Random Shenmue Thoughts

Shenhua's dad in the Japanese version of Shenmue 2 sounds exactly the same as the third hokage in Naruto...I wonder if it's the same voice actor?

Edit: It is. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0284482/characters/nm0793073

It's one of those things that was always on the back of my mind but something I never bothered to look up.
In the dub for Shenmue III the guy who voice acts Jiraiya voices an npc in the game (best npc in it hands down by the way.)

It's so strange how the Izumi and Eileen fights were not included as replayable once you finish Shenmue 2. Probably because they're optional battles but how cool would it have been to machinegunfist Izumi?

it was quite a strange feeling to have to rescue Nozomi on the last night of the year, which wasn't even planned.

Still bitter about the ellipse after the goodbye with Tom, I was thinking it was before meeting Guizang but it was earlier, so I missed a last call with Nozomi and a face to face dialogue about motorbike that I had never heard before.

Now I will start Hongkong the 22 january and I don't think I will be able to wait around one month the anniversary of fangmei without it feeling forced, unfortunately.

Now I will start Hongkong the 22 january and I don't think I will be able to wait around one month the anniversary of fangmei without it feeling forced, unfortunately.
If you’re playing on Steam, it’s possible to change the date and time quite easily with cheat engine. Obviously this would still be forced, but at least it would also be fast.

Constantly fail the Zhangyu QTE and you can skip time. It would be forced, but still.
It is the three blade barber if I remember correctly ? if so I will probably fail one or two of it but I don't plan to skip time.
If you’re playing on Steam, it’s possible to change the date and time quite easily with cheat engine. Obviously this would still be forced, but at least it would also be fast.
Yes I'm playing on steam but I wasn't really at ease the last time I tried this software, although it would be forced in a cheating way it wouldn't be in term of passed days, which is my main issue.

The solution I looked at say that the fangmei anniversary can only be done while doing the book event but this solution was already a little wrong on some part of shenmue 1, so I wonder if I can level up with fangmei during the book event then still meet eileen who tell about it and fangmei around the three blade while searching for ren ?

Anyway if I don't do the fangmei event that mean I could do the chaiwan sign at the harbor, because the solution I looked tell that if I do this chaiwan sign, fangmei never go to the three blade.

I wish Kickstarter didn't have such a negative view regarding Shenmue. I personally wouldn't mind supporting a Shenmue 4&5 campaign.
I just don’t think it’s feasible if we want the quality of a prospective Shenmue 4 to live up to its predecessors. Developing games is a very expensive proposition and even though Shenmue 3 broke all sorts of records, if it didn’t get the support of Deep Silver and Epic, who knows what kind of product we would have gotten solely on the back of KS funds.

The hope is if anime does well, some publisher rolls dice with Shenmue 4 knowing a lot of the heavy lifting in terms of technology and some systems are in place. Even then it’s a risky proposition which is why we haven’t got confirmation of Shenmue 4 as of yet.

I just don’t think it’s feasible if we want the quality of a prospective Shenmue 4 to live up to its predecessors. Developing games is a very expensive proposition and even though Shenmue 3 broke all sorts of records, if it didn’t get the support of Deep Silver and Epic, who knows what kind of product we would have gotten solely on the back of KS funds.

The hope is if anime does well, some publisher rolls dice with Shenmue 4 knowing a lot of the heavy lifting in terms of technology and some systems are in place. Even then it’s a risky proposition which is why we haven’t got confirmation of Shenmue 4 as of yet.

I completely understand why just as a devout Shenmue fan I would do anything to get Shenmue 4&5.

I genuinely need answers for the following questions that have been burning in my ignorant naive mind:

1. Why can't Shenmue 4 be made with the same engine that was used for Shenmue 1/2 HD??
  2. If Suzuki doesn't own the rights to that engine why did SEGA release the HD collection if they don't care about the IP?
  3. Who owns the rights to the "Virtua Fighter" engine? SEGA?
  4. Why couldn't this engine be implemented in Shenmue 3? Does SEGA own the rights to "Forward, Forward (Push Button)" is that literally copyrighted?
  5. Why were the QTE events in Shenmue 3 so disappointing? I didn't feel the urgency like in the DC games.
  6. Why didn't the kickstarter fans tell Suzuki that the fighting engine for S3 was not good? Did ANYONE in his camp tell him, "Sorry man this isn't it bro!"
Thanks to anyone who will answer.

I genuinely need answers for the following questions that have been burning in my ignorant naive mind:

1. Why can't Shenmue 4 be made with the same engine that was used for Shenmue 1/2 HD??
  2. If Suzuki doesn't own the rights to that engine why did SEGA release the HD collection if they don't care about the IP?
  3. Who owns the rights to the "Virtua Fighter" engine? SEGA?
  4. Why couldn't this engine be implemented in Shenmue 3? Does SEGA own the rights to "Forward, Forward (Push Button)" is that literally copyrighted?
  5. Why were the QTE events in Shenmue 3 so disappointing? I didn't feel the urgency like in the DC games.
  6. Why didn't the kickstarter fans tell Suzuki that the fighting engine for S3 was not good? Did ANYONE in his camp tell him, "Sorry man this isn't it bro!"
Thanks to anyone who will answer.
Hello I'll answer as best I can

1. It was felt that using the original engine lacked the support and documentation to be a viable option. They also would have to convert it to work on modern platforms and this was felt cost prohibitive along with the license for it.
2. SEGA saw an opportunity to bring Shenmue to modern platforms given the buzz around 3. It made business sense.
3. SEGA own all rights to the VF engine.
4. The engine itself is owned by SEGA and they didn't licence its use, probably down to cost. They could have rebuilt their own version I guess but not sure how that would work in terms of legalities. I know YS wanted to make the fighting more accessible as the VF engine can be punishing.
5. That's down to a personal view. Each to their own.
6. We didn't know until we played the game in demo and by that time it was well in development. Feedback has gone back to YSNET re the fighting and they've taken that on. I've interviewed Cedric and Ryan who confirmed this and YS did in 2020 where he wants to bring throws back and tighten the engine.

2 side points.
1. I'd be all for them building on what they have. They understand the systems and its less cost prohibitive.
2. The VF engine is very very unlikely to be coming back in my view.

Hello I'll answer as best I can

1. It was felt that using the original engine lacked the support and documentation to be a viable option. They also would have to convert it to work on modern platforms and this was felt cost prohibitive along with the license for it.
2. SEGA saw an opportunity to bring Shenmue to modern platforms given the buzz around 3. It made business sense.
3. SEGA own all rights to the VF engine.
4. The engine itself is owned by SEGA and they didn't licence its use, probably down to cost. They could have rebuilt their own version I guess but not sure how that would work in terms of legalities. I know YS wanted to make the fighting more accessible as the VF engine can be punishing.
5. That's down to a personal view. Each to their own.
6. We didn't know until we played the game in demo and by that time it was well in development. Feedback has gone back to YSNET re the fighting and they've taken that on. I've interviewed Cedric and Ryan who confirmed this and YS did in 2020 where he wants to bring throws back and tighten the engine.

2 side points.
1. I'd be all for them building on what they have. They understand the systems and its less cost prohibitive.
2. The VF engine is very very unlikely to be coming back in my view.
Thank you so much for answering Spud! Would be cool to see throws and a tighter fighting engine in Shenmue 4. It's a shame SEGA can't give him the VF engine. I totally suck at VF games but I'm awesome at Shenmue 1/2 fighting, it was so much easier for me.

Thank you so much for answering Spud! Would be cool to see throws and a tighter fighting engine in Shenmue 4. It's a shame SEGA can't give him the VF engine. I totally suck at VF games but I'm awesome at Shenmue 1/2 fighting, it was so much easier for me.
I remember a post Shenmue 3 interview where Yu said he'll add throws in the next game. I feel the same about the VF engine, it's the reason I can replay Shenmue 2 over and over. It took me years to get lucky enough to get monkey roll drop!

This question goes out to everyone: in the Shenmue 2 crate job, what is your record? I think I can do about 7 but I don't think I've ever got to 8. Does anything interesting happen if you get any further than 7?

Back