Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

THIS.

A lot of people forget that 90% of Shenmue 2 is spent looking for Yuanda Zhu.... the game could be subtitled 'the search for Yuanda Zhu"

However, once we DO finally do rescue Zhu we strap ourselves in for a TON of story. In very short order, we learn who Lan Di is, why he killed Ryo's father, the purpose of the mirrors, we actually meet Ling Shenhua and get to know her as a person... and finally we learn what Shenmue actually refers to!

As someone else stated, the difference between the first two games and the third game is not the amount of overall story revealed but the quality of the storytelling. You could poke a few holes in the first two games' stories too but not quite like you can for the third.

THIS.

A lot of people forget that 90% of Shenmue 2 is spent looking for Yuanda Zhu.... the game could be subtitled 'the search for Yuanda Zhu"

However, once we DO finally do rescue Zhu we strap ourselves in for a TON of story. In very short order, we learn who Lan Di is, why he killed Ryo's father, the purpose of the mirrors, we actually meet Ling Shenhua and get to know her as a person... and finally we learn what Shenmue actually refers to
As someone else stated, the difference between the first two games and the third game is not the amount of overall story revealed but the quality of the storytelling. You could poke a few holes in the first two games' stories too but not quite like you can for the third.
Finding Yuanda Zhu is the motivator for the story in Shenmue 2. While I didn't love that they basically reused that plot idea for Shenmue 3, it's also not a big deal if it acts as the compass to steer Ryo along the story.

Thing is, in Shenmue 2 a lot of stuff happens up to the point of meeting Yuanda Zhu. We get an introduction into so many characters and their development. S2 was mostly chapter 2 of the story, so basically the beginning. It did well to establish the main characters, setting and build everything up. Shenmue 3 failed to do this even when they set up the retread about finding Yuan to act as the line to delve deeper into the Chi You Men and lore about the mirrors. The only thing we got was some development for Shenhua.

Also, dead right that at the end of a long chase we need some sort of payoff. We got that big time with Yuanda Zhu, not so much with Yuan.

Finding Yuanda Zhu is the motivator for the story in Shenmue 2. While I didn't love that they basically reused that plot idea for Shenmue 3, it's also not a big deal if it acts as the compass to steer Ryo along the story.

Thing is, in Shenmue 2 a lot of stuff happens up to the point of meeting Yuanda Zhu. We get an introduction into so many characters and their development. S2 was mostly chapter 2 of the story, so basically the beginning. It did well to establish the main characters, setting and build everything up. Shenmue 3 failed to do this even when they set up the retread about finding Yuan to act as the line to delve deeper into the Chi You Men and lore about the mirrors. The only thing we got was some development for Shenhua.

Also, dead right that at the end of a long chase we need some sort of payoff. We got that big time with Yuanda Zhu, not so much with Yuan.

I even thought the conversation with Zhu was less than it could have been, I feel like more should have been established as to how he really knew Iwao and Zhao, but perhaps those details are unimportant (they are martial artists studying together and that was about it). Still, there's definitely payoff because I believe this is where we learn for the first time that Lan Di is Zhao's son, and you get the light show with the Phoenix Mirror.

But yeah, you are dead on with everything else. Shenmue 3 had none of the buildup Shenmue 2 had. In Shenmue 2, there was the arc with the Wude, the arc with Xuiying - bad ass character by the way, I miss her dearly - the establishment of Ren as an ally, and impressing the scout by fighting those 3 huge Street Fights was epic even if it didn't really affect the overarching plot (Rod Stunt had more character development than Broom Girl - and the scenes with Chunyan are really powerful). Being taught the Counter Elbow Assault happened naturally as part of living under Xuiying, it was super symbolic when he ended up using that move against Dou Niu - in Shenmue 3, having to learn a specific move that would magically make Ryo strong enough to beat the boss was so unnatural - and it happened TWICE.

I did like both scenes with Niao Sun quite a bit honestly but there should have been so many more - one with her and Lan Di interacting, for example. Also, a novel idea: perhaps try introducing this woman to the player by mentioning her fucking name.

The game should have gone something like this:

Bailu: cut the fluff - make this a 5 hours tutorial area, not a 15 hour slog. The same basic premise - defeating the thugs who have taken over part of the village while they look for the mirror - could have existed. Rather than finding some pointless trinket in the bell tower, you still could have battled Chai and received a revelation from Elder Yeh before heading to the next area.

Niaowu: The Red Snakes terrorizing the town should have actually been intertwined in the story. There could have been plot lines associated with the Snakes trashing the temples (maybe they were looking for the mirror or some clue that should have justified Niaowu in the first place), that brought in characters like Hsu and Broom Girl, and the Zhashou lookalike) and actually developed them. At the end of the section, Ryo should have defeated the Red Snakes and learned about the Chi You Men's hideout at the castle. Niao Sun should have been a major player in this section and actually developed as a character, the cliche disguise plotline should have actually had a point.

Castle: While ideally the entire Baisha section should have remained intact to allow some major Chi You Men development, at the very least the castle should have been focused primarily on Niao Sun and Lan Di. The Red Snakes should have been out of the picture by this point. The betrayal by Niao Sun could have had some impact if her and Lan Di appeared in the story together, sooner. This "Warring Kingdoms" idea Suzuki promised should have been realized - those comments made me really excited for Shenmue 3's endgame. We got a shell of what the Yellowhead Building offered.

Yuan could have been rescued at any point - end of Bailu, end of Niaowu (this would have been the best spot, and allow for some exposition before the final section), or during the castle raid like it actually happened. They could have justified Ryo and Shenhua's continuing pursuit of the Chi You Men in a number of ways (obviously Ryo wants revenge but they could have given Shenhua a real reason to pursue her destiny and help stop the Chi You Men).

Last edited:
Has anyone hacked the environment from the final scene? I saw some explorations of the cave from the opening scene.

I'm curious if the cliff temple is actually in sight at the end of the game. It does appear like there is a man made structure (ruins really) on the mountains in the very final shot.

Has anyone hacked the environment from the final scene? I saw some explorations of the cave from the opening scene.

I'm curious if the cliff temple is actually in sight at the end of the game. It does appear like there is a man made structure (ruins really) on the mountains in the very final shot.

From an earlier comment I believe the ending cinematic is just encoded as a video file and there isn’t a real-time environment to explore.

for shenmue 4 i think they should take chances and try some experimental things in the game.

they could expand on the flashback scenes but make these bigger.. for example they could show different locations in different periods of time and some of these could be playable(?)

or have coma/hallucinations gameplay... sounds wacky but if ryo got really sick he could get advice from his father or relive memories(?)

Hi bros!
Still haven't played Shenmue3, but I've been seeing many gameplay videos.

I think Shenmue 4 will hopefully no longer be a kickstarter game, so a wise thing we can all do, is to not expect as much updates as we were getting for Shenmue 3.
If Shenmue 4 is going to happen, it will for sure have a more tradicional way of marketing and trailer showcase. And thats a good thing.
The best possible scenario would be for some big company to really take on the game and finnance it.
Clearly one of the major flaws of Shenmue3 is the movements and animations. As well as Ryo's body.
Everyone can see the budget limatations playing out in the game's presentation.
I'm not saying it looks "bad", but it sure could look way better and cooler. Starting with Ryo.

I'm glad Yu Suzuki decided to invest in gameplay more instead of the graphics tho.

But it would super cool for Ryo to be properly modeled and animated in a more detailed and realistic way. He's the hero afterall.

Lets see what the future brings. Even tho the game looks very good to me and it's more than sufficient I would appreciate a more photorealistic uproach to the presentation at this point.

Anyway, only time will tell what's gonna happen!

The first thing than needs to happen is an announcment that the game is in development.

Hi bros!
Still haven't played Shenmue3, but I've been seeing many gameplay videos.

I think Shenmue 4 will hopefully no longer be a kickstarter game, so a wise thing we can all do, is to not expect as much updates as we were getting for Shenmue 3.
If Shenmue 4 is going to happen, it will for sure have a more tradicional way of marketing and trailer showcase. And thats a good thing.
The best possible scenario would be for some big company to really take on the game and finnance it.
Clearly one of the major flaws of Shenmue3 is the movements and animations. As well as Ryo's body.
Everyone can see the budget limatations playing out in the game's presentation.
I'm not saying it looks "bad", but it sure could look way better and cooler. Starting with Ryo.

I'm glad Yu Suzuki decided to invest in gameplay more instead of the graphics tho.

But it would super cool for Ryo to be properly modeled and animated in a more detailed and realistic way. He's the hero afterall.

Lets see what the future brings. Even tho the game looks very good to me and it's more than sufficient I would appreciate a more photorealistic uproach to the presentation at this point.

Anyway, only time will tell what's gonna happen!

The first thing than needs to happen is an announcment that the game is in development.
Get playing dude lol. Good to see you post at long last.

Joel, Ryo's fine; that is one of the first times I've seen someone complain about his movements and animations; not only do they look perfectly fine, but they're probably the best of any one character in the game.

As Spud said, you need to start playing; you can't glean anything just from gameplay vids.

Hope you had a great Christmas :)

Last edited:
Would anybody be on board with Suzuki finding a real japaneese dude with as much similarities with Ryo as possible to use him as a model to a more "real" Ryo?
I would hate it. More realistic is OK, but Ryo must be modeled, just like Kiryu or Snake and not that generic CW look of Capcom new characters

If I had 1 billion dollars, I'd give YsNet 500 million dollars so that they can make the best game ever made with Shenmue IV, cementing Shenmue as a legendary franchise nobody would dare mock. We could go and laugh in the face of Jim Sterling and the PC-Master Race Punctuation Guy. Laugh hard. HA. HA. HA. FUCKER!!

Yu Suzuki would become the biggest legendary developer yet. Beating everyone and everything with Shenmue IV.

@elonmusk pls help

Imagine a Shenmue IV with all of the features and mini games of I - III...Hang - On, Space Harrier, After Burner, Out Run, Highway Star, Wacky Mole, QTE Title, Excite QTE, Chobu Chan Fighter, a return of the Virtua Fighter engine but enhanced, SEGA capsule toys from the previous games but new franchises added in, plus all of the capsule toys and items from I - III, all of the move scrolls from I - III and then some, throws are back, Lucky Hit, Roll It On Top, Flower, Bird, Wind, & Moon, street fighting, sparring and practicing moves alone, forklifting, carrying crates, working Lucky Hit, pawn shops having different buyback rates, Darts 7 and Neo Darts....and then some.

Now I'm just dreaming.

Back