Random Shenmue III Thoughts

if Yu Suzuki ever wanted to raise money, he should auction off pages of shenmue,1/2/3 script and pieces of artwork, like those sold on the propstore.com

would be great to have an original framed up page of the story script or artwork.

From all things related to Shenmue and Project Berkley, "The Legend of Akira" is certainly the most valuable. Its destiny lies in a museum.

edit: I forgot Shenmue Saturn... if the rom still exists.

Last edited:
Imagine doing the SII planks with the speed of the SIII QTE’s going back down to 1F when you fail.
I used to save between planks when I was younger and after my 3rd or 4th play-through, I started using guides to speed things up, so it wouldn’t have made that much difference 😂

I have to say though that as much as I hated them, the planks really did a great job of raising the stakes. The QTEs weren’t particularly difficult, but the potential consequence of failing one of them always had me on edge and my nervousness often lead to stupid mistakes.

While the QTEs in S3 were much harder due to the stupidly short time-windows, knowing that at worst I’d only have to go back ten seconds or so did very little in the way of creating suspense. If anything, they just made me appreciate how well QTEs were executed in the first two games more.

I’ve never played a Final Fantasy ever before (never been a big RPG or turn based fan). Had a lot of fun with the FF7 demo. The game is absolutely gorgeous on PS4 Pro and I can’t help but lie seeing what they were able to produce with Unreal Engine, what a prospective Shenmue game with that level of care and budget could look like.

Completely unrealistic I know, but doesn’t stop my mind from imagining.

I’ve never played a Final Fantasy ever before (never been a big RPG or turn based fan). Had a lot of fun with the FF7 demo. The game is absolutely gorgeous on PS4 Pro and I can’t help but lie seeing what they were able to produce with Unreal Engine, what a prospective Shenmue game with that level of care and budget could look like.

Completely unrealistic I know, but doesn’t stop my mind from imagining.

We'd have the game of the decade to close off 2010-2019. Just like S1&2 ended the 90's & started off the millennium decade with a bang.:whistle:

Yup, that's king Pooplicker himself. Karimov was what he was going by.

Just a shitty human being, I wouldn't engage him for even a second.

As mentioned a while back, all of the trolls from before release have all gone away, but this asshole is still peddling the same crap. I REALLY wish KS would moderate people like this, because he does nothing to help anyone.

I used to save between planks when I was younger and after my 3rd or 4th play-through, I started using guides to speed things up, so it wouldn’t have made that much difference 😂

I have to say though that as much as I hated them, the planks really did a great job of raising the stakes. The QTEs weren’t particularly difficult, but the potential consequence of failing one of them always had me on edge and my nervousness often lead to stupid mistakes.

While the QTEs in S3 were much harder due to the stupidly short time-windows, knowing that at worst I’d only have to go back ten seconds or so did very little in the way of creating suspense. If anything, they just made me appreciate how well QTEs were executed in the first two games more.

Agree 100%. The QTEs in Shenmue III were one of the disappointments I had, considering I really liked the first two game's implementation. Shenmue 3 went backwards hard on that one.

From all things related to Shenmue and Project Berkley, "The Legend of Akira" is certainly the most valuable. Its destiny lies in a museum.

edit: I forgot Shenmue Saturn... if the rom still exists.

I still want to see The Old Man and the Peach Tree prototype. Someone should go and raid Japan Sega's archives and see if any of this shit still exists...I'd love to see that concept demo...not to mention whatever remains of Saturn Shenmue.

But I have a hunch most of that stuff is probably lost now. It saddens me how much shit from those days is now considered lost. I would just love to see some of the prototypes that were being worked on from those days.

Although you never know...the Nintendo/Sony PlayStation hybrid prototype surfaced eventually so who is to say some of this stuff isn't just waiting to be found?

Last edited:
I still want to see The Old Man and the Peach Tree concept demo. Someone should go and raid Japan Sega's archives and see if any of this shit still exists...I'd love to see that concept demo...not to mention whatever remains of Saturn Shenmue.

But I have a hunch most of that stuff is probably lost now. It saddens me that no one thought to archive shit back in those days. How many issues of lost source code do we hear about? I guess that's how little they thought about this stuff back then in terms of archival.

oh yea, rare artifacts and relics of treasures def resides in Sega's vault. Some former employees got mint Panzer dragoon Saga copies along with other classic saturn games that was found in a vault and allowed to be taken home when Sega was closing up one of thier smaller offices. I remember seeing pictures posted about it.

Haven't seen the video, frankly i don't care to but i did take a glance at the ResetEra thread of that dunkey video and of course, people are trashing the game, again. Can't believe Shenmue III is still being dunked on almost 4 months later. You would think the detractors would've moved on.

Haven't seen the video, frankly i don't care to but i did take a glance at the ResetEra thread of that dunkey video and of course, people are trashing the game, again. Can't believe Shenmue III is still being dunked on almost 4 months later. You would think the detractors would've moved on.
Yeesh, that ResetEra thread was absolutely pathetic. The hate for Shenmue is always going to be there no matter what.

The video is funny, like most of his videos. Highlight is him making up lyrics to the Shenmue theme in his frustration :p

Yeesh, that ResetEra thread was absolutely pathetic. The hate for Shenmue is always going to be there no matter what.
Any chance to trash Shenmue blows up on Era -- they just can't help themselves. It's the perfect crossover of "quirky game I don't get" + controversial Kickstarter + Epic.

The worst are the people who'll pop in and say they're delighting in Yu Suzuki's failure. I have no idea when it was decided Suzuki was some horrible human being worthy of contempt. Was the Kickstarter really that painful for these people? I haven't spent a single day of my life upset about the Kickstarter, so it's hard for me to relate. I always assume these people are younger than 20 and have no earthly idea who he even is outside of hearing his name in these types of YouTube videos. I probably over-idealize him in my head, but he's always been one of those developers I put on a pedestal so it's a bit nauseating for me to read those types of posts...

I personally found the Dunkey video funny, but I'm more than aware of the game's weaknesses. I like the style of his video compared to the trash that shrill and large British dude whose name is escaping me made. You can tell somewhere deep in Dunkey's head he has some admiration or understanding of Shenmue; he actually knows Lan Di's voice changed! I also don't worry about negative impact four months out. Honestly, I think Dunkey's review might've sold a few copies just because the game looks so ridiculous.

Last edited:
The worst are the people who'll pop in and say they're delighting in Yu Suzuki's failure. I have no idea when it was decided Suzuki was some horrible human being worthy of contempt. Was the Kickstarter really that painful for these people? I haven't spent a single day of my life upset about the Kickstarter, so it's hard for me to relate. I always assume these people are younger than 20 and have no earthly idea who he even is outside of hearing his name in these types of YouTube videos. I probably over-idealize him in my head, but he's always been one of those developers I put on a pedestal so it's a bit nauseating for me to read those types of posts...

I personally found the Dunkey video funny, but I'm more than aware of the game's weaknesses. I like the style of his video compared to the trash that shrill and large British dude whose name is escaping me made. You can tell somewhere deep in Dunkey's head he has some admiration or understanding of Shenmue; he actually knows Lan Di's voice changed! I also don't worry about negative impact four months out. Honestly, I think Dunkey's review might've sold a few copies just because the game looks so ridiculous.
And that he noticed the fighting was changed.

Back