Random Shenmue Thoughts

I'm playing the first game and i'm trying to make 100% of the things in the game for the first time, i noticed something while playing Shenmue HD PS4 version, i noticed that the casette tapes changed, i don't know if all cassette tapes are different now but i noticed that some of the cassette tapes are different from the Dreamcast version, the difference that i noticed is about the characters.

Dreamcast version

1634983504518.png

Shenmue HD version

1634983530500.png

Dreamcast Version

1634983618423.png

HD version

1634983662416.png

We can clearly see the difference in the characters between the two versions, i only noticed this difference in this playthrough.

If the Shenmue story keeps Ryo in China for 2 more in-game years he'll be in the country for the Tiananmen Square Massacre.

Hey! Long-long time Shenmue fan, used to have an account on here but have no idea what my information was. Just got back into the Shenmue spirit when I noticed there was DLC for Shenmue 3 I had no idea about today, so I bought it (waiting for S3 to update) and, in browsing around for some Shenmue goodness, ended up back here. Glad to be back.

Hey! Long-long time Shenmue fan, used to have an account on here but have no idea what my information was. Just got back into the Shenmue spirit when I noticed there was DLC for Shenmue 3 I had no idea about today, so I bought it (waiting for S3 to update) and, in browsing around for some Shenmue goodness, ended up back here. Glad to be back.
Welcome back

Probably already been done, but has anyone literally stalked an NPC for a day or whatever? I got the Steam version of Shenmue 1 and 2 yesterday for the hell of it so I could use mods, was watching a video on here where someone was talking to a dock worker out on the road, where you aren't able to normally walk and the dollie the NPC was pushing completely went wonky. Thinking about using the noclip mod and documenting NPC behavior, has anyone done this already?

Probably already been done, but has anyone literally stalked an NPC for a day or whatever? I got the Steam version of Shenmue 1 and 2 yesterday for the hell of it so I could use mods, was watching a video on here where someone was talking to a dock worker out on the road, where you aren't able to normally walk and the dollie the NPC was pushing completely went wonky. Thinking about using the noclip mod and documenting NPC behavior, has anyone done this already?

I'm playing the first game again and a few days ago i had the same idea for my Shenmue channel, i have plans to create videos following each NPC for a day to see their full routines, this interesting, i have the same desire to document NPC behavior in the games.

what is the noclip mod? i don't know this mod.

I've thought of this as well, but do we know if any NPCs come into the map from a different entry point after they exit? I know the Prima guide says some just disappear at points, but without using no clip mods, it's impossible to know where they will spawn, I guess.

I'm playing the first game again and a few days ago i had the same idea for my Shenmue channel, i have plans to create videos following each NPC for a day to see their full routines, this interesting, i have the same desire to document NPC behavior in the games.

what is the noclip mod? i don't know this mod.
This is the mod I've been looking into. Haven't pulled the trigger and tried it out yet, though.

but do we know if any NPCs come into the map from a different entry point after they exit?
After i read your post i tried something in the first game.

I saw Liu-san in Sakuragaoka going to Yamanose, i decided to enter in Yamanose some moments before him, i entered in Yamanose and then after 10 seconds or something like this he appeared.

I tried with Nomura-san as well, i saw Nomura-san in Sakuragaoka going to Dobuita, i waited a little but i entered in Dobuita some moments before him, after 10 seconds or maybe more he appeared, i guess the secret is to enter some moments before the NPCs, this way we will see the NPCs appearing, i don't know if we can do this with all the NPCs but with Liu-san and Nomura-san was okay.

Jiang Zemin is Tentei confirmed.
When shit gets real during the final battle, he'll start talking Chinese in the English dub and English in the Japanese dub, just like that famous interview he gave 😄

Wouldn't it be smart of Sega to release a easy cash grab Shenmue game? Shenmue beat em up based on Shenmue 1&2? They could even use the same assets from Streets of Rage 4. Im sure Sega would recoup easy profits.

Wouldn't it be smart of Sega to release a easy cash grab Shenmue game? Shenmue beat em up based on Shenmue 1&2? They could even use the same assets from Streets of Rage 4. Im sure Sega would recoup easy profits.
Shenmue GO, which is like Pokémon GO, except you fight dickheads in QTE or turn-based battles in exchange for capsule toys. The rarer the capsule toy, the harder the fight.

An even easier cash grab idea: in about 6 months rerelease Shenmue 1&2 HD under the title Shenmue the Animation: The Game with new cover art featuring character designs from the anime. Slap an "As Seen on Cartoon Network" sticker on the box and moms Christmas shopping will have no choice but to buy it.

Back