Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

ive seen several documentaries and new articles and to me, it seems like in japanese business culture, once something fails, they don't give it a second chance.

the big wigs at sega even turned down a jet set radio sequel and i think that would of been a hit.
Personally, I don't think anything with even a hint of japanese culture gives up on something after one try.

We just need to remember that SEGA doesn't have the same culture anymore. I'd be amazed if more than a handful of people remain from the dreamcast days. The reason they ended up in their SEGA sized hole back in the day was because they took so many crazy risks. Then they went polar-opposite (and understandably) and were way more conservative and risk-averse before yakuza success, Atlus acquisition and sonic movie money. A space channel adaption might be a sign that they are coming out of their hole again, but I'd be surprised if they continue to go back to the well as they seem happier to let other companies take the risk, with or without the license (i.e. Shenmue 3, panzer dragoon, house of the dead remake, taxi chaos, bomb rush cyberpunk.)

Also, let's be honest, without upfront money from Kickstarter, Shenmue 4 could easily be a huge financial disaster for any publisher footing the entire bill (which Suzuki wants to be 20+ million?). Deep silver didn't foot 100% and was clearly disappointed with it.

The odds are not great on Shenmue 4 having a Yakuza 0 breakthrough, as Yakuza had a following in Japan and broke through to the west, Shenmue on the other hand has a cult following in the west and is ignored in Japan despite coming from there, so where is this new audience going to come from?

Most importantly, for this whole saga, at what point does Suzuki just say "f*ck it, forget new fans, let's just get it done for the existing fans"?

Shenmue's biggest problem is that Ryo is constantly on the move, which needs new maps and new characters - a tight budget's worst enemy. Would it really kill Shenmue 4 if they kept the story in Bailu, Niaowu and just added one extra area?

I wouldn't care if the whole of S4 took place in a back alley if it gave them enough money to tell a compelling story and I'd bet most Shenmue fans would take a more linear storytelling over expanded herb gathering to get it over the line.

Personally, I don't think anything with even a hint of japanese culture gives up on something after one try.

We just need to remember that SEGA doesn't have the same culture anymore. I'd be amazed if more than a handful of people remain from the dreamcast days. The reason they ended up in their SEGA sized hole back in the day was because they took so many crazy risks. Then they went polar-opposite (and understandably) and were way more conservative and risk-averse before yakuza success, Atlus acquisition and sonic movie money. A space channel adaption might be a sign that they are coming out of their hole again, but I'd be surprised if they continue to go back to the well as they seem happier to let other companies take the risk, with or without the license (i.e. Shenmue 3, panzer dragoon, house of the dead remake, taxi chaos, bomb rush cyberpunk.)

Also, let's be honest, without upfront money from Kickstarter, Shenmue 4 could easily be a huge financial disaster for any publisher footing the entire bill (which Suzuki wants to be 20+ million?). Deep silver didn't foot 100% and was clearly disappointed with it.

The odds are not great on Shenmue 4 having a Yakuza 0 breakthrough, as Yakuza had a following in Japan and broke through to the west, Shenmue on the other hand has a cult following in the west and is ignored in Japan despite coming from there, so where is this new audience going to come from?

Most importantly, for this whole saga, at what point does Suzuki just say "f*ck it, forget new fans, let's just get it done for the existing fans"?

Shenmue's biggest problem is that Ryo is constantly on the move, which needs new maps and new characters - a tight budget's worst enemy. Would it really kill Shenmue 4 if they kept the story in Bailu, Niaowu and just added one extra area?

I wouldn't care if the whole of S4 took place in a back alley if it gave them enough money to tell a compelling story and I'd bet most Shenmue fans would take a more linear storytelling over expanded herb gathering to get it over the line.

I agree I don't see new fans hopping on the Shenmue train, we're gonna have to get there with who we got. A affordable manageable budget.

The embracer group (who own deep silver/plaion) just purchased limited run games. Hopefully they paid Josh a ton of money so he can produce Shenmue sequels with it 😄
There could actually be something to this :p

They had to've paid a decent sum for Limited Run, which is a small company with very few people at the top (is my understanding). Josh has expressed his desire to support Shenmue in any way possible, including financially. So maybe?? He'd also have the Embracer connections, too.

After watching Cobra Kai, I feel that Ryo should temporarily leave China, go to 1987 California, and hopefully train with Mr. Miyagi in order to defeat Lan Di... or he could go to Okinawa and train with Chozen and Sato and learn the offensive side of Miyagi-do.

After watching Cobra Kai, I feel that Ryo should temporarily leave China, go to 1987 California, and hopefully train with Mr. Miyagi in order to defeat Lan Di... or he could go to Okinawa and train with Chozen and Sato and learn the offensive side of Miyagi-do.
I feel like he'd meet Tony Soprano in the states and punch every tree on his way while traveling over there.

Cobra Kai, Chozen
Chozen: Boom, im gasoline.
Ryo: Er.. What is this feel, sensei? I suddenly got cold sweat.
Chozen: I gave you the cringe, in extreme pure form.
Ryo: Cringe... Wow, and just with the magic words you spelled!?
Chozen: Look my t-shirt, sonny. See the floral pattern? It has the cringe spell sewed into its fibers.

I never played the lottery but the jackpot got up to $1B. The clerk convinced me to give it a try and one of the first things I thought about was funding Shenmue 4&5 and possibly 0 & Shenmue x Yakuza.🤣😂

I'm in the same boat.

Even if I won 60 mil CAD, I would contact YS Net and see if I could contribute an investment of around 5 mil CAD (3.75 mil USD, 539 mil Yen) to help get the ball rolling.

I'm in the same boat.

Even if I won 60 mil CAD, I would contact YS Net and see if I could contribute an investment of around 5 mil CAD (3.75 mil USD, 539 mil Yen) to help get the ball rolling.

Yeah if I had won that $1B my plan was to give Yu $15M every game till done.

Yeah if I had won that $1B my plan was to give Yu $15M every game till done.
i've often thought about that. but i guess instead of throwing money into a black hole, you would be an investor(?) so you could potentially get your money back + some profit?

if i invested into shenmue that much, i would definitely want to know the ending to the story.

one thing i might not be able to help, is pushing my crappy fan ideas on YS and the poor guy would have to put them in the game lol.

i've often thought about that. but i guess instead of throwing money into a black hole, you would be an investor(?) so you could potentially get your money back + some profit?

if i invested into shenmue that much, i would definitely want to know the ending to the story.

one thing i might not be able to help, is pushing my crappy fan ideas on YS and the poor guy would have to put them in the game lol.

Absolutely you'd have to be a investor but I wouldn't necessarily worry about getting back everything. I personally would like to find out the ending like everyone else. The only thing I'd be guilty of doing is leveraging my money to get Yu and Nagoshi to collaborate and produce Shenmue x Yakuza.

Shenmue and Yakuza are different games but I personally feel like the term "spiritual successor" rings true. I don't think there would be a Yakuza series without Shenmue. For me the reason I want to see the crossover is to see the Shenmue cast in a over the top arcade setting.

Shenmue and Yakuza are different games but I personally feel like the term "spiritual successor" rings true. I don't think there would be a Yakuza series without Shenmue. For me the reason I want to see the crossover is to see the Shenmue cast in a over the top arcade setting.
Me too. And, why not, with the chalk and cheese. A non canon, fresh and fun cross over. Puns between series and characters..
MGS and Ape Escape crossover, something like that.

Me too. And, why not, with the chalk and cheese. A non canon, fresh and fun cross over. Puns between series and characters..
MGS and Ape Escape crossover, something like that.

Could you imagine some of the heat moves the Shenmue cast would have? Like Tom running over someone with the hotdog truck or Joy dragging someone thru the streets on her motorcycle.

Back