Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Dunkey was just using all his moves with the trigger, no wonder he wasn't satisfied lol

Question for anyone who might know.

I‘m thinking about restarting the game and doing a full play through. I still haven’t played the story DLC and to be honest, I want to platinum the game but I’m on my initial new game plus. I left my first new game plus save just after you meet Ren. I failed the fishing rally in Bailu which means I have to do it all over again from the beginning anyways to get the side story trophy.

If I start a new save my current progress from the in progress new game plus won’t carry over will it? In terms of collectibles I mean. I still have to do all herbs in both Bailu and Niaowu (that’s proven to be a pain in the ass) and all other collectibles yet.

My other thought was maybe start a new game and leave my current initial second run save to come back to for collectibles.

but I’m curious if anything will carry over to a new save. Don’t want to overwrite the save and lose all my current progress if nothing carries over until the 2nd run is complete.

Also, does the money exploit in Niaowu still work? The pawn shop method I mean? Or did they patch it out? The other thought was get all the collectible trophies now and then come back and do a third run of the main story and side quests.

Last edited:
Does anyone think Ryos build is a little off. Sure he is strong and has been doing martia arts all his life but his arms and chest are huge. Isn’t he only 18?

I believe everything except for story and story related items carry over. Money, tokens, moves, move progress, training, and other items carry over. Number of Chobu Chan Fighter arcade machines also reset in Niaowu.

The money exploit was patched.

Did ys.net literally hire 3d modellers for 2 weeks then never again because you notice the replication in models everywhere, and half the capsules are literally random stuff shrunk down.

Maybe I was expecting the boat to feel unique. It just looks like a house on a platform.

Does anyone think Ryos build is a little off. Sure he is strong and has been doing martia arts all his life but his arms and chest are huge. Isn’t he only 18?
He looks slimmer in S3 than the first two, i didn't like it i think if he's been training every day (like he should - Wudu) then he would have broad shoulders and arms. He's faced opponents with buffier builds.

Got ma 100%

ETWR1-yXgAA30CO

edit, mistake corrected

Could you develop, please? 🙂

Ys said something along the lines that a dreamcast style shenmue 3 game wouldn't work today, the same way a movie of 20 years ago wouldn't work and that although shenmue fans might want a older style shenmue game, making games is a business and they need to appeal to new gamers to get new fans. (i personally dont agree)

he also aimed to remove stressful gameplay as he felt gamers would just give up and stop playing etc

Last edited:
Did Lan Di know that Ryo had the phoenix mirror? Did Lan Di even know of its existence? It's interesting that Lan Di doesn't mention it when he sees Ryo in the castle. It seemed the perfect time for Lan Di and Ryo to engage in dialogue about Iwao and the phoenix mirror. Lan Di alludes to Ryo's kung fu level but if he had known about the phoenix mirror surely that would have been the first thing he would've wanted to know about.

Lan Di's emotionless reaction when he sees the fake mirror(assuming it was the fake one) that Ren was holding is open to interpretation.

I'm not convinced he knew of its existence. This opens another debate about whether the bad endings of S1&2 are canon. I don't remember exactly what Lan Di says in the bad ending of S1, but I think he says 'I heard there's another mirror'. In the bad ending of S2, he takes the mirror if I'm not mistaken. So if these bad endings are canon, then when did he come to know about the mirror?

We know that Chai knew about the mirror in Shenmue 1 but fans have debated on whether Chai told Lan Di about the mirror. This might be a plot hole in Shenmue 1's story.

Niao Sun knew about the phoenix mirror but it's conceivable she never told Lan Di about it as she double-crosses him.

Another debate worth having (sorry guys) is how Niao Sun came to known about the mirrors. I don't know anything about her back story. What's her association with the Chi You Men?

Although I'm not as excited about S4 as I was for S3, there are still a lot of unanswered questions which I look forward to being answered.

Last edited:
Another debate worth having (sorry guys) is how Niao Sun came to known about the mirrors. I don't know anything about her back story. What's her association with the Chi You Men?
She's one of the Shitennou of the CYM, like Lan Di, represented by the four gate guardians. I don't know the pronunciations for the guardians in Chinese, but Niao Sun is represented by Suzaku, the South Gate fire bird. Lan Di is represented by Seiryu, the blue dragon of the East Gate. I believe Ziming would be represented by Byakko, the white tiger of the West Gate, and I don't know if anything is really known about the fourth one, who would be represented by Genbu (North Gate).

These could tie in to their relative "turfs" I would suspect, so Ziming might be more relevant to the story in the western part of China, and fourth leader may oversea things in the Beijing area.

Ziming is not one of the four leaders, as confirmed by Suzuki back in 2014...despite the Kenji Miyawaki manga design bearing a striking resemblance to the silhouette in the Chiyoumen leader picture.

I touch on Chai a bit here: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/i...have-we-learned-in-shenmue-i-ii-and-iii.2566/

It seems that Lan Di, after leaving Kowloon, headed straight to Niaowu, and if he did go to Bailu, he was not there for very long. It is likely that he was in communication with Niao Sun's people, and that since she had seemingly sent Yanlang and his thugs to Bailu to kidnap Yuan and Xu and attempt to find the Phoenix Mirror, he would try to make his way to the cliff temple, and stopped in Niaowu...for a meeting with Niao Sun? For a bit of rest? Hard telling. Yanlang confirms that Chai was sent to keep an eye on them as they terrorized the village.

Chai also says that his dream is to work for Lan Di in Shenmue I...so maybe he either is currently Niao Sun and wants to be under Lan Di? He is stated as a low ranking member of the Chiyoumen in the guides. Since we don't know how the Chiyoumen hierarchy really works aside from Tentei and the four leaders, Chai could also ostensibly be commanded by any of the leaders. So this is an unknown.

Also, Zhu could've been lying the whole time about Lan Di heading to Bailu...YS has stated that Zhu can twist the truth to help his friends. And Zhu has stated that Zhao was his best friend...maybe he's trying to protect Lan Di and send Ryo into Bailu, which he already knew was going to be ravaged by the Chiyoumen/Red Snakes?

Did Lan Di know that Ryo had the phoenix mirror? Did Lan Di even know of its existence? It's interesting that Lan Di doesn't mention it when he sees Ryo in the castle. It seemed the perfect time for Lan Di and Ryo to engage in dialogue about Iwao and the phoenix mirror. Lan Di alludes to Ryo's kung fu level but if he had known about the phoenix mirror surely that would have been the first thing he would've wanted to know about.

Lan Di's emotionless reaction when he sees the fake mirror(assuming it was the fake one) that Ren was holding is open to interpretation.

I'm not convinced he knew of it's existence. This opens another debate about whether the bad endings of S1&2 are canon. I don't remember exactly what Lan Di says in the bad ending of S1, but I think he says 'I heard there's another mirror'. In the bad ending of S2, he takes the mirror if I'm not mistaken. So if these bad endings are canon, then when did he come to know about the mirror?

We know that Chai knew about the mirror in Shenmue 1 but fans have debated on whether Chai told Lan Di about the mirror. This might be a plot hole in Shenmue 1's story.

Niao Sun knew about the phoenix mirror but it's conceivable she never told Lan Di about it as she double-crosses him.

Although I'm not as excited about S4 as I was for S3, there are still a lot of unanswered questions which I look forward to being answered.
I'm positive that Lan Di knew about the Phoenix Mirror's existence, but it seems he never found out that the Hazukis had possession of it.

You're right, he does say "I heard there's another mirror." Regardless of whether or not the bad endings are canon, I can't believe he only knew about one of the mirrors. That doesn't really make any sense to me. It would have been better if he said, "I heard you have the other mirror." But I think it was intentionally worded that way because it was possible to get the bad ending before you, the player, even knew there was another mirror. Master Chen even tells Ryo, "[Lan Di] probably didn't realize your father had both of them." He didn't say that he probably didn't realize another one existed.

It's difficult to tell what Lan Di is thinking from his expressions, because he always looks cold and emotionless. But I think it's pretty obvious that Ren's mirror was the fake one. Ryo clearly stated that he wasn't willing to risk Shenhua's safety by giving away a counterfeit and when the time came, he gave Niao Sun the mirror he had on his person. Ren must have still had the fake one that he showed Ryo earlier.

Back