Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Exactly I was in the livestream too and he seemed pretty genuine that he and YSNET didnt know at that stage.

However them not knowing now is beyond odd.
Indeed. In a side note, just seen that Cedric / Shibuya have moved on to another game called Twin Mirror. Doesn’t actually look too bad.

If the guys at the top don't want the info to be public, then Cedric's hands would be tied, right? Perhaps he signed an NDA about discussing figures. That's the same reason no one's gonna realistically answer a question like "Are you working on Shenmue IV" on Twitter.

If the guys at the top don't want the info to be public, then Cedric's hands would be tied, right? Perhaps he signed an NDA about discussing figures.
Sure, but then why wouldn’t he just tell us that he can’t disclose the information? There were other questions that he refused to answer on such grounds but has repeatedly stated that he doesn’t have sales figures for S3. He doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who’d bullshit like that.

Indeed. In a side note, just seen that Cedric / Shibuya have moved on to another game called Twin Mirror. Doesn’t actually look too bad.
Yeah it looks pretty decent from the trailer. Going to keep a close eye on that.

I would love to see a interview with Yu Suzuki discussing everything that was cut from Shenmue 3. Characters, plots, side quests, etc. Even though we can't experience it it'd be nice to know about it at least.

SIDENOTE

I'm surprised we didn't fight Niao Sun at the end of Shenmue 3.

I'm surprised we didn't fight Niao Sun at the end of Shenmue 3.

I hope someone can find it but an earlier version of Shenmue 3 work plan had boss battles with 4 Chiyoumen leaders listed. So I assume at one point we were intending on a fight with Niao Sun. Like you said it would be interesting to see what got changed/removed once Baisha was cut. See an updated version of planning document here-

S3-Workflow.png

I hope someone can find it but an earlier version of Shenmue 3 work plan had boss battles with 4 Chiyoumen leaders listed. So I assume at one point we were intending on a fight with Niao Sun. Like you said it would be interesting to see what got changed/removed once Baisha was cut. See an updated version of planning document here-

S3-Workflow.png

That's the thing why cut the most important aspect of the game? I assume everything in Shenmue 3 would lead up to fighting the 4 chiyomen bosses.

Shenmue 1 you progress and fight Chai. Shenmue 2 you progress and fight Don Niu. Shenmue 3 you progress and fight Niao Sun(entry level chiyomen) or all 4. We didnt find out who she was till the very end.

I believe Yu Suzuki is planning 6 games. If only 5 games the progression and pacing would be way to fast to make sense. Shenmue 4 we whoop all the Chiyomens asses. Shenmue 5 Lan Di gets his wig split. Shenmue 6 we beat the ultimate baddie and claim Joy, Nozomi and Shenhua as wives and ride off into the sunset.

Last edited:
That's the thing why cut the most important aspect of the game? I assume everything in Shenmue 3 would lead up to fighting the 4 chiyomen bosses.

It’s hard to say until we get an in-depth retrospective of the games development but I theorize it had something to do with the way the game was initially funded and then how partners like Deep Silver and right at the end Epic came on board and provided additional funding.

It appears they took the delays and extra funds to flesh out and iterate both Bailu and Niaowu but ran out of time and potentially funds to create a truly fulfilling ending thus why the Fortified Castle felt unfinished and rather abrupt. I believe Cedric has confirmed that the ending wasn’t what was originally planned so clearly some serious cuts were made.

If only 5 games the progression and pacing would be way to fast to make sense.

It’s something I think a lot of us have wondered out loud since the end of Shenmue 3. Now while Ryo’s ability as a martial artist has significantly improved he’s still clearly no match for Lan Di. For that I am thankful the game kept that consistent logic, however how does he ever hope of getting revenge and taking on the other members of the Chiyoumen and keep that journey somewhat plausible?

A Grandmaster somehow unlocking Ryo’s latent talent or ability? I was struck by line by Master Bei saying martial arts can’t be learned overnight and the third game in particular goes to great length to demonstrate this, so this seems unlikely. Of course many of us have speculated Ryo won’t be able to beat Lan Di in a traditional way, so unless there’s a giant time skip (something the original GDC Shenmue talk dispels) it doesn’t leave Yu a lot of plausible options.

It’s hard to say until we get an in-depth retrospective of the games development but I theorize it had something to do with the way the game was initially funded and then how partners like Deep Silver and right at the end Epic came on board and provided additional funding.

It appears they took the delays and extra funds to flesh out and iterate both Bailu and Niaowu but ran out of time and potentially funds to create a truly fulfilling ending thus why the Fortified Castle felt unfinished and rather abrupt. I believe Cedric has confirmed that the ending wasn’t what was originally planned so clearly some serious cuts were made.

It’s something I think a lot of us have wondered out loud since the end of Shenmue 3. Now while Ryo’s ability as a martial artist has significantly improved he’s still clearly no match for Lan Di. For that I am thankful the game kept that consistent logic, however how does he ever hope of getting revenge and taking on the other members of the Chiyoumen and keep that journey somewhat plausible?

A Grandmaster somehow unlocking Ryo’s latent talent or ability? I was struck by line by Master Bei saying martial arts can’t be learned overnight and the third game in particular goes to great length to demonstrate this, so this seems unlikely. Of course many of us have speculated Ryo won’t be able to beat Lan Di in a traditional way, so unless there’s a giant time skip (something the original GDC Shenmue talk dispels) it doesn’t leave Yu a lot of plausible options.

The only way to fix this IMO is to make Shenmue 4 quite a bit longer and story driven DLC.

There's a solution to this... a (training) montage!

how does he ever hope of getting revenge and taking on the other members of the Chiyoumen

There is a reason revealed by Yu in a previous interview but I'll hide it in spoiler tags.

Yu said outright in an interview with ShenmueMaster that the feeling of "revenge" will completely disappear. Ryo won't get payback on Lan Di. The story obviously goes beyond such things. Maybe it will take more than Ryo alone to take down other Chi You members though, maybe through the strength of Shenhua, Ren and even Xiuying?

There is a reason revealed by Yu in a previous interview but I'll hide it in spoiler tags.

Yu said outright in an interview with ShenmueMaster that the feeling of "revenge" will completely disappear. Ryo won't get payback on Lan Di. The story obviously goes beyond such things. Maybe it will take more than Ryo alone to take down other Chi You members though, maybe through the strength of Shenhua, Ren and even Xiuying?

Ryo won't fight the chiyomen? That's underwhelming to say the least.

Chiyoumen most possibly, but with others by his side?
Lan Di, most likely not, unless Yu has rewritten the story since then.

Not exactly; he will but perhaps not in the way we are all thinking.

Don't forget, the other 4 are not stated (either one way or the other) to be at the same level as Lan Di (and Niao Sun has been shown that she absolutely is a flunky boss {LIKE I SAID SHE WOULD BE!}, but still a top martial artist should the need arise), so he may go toe to toe after all.

That’s not what the spoiler says though. It’s only referring to the one person.

Don't forget, the other 4 are not stated (either one way or the other) to be at the same level as Lan Di (and Niao Sun has been shown that she absolutely is a flunky boss {LIKE I SAID SHE WOULD BE!}, but still a top martial artist should the need arise), so he may go toe to toe after all.

My thoughts exactly.

Chiyoumen most possibly, but with others by his side?
Lan Di, most likely not, unless Yu has rewritten the story since then.

It always felt like Ryo would fight everyone and win. Seemed that he would contain himself from killing Lan Di focusing more on the person pulling the strings behind the scenes. After the way Shenmue 3 ended it just seems improbable that Ryo could beat Lan Di conventionally. I could be wrong though.

True, but I imagine head honcho TeiTei will possibly be more brutal than Lan Di. I personally couldn't see Ryo alone taking him down if he struggles against Lan Di. Unless he is able to focus more on training and less on being so... well, Ryo lol.

I rewatched Kenji’s 2012 and 2013 interview with Yu Suzuki and while he does confirm the feeling of revenge dissipates and Ryo learns there are more important things, it doesn’t specify where in the story this change occurs (we would assume at a very pivotal moment in the narrative and likely near the end). The interviewer insinuates there won’t be this epic fight between Lan Di and Ryo at the end and most of us speculated as much but I believe he will face off and defeat other members of Chiyoumen or 4 Big Bosses as Suzuki states himself.

I am really curious if Tentai will remain in the games.

Back