Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Looking back, were they going for a more realistic approach originally (landscapes, shenmue tree, animals, Shenhuas house like in 2)?

Yeah I know concerning the kickstarter video. I mean the later part, which has at least different lighting, some alternate versions of stuff in the final game.

I think the difference is what you basically don't see in that development footage: NPCs. If I had to guess, I think once the world started to fill up with the types of NPCs that his team was able to draw, they might not have fit the environments, at least in terms of lighting. Honestly, though, it looks kind of like not a whole lot changed aside from shaders.

As much as I don't mind the change, and do think it would have been a tough decision to find a place for Ryo to sleep in that house as it was, I do sort of wish they had kept Shenhua's house as it looked in SII.

Also, it's weird seeing Ine-san in Bailu. I don't think I ever saw that footage before.

Please please no super natural stuff. Hated in 2 as a kid and loved that they retconned it. Shenmue can still be magical and not exist in a fake world. We have other games for that.

There was quite a bit of supernatural elements in Shenmue III, mostly regarding Shenhua and her weird abilities. But also, let's not forget that it's a story about two magic stone mirrors and a prophecy long foretold.

Loving the Langhuishan track in battle rally which you are unable to go further down in the main game if I'm not mistaken.
Also the pulled back camera.

Please please no super natural stuff. Hated in 2 as a kid and loved that they retconned it. Shenmue can still be magical and not exist in a fake world. We have other games for that.
A chinese story driven game without magic/mysticism? Really? Trying to figure out what they gonna do if by a miracle, we got the final chapter of the game and a Phoenix and a dragon fight each other full filling the profecy. Without being magical. A profecy is already a super natural thing. Do i need to adress that?
I think some how, i can't say everything i think about Shen3 in here, without people calling me hater. That's kinda sad.

Are we still waiting for sales figures for Shenmue 3? What's going on? Are they ever going to release them?😠
Still waiting. People can tweet Cedric to ask but he'd not had the sales in march. The last we heard was the Embracer Q3 conference where they said it did financially fine

If we get Shenmue 4 in the next few years, Shenmue 3 was a success. If not, then it was a failure.

- Lars Wingefors, CEO of Embracer Group, who own Koch Media and subsequently, Deep Silver, said that Shenmue 3 did "fine" financially.
- Yu Suzuki seems to think that a Shenmue 4 is very highly likely. He knows more than we do, obviously.
- The first two games didn't set the sales charts alight, either. Granted, it took us 18 years to get a sequel, but with how different things are these days compared to back in 2000, we are in a much better place to see the franchise concluded.

- Lars Wingefors, CEO of Embracer Group, who own Koch Media and subsequently, Deep Silver, said that Shenmue 3 did "fine" financially.
- Yu Suzuki seems to think that a Shenmue 4 is very highly likely. He knows more than we do, obviously.
- The first two games didn't set the sales charts alight, either. Granted, it took us 18 years to get a sequel, but with how different things are these days compared to back in 2000, we are in a much better place to see the franchise concluded.
Add to that Cedric saying if Shenmue III bombed it would make a Shenmue 4 50/50 so I don't think sales of 3 would be a reflection on Shenmue 4.

Better sales help but it sounds like they had plans for various scenarios.

Add to that Cedric saying if Shenmue III bombed it would make a Shenmue 4 50/50 so I don't think sales of 3 would be a reflection on Shenmue 4.

Better sales help but it sounds like they had plans for various scenarios.
So, if that's true then Shenmue 3 sales effect Shenmue 4's features.(Will Shenmue 4 become an expansion for 3 or a real sequel with a some gameplay improvements ?)

So, if that's true then Shenmue 3 sales effect Shenmue 4's features.(Will Shenmue 4 become an expansion for 3 or a real sequel with a some gameplay improvements ?)
We'd be guessing at this stage but I'd imagine it would have an impact on who may or may not want to fund the game/come in on investment, which could impact onto what Shenmue 4 looks like as a game.

Until the game gets announced we really won't know and even more pressing is what the sales figures are. I know some users did some estimates on here a way back (before the Embracer conference) so that might give us a range to work with but no more.

People might be better off asking Cedric, he seems quite forthcoming and may offer some insight, if he's even been told by now.

We'd be guessing at this stage but I'd imagine it would have an impact on who may or may not want to fund the game/come in on investment, which could impact onto what Shenmue 4 looks like as a game.

Until the game gets announced we really won't know and even more pressing is what the sales figures are. I know some users did some estimates on here a way back (before the Embracer conference) so that might give us a range to work with but no more.

People might be better off asking Cedric, he seems quite forthcoming and may offer some insight, if he's even been told by now.
I continue to find the whole situation a little strange. I get that the publisher might not be too keen to share sales figures with the public (especially if they’re not great), but for them to keep the figures from a key investor (and in turn, the developer one presumes) is bizarre.

YSNet and Cedric should be due a good chunk of the money generated by S3 and so regardless of the total amount, I really can’t see how they could not divulge this information.

I continue to find the whole situation a little strange. I get that the publisher might not be too keen to share sales figures with the public (especially if they’re not great), but for them to keep the figures from a key investor (and in turn, the developer one presumes) is bizarre.

YSNet and Cedric should be due a good chunk of the money generated by S3 and so regardless of the total amount, I really can’t see how they could not divulge this information.
I agree with you here. Cedric was onboard from the off and an investor. I'm assuming YSNET haven't had sales figures or if they have they're not sharing them.

It's all rather strange.

I might ask Cedric on Twitter. Probably wont get an answer but worth a go.

I agree with you here. Cedric was onboard from the off and an investor. I'm assuming YSNET haven't had sales figures or if they have they're not sharing them.

It's all rather strange.

I might ask Cedric on Twitter. Probably wont get an answer but worth a go.
Again, I understand YSNet not sharing them publicly, but for them to have not shared them with Cedric seems rather unbelievable which in turn suggests that they are also in the dark.

I suppose Cedric could (have) be(en) lying, but having listened to him talk during the livestream a while back I very much doubt that’s the case nor can I see why he would lie.

Again, I understand YSNet not sharing them publicly, but for them to have not shared them with Cedric seems rather unbelievable which in turn suggests that they are also in the dark.

I suppose Cedric could (have) be(en) lying, but having listened to him talk during the livestream a while back I very much doubt that’s the case nor can I see why he would lie.
Exactly I was in the livestream too and he seemed pretty genuine that he and YSNET didnt know at that stage.

However them not knowing now is beyond odd.

Back