Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

It would be cool if we could get a real remastered version/PS5 version of 3 down the line, shortly before 4 realistically could be released, let's say 2022. With the already mentioned suggestions for improvement, at least from the visual/optimisation side and get it closer to whatever artstyle, skill book system etc. they are going for in part IV (import of your progress into game 4)

What year do you think part 4 could be released at the earliest if it happens? My bet is on 2022, but it will be delayed to 2023.

It would be cool if we could get a real remastered version/PS5 version of 3 down the line, shortly before 4 realistically could be released, let's say 2022. With the already mentioned suggestions for improvement, at least from the visual/optimisation side and get it closer to whatever artstyle, skill book system etc. they are going for in part IV (import of your progress into game 4)

What year do you think part 4 could be released at the earliest if it happens? My bet is on 2022, but it will be delayed to 2023.
They need a big team, and I'm sorry, they need modern animators helping. Why the heck should a 2011 Star Wars the Old Republic I'm playing again now for the quests look so much better on facial animations? Or even worse for you a 2009 Origins... They just made an easy system to implement facial animations during any moment you need them. So easy the fans could use them in 2009. It killed me that Shen 3 even did have some, but not for all characters, and not done that well. Many mods for Origins looked better in 2009.

None of what I just said there was pleasant to say. People complain about the lack of story, it has some. It's the fact they needed to have an easy system to make animations. I bet they used exactly the methods they've used in 1999. Then we get to Briana Knickerbocker. Shenhua's English voice over. God, she spoke a bit in an interview, she is a human after all. Why did no one explain to her that acting is not reading lines like a robot. All she needed to do was speak normally... Whenever Shenmue 4 comes out, I vote her out cute as she may be in real life. None of the complaints about Ryo in 1&2, or in 3 I understood. He spoke normally. He showed emotions if needed, as needed. She had a problem.

With a good RPG engine such as Origins had, they could make hours of the story in no time. Again, fans did it for free, many still do now. I did 2 mods for it myself. Nothing huge, but if I could do it, pros can without millions used. IF there's an engine there. Sorry for ranting, playing old Bioware RPGs brought it on. Quality is quality. 1&2 were clearly quality, parts of S3 were too, but not overall. They need an influx of new people who understand modern technologies.

I agree for the most part, what's so hard to bring in some people who know unreal and optimisation inside out, or even collaborate with an AA(A) team with experience to help out? They need better motion capture for movements and facial scans to even come close to today's standards. Even the very beautiful environments could use upgrades, let's make it on the level of the current gen Tomb Raider but more colorful and with the Shenmue smell for example.
If they could pair this with the solid foundation they have from three and further improve everything and get the story going it will be magical.
As much as I love 3, critics are not wrong that it could be a PS3 game.
For me, Briana and Corey are the way to go. It's down to the writing to make it come across a bit less stilted but still charming.

Im just hoping for the best for the series I care for, that's all (looking at you smiley) and still will be glad if Shenmue continues

Last edited:
I agree for the most part, what's so hard to bring in some people who know unreal and optimisation inside out, or even collaborate with an AA(A) team with experience to help out? They need better motion capture for movements and facial scans to even come close to today's standards. Even the very beautiful environments could use upgrades, let's make it on the level of the current gen Tomb Raider but more colorful and with the Shenmue smell for example.
If they could pair this with the solid foundation they have from three and further improve everything and get the story going it will be magical.
As much as I love 3, critics are not wrong that it could be a PS3 game.
For me, Briana and Corey are the way to go. It's down to the writing to make it come across a bit less stilted but still charming.

Im just hoping for the best for the series I care for, that's all (looking at you smiley) and still will be glad if Shenmue continues
For that sort of animations tech you would need a much more substantial budget than they had for Shenmue III, especially on the scope they were going for.

Maybe Shenmue 4 might be smaller in scope (area size) but wider in terms of story etc so they could spend some budget on the animations? Also keep in mind they can always improve what they've already got.

They need a big team, and I'm sorry, they need modern animators helping. Why the heck should a 2011 Star Wars the Old Republic I'm playing again now for the quests look so much better on facial animations? Or even worse for you a 2009 Origins... They just made an easy system to implement facial animations during any moment you need them. So easy the fans could use them in 2009. It killed me that Shen 3 even did have some, but not for all characters, and not done that well. Many mods for Origins looked better in 2009.

None of what I just said there was pleasant to say. People complain about the lack of story, it has some. It's the fact they needed to have an easy system to make animations. I bet they used exactly the methods they've used in 1999. Then we get to Briana Knickerbocker. Shenhua's English voice over. God, she spoke a bit in an interview, she is a human after all. Why did no one explain to her that acting is not reading lines like a robot. All she needed to do was speak normally... Whenever Shenmue 4 comes out, I vote her out cute as she may be in real life. None of the complaints about Ryo in 1&2, or in 3 I understood. He spoke normally. He showed emotions if needed, as needed. She had a problem.

With a good RPG engine such as Origins had, they could make hours of the story in no time. Again, fans did it for free, many still do now. I did 2 mods for it myself. Nothing huge, but if I could do it, pros can without millions used. IF there's an engine there. Sorry for ranting, playing old Bioware RPGs brought it on. Quality is quality. 1&2 were clearly quality, parts of S3 were too, but not overall. They need an influx of new people who understand modern technologies.

I agree. Brianna was really bad. I followed her for a bit on social media. Didn't seem like the best person either.

Had to take a long break away from the Shenmue world after beating S3 back in November. I don't know if others felt the same but after beating it I was filled with sadness not knowing the future of Shenmue. I have returned and started playing the Merry Cruise DLC and I must say I am enjoying the few side quests. Yu Suzuki still got it! I can only imagine a more refined Shenmue 4 with a foundation now in place. But sorry for rambling but I can now play Shenmue 3 while not feeling depressed about the series future. I know the game was chopped up in some areas and especially the last act but I have an even greater appreciation for what Yu Suzuki has accomplished against all odds.. It's a good Shenmue. Just hope we get Shenmue 4. Any update on Shenmue 4?

Had to take a long break away from the Shenmue world after beating S3 back in November. I don't know if others felt the same but after beating it I was filled with sadness not knowing the future of Shenmue. I have returned and started playing the Merry Cruise DLC and I must say I am enjoying the few side quests. Yu Suzuki still got it! I can only imagine a more refined Shenmue 4 with a foundation now in place. But sorry for rambling but I can now play Shenmue 3 while not feeling depressed about the series future. I know the game was chopped up in some areas and especially the last act but I have an even greater appreciation for what Yu Suzuki has accomplished against all odds.. It's a good Shenmue. Just hope we get Shenmue 4. Any update on Shenmue 4?
No updates other than a Yu Suzuki interview where he shared some ideas that he would like to implement in S4 if he makes the game.(Benches that allow you to skip time, better facial animations , throws and some other ideas.)

I couldn't stand any of the English VA and I wish it were stricken entirely from Shenmue since it's a big cost & brings lots of negativity to the series, but I also can tell there are major issues with direction, writing & general quality control and that it isn't due to the actors. There are some seasoned VAs in the game, and they were given random NPC roles.

I couldn't stand any of the English VA and I wish it were stricken entirely from Shenmue since it's a big cost & brings lots of negativity to the series, but I also can tell there are major issues with direction, writing & general quality control and that it isn't due to the actors. There are some seasoned VAs in the game, and they were given random NPC roles.

Totally agree.
Shenmue's English VA is pure shit in all aspects since the first iteration (excepted Lan Di... but he had barely 3 script lines in 2 games 😅). This dubbing is waste of money, waste of time, waste of energy... furthermore it also shadows the true saga's qualities, it alterates its credibility from a larger audience, and has a legitimate impact on mainstream consideration toward the serie -to say the least.
I get that nostalgia aspect pushes some Shen-fans to defend that goofy VA for years because "it is ridiculously funny". But I would love they change their mind for the sake of the saga.

All this may be true. But for me, Shenmue will always be the cheesy nostalgic english version. I started 3 multiple times in Japanese, but it failed to deliver this familiar emotion for me or Japanese is just very different in general and I'm just unable to pick it up due to the different structure...

All this may be true. But for me, Shenmue will always be the cheesy nostalgic english version. I started 3 multiple times in Japanese, but it failed to deliver this familiar emotion for me or Japanese is just very different in general and I'm just unable to pick it up due to the different structure...

Totally agree

I like the english voice acting for the wrong reasons, and the Japanese voice acting for the "purity" of the experience. Whatever changes they make to the english version, I really hope that Corey Marshall stays as the voice of Ryo until the end.

Simply put, if Corey isn't in the game I won't play it. Same reason why I didn't play MGS5 without David Hayter.

Back