Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I keep getting distracted by grinding stuff out instead of doing the main story, at the very least I think I'm gonna be pretty properly trained for a good chunk of the game at this rate even if im not far out from the start.

I'm really happy they added these rpg mechanics, they can hopefully be a bit more fleshed out if were blessed with 4 but it really goes a long way in giving you incentive to do alot of stuff.

Suzuki talked about informative flashbacks for newcomers if you trigger some items in the environnement (like Shenmue 1&2 but Suzuki acted like if it never happened). But I never trigger anything that way. Has the feature been cancelled?

I seem to have hit a serious bug. I saved next to the bed, then powered down my PS4, upon returning to the game, I return by the bed, select sleep, it goes into the laying down animation but the sleep/save/cancel options remain, ryo awakes and the options save/cancel remain, I can only save, if I select cancel the promos disappear but the buttons are completely unresponsive leaving me frozen. Absolutely gutted.

Here the same with me. I think we must be patient and waiting for a patch. In the Demo i had the same problem with sparring and the QTEs, when you must press A+B+B, i hit A and it gives me an error. The game itself runs very fine with the PS4-Pad on PC.

I'm loving the pacing of this. I thought I'd loathe the combat and furthered RPG elements, but it forces you to take training seriously in a way that doesn't feel artificial.

Also, regarding training, my favorite vice:
Sparring with Su Zixiong: I feel like I'm able to deliver blows to both Pixar and his Jack Black voice.

Here the same with me. I think we must be patient and waiting for a patch. In the Demo i had the same problem with sparring and the QTEs, when you must press A+B+B, i hit A and it gives me an error. The game itself runs very fine with the PS4-Pad on PC.

Hey @Sean9014 and others with this bug, the game seems to auto-save, so is it possible to load an auto save (I think you click continue in the main menu) and return to an earlier point? Or does the feature not work like that? (I haven't tried it)

It might be worth reaching out to Deep Silver and/or YsNet to let them know about the bug.

Hope you manage to sort it or it gets patched.

I like the idea of training and sparring and always felt this was an improvement the series needed to make regarding practicing and leveling up moves. Sparring in S1 was too rare and I didn't like the shadow boxing type training in the parking lot, etc. In S2 your sparring partners never fought back, but I liked the Kowloon street fights.

I'm on the fence about some of the RPG elements. It feels off to me to load up on food inventory and then chow down on 5 heads of garlic at a time through a menu. Early on, it also seems that your kung-fu, stamina, etc are really heavily tied to combat success, much more than your actual ability to fight as a player. I guess I'll see how I like this as I go on.

Something feels a bit odd to me about story progression and gameplay scenarios so far in Bailu village. It's hard to explain and I want to avoid spoilers, but it feels like some things are leisurely when they should be urgent, some things come out of nowhere with no anticipation or buildup, and some quests are drawn out way too long. I'll probably post in the spoilers forum at some point.

Hey @Sean9014 and others with this bug, the game seems to auto-save, so is it possible to load an auto save (I think you click continue in the main menu) and return to an earlier point? Or does the feature not work like that? (I haven't tried it)

It might be worth reaching out to Deep Silver and/or YsNet to let them know about the bug.

Hope you manage to sort it or it gets patched.

Okay, i think i have the solution. Without DS4 Windows i could sparr and could save without freezing and without problems. The game seems to auto-detect the controller. I had read about this when the Trial was released here in the Forum but i forgot it. Seems to work now. :-)

On PS4 I did a manual save from the in-game Settings menu before I got to search the Temple, after this it does an auto-save. I then loaded my manual save back in from the same in game Settings menu and I got to search the temple again.

So it doesn't look like it saves over a manual save but you can't manually load an auto-save from the in game menu because it doesn't show it in the load select screen. I always manually save the game and always select 'Continue' from the main menu after loading it up, which It looks like it is loading the last saved file whether it was a manual save or an auto-save.

One thing I think is vastly superior about Shenmue compared to Yakuza is that I don't have to fight people every three seconds. It's so nice being able to just walk across town and not be interrupted by some low level tough guys. I know some people want to just fight fight fight, but I think there are just as many people who don't.

Unless someone's going to blow my mind and tell me you can do this, I want to know why Ryo can't go to a cafe/restaurant/bar and actually order a proper meal that replenishes all your stamina/health.

Eating black garlic really isn't going to do jack shit. Our boy Ryo needs to go get himself a large pizza or a big bowl of curry or something.

Back