Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Got the Wind Dragon Outfit; and it looks amazing just like the one Ryo wears in the concept art chapters.
Thanks Hiki.
View attachment 16058
If it is still planned that Ryo will have a new design later in the series, I wonder if it will be an entirely new outfit now that these Wind Dragon clothes were included in Shenmue 3.

I think is possible that Ryo will have a new design later in the series, maybe the blue outfit like the chapters cards, or maybe Yu Suzuki want to do another outfit this time. Just the fact that we can get the green outfit like in the chapters cards is wonderful to me, so at least i hope we can get a DLC for the blue outfit as well, and i love VF so it will be sweet for me to see Ryo with Akira's outfit.

These days i'm playing Shenmue II again, my second playthrough of the game, i'm in Kowloon, in my opinion even Shenmue II have a slow pace in relation to some things, Ryo takes almost the entire game to find Yuanda Zhu and talk to Zhu, and this is the main quest of Ryo in the game. Shenmue II have the fastest pace if we compare to the other games, but Shenmue II have slow pace things as well.

Why i'm saying this things about Shenmue II? because when i look at all the Shenmue games i see that this story really is a slow pace story, i think it was orient that said that Shenmue III have a similar amount of story progression as the other games in the Shenmue series, that it is the things in between that Shenmue III lack, i don't remember the exact words but it was something like this.

I agree with orient, Shenmue III have a similar amount of story progression as the other games. The Phoenix Mirror is not even with Ryo anymore, is with Niao Sun now, Shenmue III advanced the story as well, and Shenmue III story is not just the fortified castle, but it is the things in between that needed more development.

In Shenmue II Ryo takes almost the entire game to find Yuanda Zhu and Lan Di, and after all that Ryo did in Shenmue II Ryo and Lan Di only looked at each other, to me this things are not bad things.

I like the slow pace of the Shenmue games, it is the different, special and unique things about the Shenmue games that made me become a Shenmue fan, but what i'm saying is that the things in between in Shenmue II are really wonderful and memorable like Ryo training with Xiuying, Xiuying's story with Ziming, Ren appearing in the story and much more.

In the first game we have the story with the Mad Angels, this is part of the story of the first game. In Shenmue III we have the Blue Spiders and the Red Snakes, this things are part of the story of Shenmue III as well, it is the things in between that need more development.

In Shenmue III for example would have been nice more scenes of Ryo with Shiling Lin, Qiu Hsu and Grandmaster Bei, this way when Ryo leave Niaowu it would have been really emotional to me, i love Shenmue III characters, i just think that some characters needed more development and scenes with Ryo, this way i would feel even more the friendship of Ryo with these characters.

The training with Master Sun is wonderful and memorable to me, i love everything about this training, Master Sun trying to teach Ryo to have more patience, it is a slow pace training and we can see that Ryo is really learning little by little, and when Ryo finally learn the Body Check and defeat Yanlang is a beautiful moment to me, and these things are part of the story of Shenmue III, and everytime Ryo learn Bajiquan moves is important and progress the story.

Master Sun didn't needed to be like Xiuying to be a good master in my opinion, every master of Ryo is different and that's okay. I love the character Grandmaster Bei, i just wished a long training of Ryo with Grandmaster Bei like it happened with Master Sun, Grandmaster Bei teaching more things for Ryo would have been nice, but it was nice that Ryo learned more about martial arts styles with animals during this part, that is beautiful.

Shenmue III is a kickstarter game and Yu Suzuki and the team had to make everything from scratch with limited budget, Yu Suzuki is not with SEGA anymore. In my opinion the Shenmue Style is not something easy to make, it has a lot of details like everytime Ryo find a new clue the conversations with NPCs change.

What Yu-san and the team achieved with limited budget is sweet and wonderful, a true Shenmue experience, of course some things could have been better in the game, but Shenmue III really is like a miracle given everything that happened before and during the development.

Probably Shenmue IV will be less harder to make because now Yu-san and the team have many things ready that can be reused if needed. In Shenmue II have more NPCs than the first game, in this playthrough of Shenmue II i noticed that some NPCs have the same voices, the design of these NPCs are different but with the exact same voices and phrases. This type of things can be reused in Shenmue IV if needed.

If i had to give a score for Shenmue III i would give 8.5 for the game, some things could have been better but Shenmue III is a sweet, calm, peaceful and good game to me, a true Shenmue experience.

I remember that in my first playthrough i played more than 70 hours, i spent so much time in Bailu Village, when in the game appeared that i could go to Niaowu i chose to stay in Bailu, i spent so much time there, Bailu Village is one of my favorite places in the Shenmue world, it is so calm and peaceful, like a second home for Ryo.

In Niaowu i was even afraid of the bad ending, because many times i chose to not progress the story, i decided to do other things.

I love every addition in Shenmue III. Searching for Chobu-chan and Bailu-chan, herb gathering, chopping wood, fishing, the option to change outfit, training and much more, so many things to do in the game and all feels connected like Sergeynest said.

I'm playing Shenmue II now, after that i will play Shenmue III again, i'm looking forward to begin my second playthrough of Shenmue III, and this time i will play even more slower than the first playthrough, like Sergeynest said Shenmue games are therapeutic, gives a feeling of relaxation, a calm and peaceful feeling, i prefer to play the Shenmue Games in a slow way.

I love Shenmue III. 💚
🌿🧄🪵🎣🥋

Last edited:
If Shenmue III was released for Master System.

FOuHXXMX0AMZsh7.png

I don't know how the person that did this found this chapter card in high quality.

One time i even searched in japanese and i never found the chapters cards in high quality.

Anyone has ever found the chapters cards in high quality?

I hope i can see all the chapters cards in high quality like this one day, i want to put in my room.

If Shenmue III was released for Master System.

View attachment 16117

I don't know how the person that did this found this chapter card in high quality.

One time i even searched in japanese and i never found the chapters cards in high quality.

Anyone has ever found the chapters cards in high quality?

I hope i can see all the chapters cards in high quality like this one day, i want to put in my room.

I'm pretty certain the artist responsible had redrawn this. The eyes are in a different style to the chapter card which is the giveaway (y)

I'm pretty certain the artist responsible had redrawn this. The eyes are in a different style to the chapter card which is the giveaway (y)

Kenji Miyawaki is the artist responsible for the Shenmue arts.

For me this is hard to tell when i compare the two images.

I say this because the concept arts we know are not in high quality, i even have to zoom in like this to see better but it makes it hard to see the details, really hard for me to see the details in the eyes this way so i really don't know, but maybe Kenji-san really redrawn this, i would like a confirmation about that.

If Kenji Miyawaki really redrawn all the chapters cards in high quality then maybe it should be more easier to find now i guess.

I never found the chapters cards in high quality.

I hope one day we can find all the chapters cards in high quality, i really want to put all the cards in the wall of my room. 😊

1654082019710.png1654082034616.png

I don't remember who did these beautiful Shenmue III arts.

Bailu art and Niaowu art.

I love Shenmue III characters, i just think that some of them needed more story, development and scenes with Ryo like Shiling Lin, Qiu Hsu, Master Feng, Grandmaster Bei, flashbacks of Iwao training with Sunming Zhao would have been nice and much more, but Shenmue III characters are awesome in my opinion. 💚

Sadly Yu Suzuki couldn't do the game exactly like he wanted/envisioned and Baisha is not in the game, i really feel if Baisha was in the game the game would be even better, in Baisha we would even see a different gameplay style, a strategy type of gameplay as far as i remember.

If we get the second season of the anime we will probably see an expanded version of Shenmue III, with more details and new scenes.

Everyday i think about Shenmue IV, i hope the Shenmue franchise continue in the games and in the anime.

1654229388171.png1654229452726.png

My son randomly asked for me to play S3 because he saw it on our PS4 dashboard...so after downloading patch 1.06 (couldn't believe I didn't have the latest patch) I booted it up and entered Bailu Chan Hunt mode, and now both my kids (4 and 6) are having the time of their lives finding the little guys all around Bailu :D

I'm playing Shenmue II now and i found something that made me think about Shenmue III. I'm playing Shenmue II for the second time from beginning to the end, my second playthrough so i'm trying to see details in the game that i never saw before, and things i dont't remember about my first playthrough.

Yesterday i finished the Five Stars corp part, there i found something that made me remember about Shenmue III.

What i found probably is a foreshadowing about 2 places in the Shenmue World, just like the tapestry in Shenhua's house is a foreshadowing of Luoyang in my opinion.

This is what i found.

1. Great Wall?

To me this place is the Great Wall.

In the ending of Shenmue III we can see Ryo, Shenhua and Ren walking on the Great Wall.

Great Wall.jpg

2. Xian?

The image of the real place is the Great Mosque in Xian.

Xian.pngGreat_Mosque_of_Xi'an_(15).jpg

Xian is the city in chapter 6 of the chapters arts as far as i know, this is the art. In the art we can see a Mosque similar to the Great Mosque in Xian, and similar to the one i found in Shenmue II.

1654219856666.png

After playing Shenmue III is clear to me that this is one of the chapters in the game, in the art we can see Yanlang, Niao Sun, a character that probably is Master Sun or Grandmaster Bei, we can see Ren and Shenhua, we can see Ryo (Akira)with a green martial arts outfit, looks like Ryo (Akira) is training, maybe getting ready to do the Horse Stance, in the game is even possible to gain the same outfit, and we can see a city that is similar to Niaowu.

So now i'm wondering... why Yu Suzuki decided to change the location? looks like Niaowu took the spot of Xian in the story, or maybe we will still see Xian but right now i doubt that.

Over the years the Shenmue story went through so many modifications that it feels like that the story has 3 versions now, the version that Yu-san wrote first that is The Legend Of Akira/Virtua Fighter RPG without cuts about the locations, the version that we all know in the Shenmue games, and the third version is the anime, in the case of the anime is an adaptation.

Since VF RPG days many things changed but other things remained the same.

I'm loving playing the entire Shenmue II game again after so many years without playing, i love these details in the Shenmue games, i loved to see that what i saw yesterday is probably a foreshadowing for Shenmue III at that time, and i'm looking forward to play Shenmue III again💚

Last edited:
There are some things in Shenmue 3 that are so mind blowingly bad that it just makes me want to cry. They are the subjects that will seemingly forever cause tension among Shenmue fans. I really can't grasp my head around the garlic.

My second playthrough of Shenmue 3 is not going so well. I don't think it's a game I'll ever enjoy. I'm only at the rainbow basin with the 2 thugs and I've already considered putting the game down and quitting. The logic of the thugs hanging around the village for this many days, and Ryo only coming across them after 5 days is just so bizarre. It's painful to try to wrap my head around so many of the decisions in this game.

I'm gonna keep going. I do prefer Niaowu but it seems so far away at this point.

I don't even remember how the token exchange system works. I think I've blocked it from my memory.

The logic of the thugs hanging around the village for this many days, and Ryo only coming across them after 5 days is just so bizarre
It's almost as dumbfounding as Ryo spending a week or more in Yokosuka harbour (and getting a job, no less) specifically to find the Mad Angels, when their hideout is accessible from the moment you get there, with a GIANT Mad Angels sign on the front door :ROFLMAO:🤫

And yet I still love S1. I think you can look past flaws like these if you're invested in the game. If you're just not feeling it then these types of things are going to grate on you.

I agree with orient. In my opinion Shenmue III have many design choices similar to Shenmue I and II.

In the first game we are forced to work in the forklift job, like orient said we can see the Mad Angels hideout since the first day in the harbor, i don't see a lot of Shenmue fans complaining about these type of things in the first game, many Shenmue Fans think the first game is a masterpiece.

In Shenmue II we have many paywalls, 500HK dollars that Ryo need to give Ren because of Yuanda Zhu, and the other paywalls is 500HK dollars to enter in the 3 main street fighting, to fight with Rod, Greg and Chunyan. In the case of these fights if we win the fight we get a lot of money, but if we lose the fights we lose a lot of money, it is important to save before this fights, to prepare about these things.

I had to do this to not lose money, as far as i remember in the Dreamcast version is harder to prepare for these fights, i say that because in the Dreamcast version you can't save anywhere like in the PS4 version, i don't see many Shenmue fans complaining about these things.

In Shenmue III we have 2 paywalls, i see some Shenmue fans hating these 2 paywalls, but i don't see people hating the paywalls in Shenmue II.

People can dislike Shenmue III as much as they want, I just don't agree with this type of criticism, because as I said at the beginning of my post, Shenmue III has a lot of design choices similar to Shenmue I and II, i love Shenmue I and II so i didn't mind to see similar design choices in Shenmue III, these design choices don't bother me in a extreme way,

One of the reasons i love Shenmue III is because Shenmue III is similar to the first game in many ways, i love the Shenmue style.

Last edited:
Back