Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I loved 0, and I haven't even really felt compelled to replay that. But once my physical remastered copy of 3 - 5 arrives in February, I want to replay through the whole series.

I don’t even get diehard Yakuza fans. They already have a dozen games that take tons of time to complete. How are they so desperate for more? I get burned out a bit every time I play one and need a long break.
I have no problem not getting burnt out cause each entry has alot of unique content and story moments that give alot of variety. Like 5 has an absurd amount of content thats only in 5 . Its a series I can take a new entry in over and over again as long as the quality keeps up like it has. Only time i got kind of burnt was with kiwami 1 and thats cause that game was just lazy and a total afterthought.

Its just a series that has stayed a consistent source of enjoyment even in its weakest entries and is ingenius in its use of when to reuse stuff and when to focus on something fresh.
I loved 0, and I haven't even really felt compelled to replay that. But once my physical remastered copy of 3 - 5 arrives in February, I want to replay through the whole series.
I greatly look foreword to playing 3 through 5 again, especially 5. Its been so long since i touched 3 and 4 whereas 5 i just think was the most fun. Cant wait for the max comfy taxi driver parts especially.

Last edited:
I get that. I’m just saying there’s no shortage of games to enjoy. I don’t see why anyone would be desperate for a new Kiwami or whatever.
7 looks awesome to me. I can’t believe the fan base is that negative about it.

I get that. I’m just saying there’s no shortage of games to enjoy. I don’t see why anyone would be desperate for a new Kiwami or whatever.
7 looks awesome to me. I can’t believe the fan base is that negative about it.
I mean if you dont like turn based i dont see why you would be not dissapointed. Just cause theres alot of entries doesnt mean you dont want more. Like hell yes I want more of the thing I love.

The negative reception is also largely due to it being the mainline entry so all the characters and storylines they want to see continue (some have been mia for years now keep in mind) are now in the super big departure for the franchise and not the totally standalone spin off they just started, (judgement) which is the normal gameplay that people expect out of the series. Its kind of like if shenmue 4 was an rts or a shooter and we got a spin off with a new cast that was the normal gameplay. Its gonna divide people no matter what. Like some people probably want to see majima back in action for the first time since 2012 in a game thats not s massive shift, its not the same as the cliffhanger incomplete plot of shenmue but theres still continuity and a want to see where its many characters msy go especially since 6 barely had anyone from past games save for about 2 people.

No offense but i think the notion that you already have the old thing so you cant be upset about the new different thing is really misguided all around. I dont think its entitled to not be cool with a new direction that seems to be appealing to non fans more than actual ones, not the people throwing insults and threats over it like the reddit apparently is but i mean if you wanna play that card it works both ways sothat really shouldnt be used at all, fambases always have vocal sociopaths they should never represent the whole cause they never actually do. I just mean the people who arent excited for it or outright hate the direction. Im excited for it but even im let down and would of preferred a normal entry if im being totally honest. Its like, i play yakuza for yakuza, if i wanted a rurn based rpg id go play the other games on the market like that whereas i dont have any alternatives to yakuza other than the entries of the series i already played. I will judge it on its own merits but its totally understandable why others especially those that dislike turn based hate the direction and wont. Hell im actually pretty excited for 7 as of now.

Its all how it turns out, maybe it will be a panzer dragoon saga, or maybe itl be a valkyria revolution and fuck the franchise. We will ultimately just have to see.

Last edited:
I actually enjoyed Valkyria Revolution as well as the original games (working on 2 very slowly...haven't started 3 but have finished 4 and 1), and it was stated from the beginning to be a spin off, but ill informed fans thought it was a new direction for the games they loved....it wasn't.

I actually enjoyed Valkyria Revolution as well as the original games (working on 2 very slowly...haven't started 3 but have finished 4 and 1), and it was stated from the beginning to be a spin off, but ill informed fans thought it was a new direction for the games they loved....it wasn't.
I think the issue was they released it after a long dormant period where the series was dead, especially in the west. If they had announced 4 alongside it especially since it was in development anyway it would have made a world of difference.

Though what really killed it was just the game itself, cause alot of people gave it a shot its just the gameplay was panned pretty hard on its own merits. I feel kind of bad for it tbh cause i feel if they had just went the full action route instead of the weird in between they did to make up for the backlash it could of been alright cause the story aint the wort when you ignore how edgy it was especially for a valkyria game. I guess opening the game on a dude gloating about rape before getting murdered also did it very little favors. Glad y7 is actually sticking to its own merits and doubling down on the gsmeplay chsnge in contrast, at least if it sinks it sinks as its own thing.

Last edited:
I just think it’s worth trying it out before spending months complaining about it. Combat is just one aspect of the series and I wonder if it’s even the aspect most people enjoy above everything else. There’s so much to the series.

I guess I can kinda understand, but....reading comprehension. Should we never have spin offs for anything unless it is always hand in hand with a main series entry? That's part of what irked me about this place when Shenmue Online was announced. The circumstances around it from the get go was that is was never intended to replace the franchise, but it got so much hate because it went a different path. We were less than a year and half removed from Shenmue IIx coming out in PAL territories and the Japanese Dorikore rerelease. I wanted Shenmue III as much as the next person, but I would've given the game a chance, having been able to comprehend what a spinoff was.

I guess I can kinda understand, but....reading comprehension. Should we never have spin offs for anything unless it is always hand in hand with a main series entry? That's part of what irked me about this place when Shenmue Online was announced. The circumstances around it from the get go was that is was never intended to replace the franchise, but it got so much hate because it went a different path. We were less than a year and half removed from Shenmue IIx coming out in PAL territories and the Japanese Dorikore rerelease. I wanted Shenmue III as much as the next person, but I would've given the game a chance, having been able to comprehend what a spinoff was.
Its all about how its handled, in y7's case its because it isnt a spin off that its angering people. For valkyria its cause the game was announced at the worst time and the game was just panned all around when it released.

Its always gonna be a mixed bag of results. Sometimes you get re4 and completely revitalize your franchise so even mainline shifts do land sometimes, and even that still divided old fans cause even today alot of people prefer the fixed cameras and miss that its gone but thst still is a minority over the total shift the industry took afterwords.

I think for ways 7 would avoid the backlash would of been being upfront about the change since the start rather than announcing and promoting the game years in advance. I get they wanted to have something to show for themselves when revealing the shift but i feel like that did them less favors in the end. The combo of years of anticipation plus mass subversions tends to not work well most of the time.

Last edited:
Do keep in mind im playing half devils advocate here. Im just trying to express why people are upset and not lump them alltogether with some assholes on reddit that cant take a different opinion. Im mostly lookking foreword to 7 but i share alot of concerns detractors of the game have.

And I think one could articulate those points as you just did, and come across as reasonable...but I guess most can't. Thus, the internet. :/

Playing Alien Isolation on Switch and I'm enjoying it a lot. Then I realized IGN rated it 5.9 -- The same as Shenmue III.

Do I like mediocre games all of a sudden? :unsure:

Nah, most reviewers praised the game, but still... I hope people don't listen to IGN.

Playing Shenmue 3 has made me really get into martial arts, to the point where I've been rewatching Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves, an old BBC3 show I loved when I was at school.

Anybody else seen it? It's a magazine/doc/street magic style series about different kung fu and martial arts styles presented by Chris Crudelli; someone who I'm certain is capable of killing a man with his bare hands.

Playing Shenmue 3 has made me watching the Jacky Chan's filmography with Armour of God to begin with. I also spent sleepless nights in Virtua Fighter 5. Someone has to do a fictive character select menu featuring Ryo just to know how it may look.

Its all about how its handled, in y7's case its because it isnt a spin off that its angering people. For valkyria its cause the game was announced at the worst time and the game was just panned all around when it released.

Its always gonna be a mixed bag of results. Sometimes you get re4 and completely revitalize your franchise so even mainline shifts do land sometimes, and even that still divided old fans cause even today alot of people prefer the fixed cameras and miss that its gone but thst still is a minority over the total shift the industry took afterwords.

I think for ways 7 would avoid the backlash would of been being upfront about the change since the start rather than announcing and promoting the game years in advance. I get they wanted to have something to show for themselves when revealing the shift but i feel like that did them less favors in the end. The combo of years of anticipation plus mass subversions tends to not work well most of the time.
To be honest most of backlash would probably not exist if simply the dropped the 7 from the title. Since Kiryu story is over and the team seems kinda burned out of just producing the action jrpg I really understand them for wanting to do something different.

And to be honest this one seems to be returning to the wackier ways pre dragon engine when the saga has sillier and more varied heat actions. I expect it will do quite well just for the crazy Yakuza humor.

Who else got motion sickness trying to find all the chobu-chans?
Yesterday at a friends house in Lisbon who also loves Shenmue, I was able to play arround in Niawu and started to look for Chobu-Chans. Then, after 20 or 30 minutes I was stoned as fuck! hahaha

I started to have headaches and some kind of pre vomit state of being :ROFLMAO:
I had to stop!

That being said tho, Its awesomely fun trying to find those litle dudes. Their camoflage is hilarious sometimes. I loved it until the pain reached out to me lol

The fact that I don't really play videogames for almost 4 months wasn't helping I think.

Back