Random Shenmue Thoughts

Very true. That Tornado Kick did come in handy!

I do remember that section. The first time you spoke to him he told you about the black car and gave you a clue, though the next time you approach him he contradicts it totally. Nutter.

I always remembered Shenmue 2 being more difficult, especially in the fights. So I wasn't as eager to play it this time round but in reality I didn't struggle with it at all. For some reason when I played it on the DC all those years ago I don't think I dodged much. I just got my hands dirty. That didn't help. This time round I naturally dodged to get behind the opponent. Worked every time and don't think I ever lost a fight. The planks were still a pain in the arse though.

Very true. That Tornado Kick did come in handy!

I do remember that section. The first time you spoke to him he told you about the black car and gave you a clue, though the next time you approach him he contradicts it totally. Nutter.

I always remembered Shenmue 2 being more difficult, especially in the fights. So I wasn't as eager to play it this time round but in reality I didn't struggle with it at all. For some reason when I played it on the DC all those years ago I don't think I dodged much. I just got my hands dirty. That didn't help. This time round I naturally dodged to get behind the opponent. Worked every time and don't think I ever lost a fight. The planks were still a pain in the arse though.
I also remember the fights being a lot more tricky in two although that may be because I would usually do my play through of two using my Xbox version as it was more convenient than hooking up the DC. Because of this, I wasn’t continuing with my original save file and thus my elbow assault was weak and flimsy. If you max it out in the first game, even the toughest fights in Shenmue two can be beaten by spamming the move. I think Dou Niou (SP) went down in around 8 hits when I beat him earlier. It’s less rewarding to do it this way, but this play-though was more about re-experiencing the story than enjoying the gameplay (which is somewhat dated nowadays) for me.

About 10 years ago I worked with a guy (who is now a very good friend) on a night shift in a small warehouse/stockroom. He's a gamer himself and I would always say to him how Shenmue 1 and 2 were such great games and I hope one day there will be a third. I said if 1 and 2 were ever re released I'd buy it for him to experience it.
Just recently it was his 30th Birthday, so I thought I'd make good on my promise from all those years ago (plus another shenmue sale, because...you know...).

Anyway, he started playing it last night and this is what he had to say about it:

"Started it yesterday. Love the simplicity of it and love the nostalgic feeling. Of course everything about it is a bit hammy but it made me feel like a kid.
Only a few hours in atm looking for the only black car that exists in the village Haha. Named a cat and helped an old lady find a certain house.
Played some games in the arcades and passed some time before I pop to a few bars to find some sailors who know about the 3 blades! Haha. Love it so far."

That just makes me happy and I wanted to share it with you guys.
Wow thats a amazing story.So Happy that he likes it..really nice from u to make him this Gift with the shenmue game and like Making a new Shenmue Fan ?❤

For anybody interested, the latest video by Youtuber ‘The Angry Video Game Nerd’ features a skit at the end where he needs to protect “the good games” from an evil copy of Superman 64. Up on the shelf with copies of Super Metroid, A link to the past, Super Mario 3 and Sonic 2 is a copy of the original Shenmue on Dreamcast. I don’t think it’s on screen long enough to really register with people who don’t know the series box art, but I find it pretty cool that someone who made his name by reviewing shitty games considers Shenmue to be up there with the best.

Literally just saw that moments ago and wanted to mention it myself. That is the third time that Shenmue got some kind of cameo in AVGN episodes. This one is on a whole new level though and it just blew my mind.

sfHA742.jpg

I seriously wonder now when he will mention or show Shenmue for real.

Finished Shenmue 2 for the 10+th time earlier today and it dawned on me that the next time I play Shenmue, it will probably be the third game that I’m sticking into my PS4. That’s quite an amazing feeling after all this time.

I beat OutRun, first arcade game I've ever beaten in Shenmue. These games are hard as nails. I know why, because you were meant to keep putting in coins to try again and again but damn! My path was right, left, right, left. Got ending C with the magic lamp, 13000560 points. Weird it says I cleared it out with a single token though, I ended up using like a handful of them, isn't 1 credit 1 token, or 5 Hong Kong dollars each? Whatever though. The Engrish on the certificate is funny, almost "A Winner Is You" tier lol.

I beat OutRun, first arcade game I've ever beaten in Shenmue. These games are hard as nails. I know why, because you were meant to keep putting in coins to try again and again but damn! My path was right, left, right, left. Got ending C with the magic lamp, 13000560 points. Weird it says I cleared it out with a single token though, I ended up using like a handful of them, isn't 1 credit 1 token, or 5 Hong Kong dollars each? Whatever though. The Engrish on the certificate is funny, almost "A Winner Is You" tier lol.

You can't use continues in Shenmue, so if you clear a game then you've cleared it on a single credit. It doesn't mean you need to beat it on your first attempt.

You can't use continues in Shenmue, so if you clear a game then you've cleared it on a single credit. It doesn't mean you need to beat it on your first attempt.
Ok, got it. I remember when I attempted to beat Hang-On and kept using one credit only, because I'm dumb lol. Too bad I have yet to beat it. I tried really hard, too. It's so cheap how you pretty much have no chance to beat the night level unless you crash into that one letter and even then I've barely gotten past this level just to run out of time in the last one. This is the Dark Souls of Shenmue.

What the hell? I just beat the high score on Hang-On in Shenmue II and the guy didn't give me the toy. It seemed a bit harder than in Shenmue I for some reason unless I'm going crazy. Anyway, I'm gonna assume this is normal and it happens in the OG Xbox version too? Don't tell me it's bugged, the devs will probably never fix it now because they apparently haven't touched the game in months, so it looks like they're done rolling out patches. I watched a video of a guy beating it on DC, he got the toy and the certificate. But regardless of it being intentional or a bug, it's disappointing.

What the hell? I just beat the high score on Hang-On in Shenmue II and the guy didn't give me the toy. It seemed a bit harder than in Shenmue I for some reason unless I'm going crazy. Anyway, I'm gonna assume this is normal and it happens in the OG Xbox version too? Don't tell me it's bugged, the devs will probably never fix it now because they apparently haven't touched the game in months, so it looks like they're done rolling out patches. I watched a video of a guy beating it on DC, he got the toy and the certificate. But regardless of it being intentional or a bug, it's disappointing.

The requirement for getting the toy is earning 10 million points.

I just started entertaining the dream that everyone involved with shenmue
would, together, one day, sell a shenmue filled data-hard-drive of content.

It would have the sh1+2 remaster and up to the lattest shenmue game on it,
as well as the commercials, trailers, complete soundtrack and design documents.

An extensive shenmue library and encyclopedia, if you want.

This is a crazy idea, but, I could see it working when the saga is completed.

Regardless of Epic debacle, I feel like Shenmue 4/5/6 are very feasible. Shibuya/Cedric have much deeper pockets than I think most realize. With the major groundwork of a new engine laid down from Shenmue 3, sequels shouldn't be nearly as expensive or prolonged. If Sega joins back in, great, finish the game in one or two long sequels. If only YSnet and Shibuya, make it into 6 games, slightly shorter and narrower to fit smaller budget. Cedric himself said even without profitable sales, sequel is 50/50 if he wants to still invest.

Personally, I'm very confident international PS4 and Chinese PC sales will easily cover the projected need of ~500k.

For anybody interested, the latest video by Youtuber ‘The Angry Video Game Nerd’ features a skit at the end where he needs to protect “the good games” from an evil copy of Superman 64. Up on the shelf with copies of Super Metroid, A link to the past, Super Mario 3 and Sonic 2 is a copy of the original Shenmue on Dreamcast. I don’t think it’s on screen long enough to really register with people who don’t know the series box art, but I find it pretty cool that someone who made his name by reviewing shitty games considers Shenmue to be up there with the best.
Not to say he's bad (his show is more of a comedy skit than a legitimate game review thing) but he might as well be called the Nitpick Nerd in some of his videos, which makes that moment in the Superman 64 video really impressive since Shenmue is such a low hanging fruit to make fun of.

I was half way done posting this video to ask which part of the game the music from the beginning of the video was from and it struck me that it was from the Saturn clip.

What a great piece of music, I hope Shenmue III has a lot of familiar pieces. Might as well up the nostalgia.

Back