And also Red Dead 2 was listed to be on switch today... 0_0

Another change of topic sorry, but Shenmue 3 is number 25 in Eurogamer's readers' top 50 games of the year chart.

Shenmue 3 is in a number of the staff member's top games of 2019

Who else got motion sickness trying to find all the chobu-chans?
Yesterday at a friends house in Lisbon who also loves Shenmue, I was able to play arround in Niawu and started to look for Chobu-Chans. Then, after 20 or 30 minutes I was stoned as fuck! hahaha

I started to have headaches and some kind of pre vomit state of being :ROFLMAO:
I had to stop!

That being said tho, Its awesomely fun trying to find those litle dudes. Their camoflage is hilarious sometimes. I loved it until the pain reached out to me lol

The fact that I don't really play videogames for almost 4 months wasn't helping I think.

I felt the same thing! And looking for herbs in first person had the same effect!

I think it has to do with the unlocked and VERY unstable framerate (I'm on base PS4, btw).

I'm praying for them to lock the framerate at 30fps in an upcoming patch. The game would look much better!

This is really my biggest complaint about the game, the very unstable framerate and terrible pop-ins... 😒

PS: If no one else has felt it, I'm already imagining someone saying that the problem is not the game but the Portuguese people. :LOL:

No i have that too on PS4 Pro. If i'm using the first person view sometimes while walking around,
its totally fine. But changing between third and first person a lot while looking around the shops
and then looking for a tiny item with these FOV settings and a unlocked framerate is really not a good idea.
Its like i'm trying to read a book in a car that is driving up and down a mountain. Just a matter of time until i pass out.

I just wanted to point out there's a hidden scene in the game where you get a very tiny insight into two character's private lives that is probably one of my favourite parts of the game. Felt very 'Shenmue' to show relatively unimportant NPCs having a life outside of waiting for Ryo to appear.

This wood-chopping mini-game... is there a trick to it? I couldn't figure out how to consistently get the 'very good' or 'excellent' chops. I noticed the music changing twice if you get the first then three in a row, but also not sure what it actually does?

Was watching the trailer for A Gamer's Journey again and looked closer at his close-up of the art for Chapter 4:

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 9.32.38 PM.png

Is that Zhu Yuanda sat there? I wonder if that was moved to Shenmue II during development, or if we were supposed to meet him again.

this guy's got a ton of followers on twitter (200K+). streaming live now to about 400 people. Epic's doing?
This guy was from Funhaus. The same people that made fun of Shenmue when the kickstarter was announced in 2015. He wasn't in those videos though and is no longer with them.

Last edited:
He got the game key for free, he said it at the beginning of the first stream.
He didnt say if it was provided by Deep Silver or Epic or if he reached out to them

Was watching the trailer for A Gamer's Journey again and looked closer at his close-up of the art for Chapter 4:

View attachment 6740

Is that Zhu Yuanda sat there? I wonder if that was moved to Shenmue II during development, or if we were supposed to meet him again.
Yes, it is. I believe if we don't see him again, we will meet people connected with him. He is Zhao Sunming's best friend, and in the character tree, he has a goon connected to him that has not been shown yet, but was tweeted out by Yu Suzuki during the Kickstarter.

in the character tree, he has a goon connected to him that has not been shown yet, but was tweeted out by Yu Suzuki during the Kickstarter.

I had a look at Suzuki's Twitter just now and couldn't find this?

Back