Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Unless someone's going to blow my mind and tell me you can do this, I want to know why Ryo can't go to a cafe/restaurant/bar and actually order a proper meal that replenishes all your stamina/health.

Eating black garlic really isn't going to do jack shit. Our boy Ryo needs to go get himself a large pizza or a big bowl of curry or something.

I 100% agree. You shouldn’t have to piecemeal health replenishment.

Unless someone's going to blow my mind and tell me you can do this, I want to know why Ryo can't go to a cafe/restaurant/bar and actually order a proper meal that replenishes all your stamina/health.

Eating black garlic really isn't going to do jack shit. Our boy Ryo needs to go get himself a large pizza or a big bowl of curry or something.

As I said in the other thread, Garlic is a MASSIVE energy booster; eating like 5 cloves a day (raw) will ensure that you never get sick and give you quite a boost of energy.

I don't recommend it, but it works!

4-5 hours in, and not sure if this has already been discussed, but I think that the entire stamina management system is the weakest point of the game. I've found myself refraining from exploring or participating in activities because money is tight and I don't want to 'waste' the onions I have in my inventory. Would love to see this aspect of the game turned into an optional setting in a future patch.

Not bagging on you Ceej, but you people MUST train your stamina up.

Seriously, 45 minutes (real-life, not in-game) of training at Horse Stance and One Inch Punch, you will NEVER worry about stamina again.

Can't stress that enough.

Not bagging on you Ceej, but you people MUST train your stamina up.

Seriously, 45 minutes (real-life, not in-game) of training at Horse Stance and One Inch Punch, you will NEVER worry about stamina again.

Can't stress that enough.

I'm Level 5 at both Horse Stance and One Inch Punch, so I have a pretty full health bar. I still find it annoying to manage.

I'm playing on hard and i dont have any problems with the stamina system
BUT i never run, never. I always walk. And i always have about 20-30 black garlic in my inventory.
At the beginning i did nothing else than horse stance and one inch punch + eating garlic.
As soon as the garlic was gone, i stopped training and went wood chopping. 150-250 dollars, bought new garlic.
Back to training. As soon as the health was maxed out, i did the same cycle again for all the moves
i already had and the ones i could buy or trade. And right now i dont have to train anything because everything is on master,
which means i only need like 5 black garlic a day and thats not expensive.
I like this kind of progress because now i know that i can focus on the story.

That's not true though, specially in Choubu that is pretty big and you have to run everywhere, or if you want to make the most out of your training by having full health. You'll end up using 2 fungus per day if you want to look around, add to it the daily fee and you have quite a bit of money by "just existing".
I like the economy system they have going on, but man having to eat even if you are just running around was not really engaging even in late game.
And it was just a nuissance because I saved scum many times, I bet if you are low on money and don't want to it gets frustrating.
EDIT: another thing to point out is that the herbs don't respawn in ng+, and it was the most consistent way of getting money (and actually almost 10% of my first playthrough).

I'm playing on hard and i dont have any problems with the stamina system
BUT i never run, never. I always walk. And i always have about 20-30 black garlic in my inventory.
At the beginning i did nothing else than horse stance and one inch punch + eating garlic.
As soon as the garlic was gone, i stopped training and went wood chopping. 150-250 dollars, bought new garlic.
Back to training. As soon as the health was maxed out, i did the same cycle again for all the moves
i already had and the ones i could buy or trade. And right now i dont have to train anything because everything is on master,
which means i only need like 5 black garlic a day and thats not expensive.
I like this kind of progress because now i know that i can focus on the story.

I also never run and Ryo takes his morning walk from Shenhuas every day, never skipping to a section. I dont even know what his run animation looks like, other than the couple times I hit the trigger button.

One thing I think is vastly superior about Shenmue compared to Yakuza is that I don't have to fight people every three seconds. It's so nice being able to just walk across town and not be interrupted by some low level tough guys. I know some people want to just fight fight fight, but I think there are just as many people who don't.
I mean each game has an item you can get early in that makes it so enemies cant attack you on the street

As I said in the other thread, Garlic is a MASSIVE energy booster; eating like 5 cloves a day (raw) will ensure that you never get sick and give you quite a boost of energy.

I don't recommend it, but it works!

Oh I eat a shit load of garlic (maybe not raw though), it's really good for you. But come on, he needs to eat some proper meals. Poor baby Ryo will waste away :p

Okay please tell me I'm not the only one who experienced

If you fail the QTE where you're about to knock out the big guy who's pissing, Ryo will look at his penis and he gets knocked out because of it

I love the humour in this game.

EDIT:

I recorded it for all to see

Last edited:
Oh I eat a shit load of garlic (maybe not raw though), it's really good for you. But come on, he needs to eat some proper meals. Poor baby Ryo will waste away :p
He needs some protein!

Also I was worried by some of the other comments I read before playing that the stamina requirements might be too aggressive, but I'm playing on hard and haven't had any issues so far. I buy like 100 60hp veggies @2 yuan a piece at a time, pretty much much never dip below 150 total veggies of that value. Idk, maybe it's because I'm obsessed with food irl and never strapped for cash in the game, but I like just taking a breaking to cram 15 eggplants into Ryo's mouth sometimes (no homo).

4-5 hours in, and not sure if this has already been discussed, but I think that the entire stamina management system is the weakest point of the game. I've found myself refraining from exploring or participating in activities because money is tight and I don't want to 'waste' the onions I have in my inventory. Would love to see this aspect of the game turned into an optional setting in a future patch.

After playing for around 8 hours I've landed on the idea that the best fix for this is to remove stamina from running or depleting as the day goes on. Just use stamina in exchange for doing a job, training, or sparring. Basically any activity that gives you money or XP. I think stamina is too ingrained into the gameplay loop to remove entirely.

I also like the idea of sitting down and eating something at a restaurant or cafe. It gives the opportunity to take in the atmosphere of the town, too.

In Shenmue games I typically like to add in an activity once or twice a day and I find myself needing to frontload all of the stamina activities instead of doing them once a day.

As Ron Popeil said in his first Showtime Rotisserie Commercial,

"The great thing about garlic is, you sleep very good (sic)... you sleep alone! But you sleep very good!(sic)"

Last edited:
Someone who backed 350$ on kick starter with a good channel/sub count signal boosting S3.

150k views as of now.

I'm always amazed at the allies Shenmue/YS manage to touch/inspired outside the gaming fold.(y):geek:

I believe the official Shenmue III Facebook account actually shared this video. They like it too!

So are we expecting any incoming patches to make significant changes to the game? Or do we think it will be like minor stability improvements?

Back