Sega and Nintendo Minis Reigniting the Console war?

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
People are talking about it. Seems the Mini consoles are gonna rekindle old rivalry. Speculation that SEGA may be testing the waters in making hardware again are rolling in. Ur guys thoughts/speculations? Will you guys join in for some old fashion fun? :whistle: "Blast processing" and "Sega does what Nintendon't" is being thrown around again on Sns and forums. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

I've got a Snes mini and haven't really played it that much. 20 games for £70 wasn't too bad and it's nice to have as I haven't owned a SNES until adutlhood and the games are expensive.

The Mega Drive Mini could blow this out of the water. 40 games for £70 is awesome depending on what those games are. We shall see but I don't see it as a direct console war. Sega have been late to this party for quite some time.

I missed the 16 bi home consoles. Back then I was just a gameboy user. But became very intersted in this console generation . so I will get both systems soon to experience the great games of yesteryear. But I am more interested in getting the original hardware than the mini consoles.

The deal does seem to be good, and it'll be my chance to finally own a Sega "Genesis" since I grew up Ninty as a kid and only played Megadrive over at my cousin's place. I never went back due to costs/rarity being a huge barrier for me to officially get OG hardware and games.

The fanboy wars this bring about will be popcorn worthy at least if not a nostalgia trip.☕:giggle:

Honestly sure all us hardcore SEGA fans will get it, but generally it's not going to sell nearly as well as Nintendo's minis. Sega ruined their opportunity by constantly rereleasing the same collection of genesis games over and over again of varying (lack of) quality... the market is saturated and the fact that this one might actually be good for once isn't going to change the public's eye...

I'll most likely grab one though if there's enough options to tinker with it...

Not being a super hardcore SEGA fan I'm quiet impassive about it. I would have been eager for the PS1 Classic... but we all know how that went :p

Also with SEGA in particular they've released a Megadrive/Genesis Collection on consoles for the last 3 Generations! So I'm pretty content with the PS3 release I have really:
Had this included Disney's Mickey & Donald's World of Illusion… I would have reconsidered :p

I think one edge the MD/Gen Mini has over the collections is the inclusion of some third party heavy hitters. Personally, I've got a real Genesis hooked up to a nice CRT, many cartridges as well as an Everdrive, emulators, an AtGames Genesis, and the Sega Genesis collection on Steam and Xbox One... and I'm still excited about getting the Mini. Because having an exact, miniaturized replica of the Genesis is just cool. I'll get the next one in 25 years when it's the size of the head of a pin. I'm not even a fan of the NES but I thought the NES Mini was cool. Although they cheaped out and didn't make it so the cartridge door could open. Just one more case of Genesis Does...

@Vivi-gamer Yeah the Ps classic seems to be a fail. Luckily I am more a fan of real hardware anyway. When I want to play ps1 games I use the ps1 i recently got. My own ps1 i got in the 90s broke unfortunately so I had to get a new one. Got a us ps1 this time, so can play some exclusive US games as well.

I am quite sure that Sega will do a better job this time with the Mega Drive Mini then Sony, because they really seem serious about it. As far I am not mistaking Sega even delayed the release of the Mini to do a proper job.

But although I appreciate this affords from Sega I am still more interested in getting a original European Mega Drive . Or maybe a Genesis, but then it would be harder to get the games.

I really can't see Sega making hardware again, as:
a. I doubt they're in a better financial position than they were in the Dreamcast era
b. It's harder to "break in" again (three competitors tends to be as stable as it can be); so too, most but diehards would likely read a Sega console effort as a foolish cash-in rather than a return to form
c. With the 9th generation hinting at a "live service" streaming box model rather than a devoted console, why bother at this point in time?

The competition of mini-consoles is fun and fuels the old (often childhood) nostalgia, but I wouldn't read this as anything more than Sega getting some cash from its best selling console. Movies and TV have been milking 90s nostalgia for years, so I don't blame Nintendo/Sega for doing the same.

Not being a super hardcore SEGA fan I'm quiet impassive about it...
Had this included Disney's Mickey & Donald's World of Illusion… I would have reconsidered :p

sega-genesis-mega-drive-mini-titles-11-to-20-announced
Western Version
  • Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
  • Earthworm Jim
  • Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole
  • Probotector
  • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Streets of Rage II
  • Super Fantasy Zone
  • Thunder Force III
  • World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
Read more at https://gematsu.com/2019/04/sega-ge...titles-11-to-20-announced#v1Jia7bQHm24gmOG.99
….GOD DAMNIT!!! :p

Alright, 20 more titles to go. Let's get Sonic 3&K and the first (or both) Vectorman in there, if not Earthworm Jim 2 as well. Must admit I'm a pleasantly surprised by EWJ inclusion. Presumably Hang On and/or Outrun will also make the cut. Also, hope Sega US/Europe reconsider the 3 button controller. Already been sold since announcement, though, so whatever!

Man, they've got MUSHA on the Japanese version but not the Western versions. Hopefully it'll be revealed in the remaining 20. Other than that, no complaints here... I'm pleasantly surprised at how good this lineup is turning out to be. The Konami games in particular are both excellent quality as well as demanding an insanely high price in the collector realm, so it's great that they're included.

Sega should release a little Sega CD attachment that uses Gamecube-size discs. How awesome would that be??? Play some Snatcher and Sonic CD.

I'm glad they're venturing beyond the usual array of titles, but for these things to be worth the asking price to me, they would need to contain all the games I'd want to (re)play on the system - which includes WWF games, so that's never going to happen. I'd be a lot more willing to compromise on the line-up for £40, which is around the maximum I'd spend on a brand new game, than £70, no matter how good value anyone tells me that is.

I'm glad they're venturing beyond the usual array of titles, but for these things to be worth the asking price to me, they would need to contain all the games I'd want to (re)play on the system - which includes WWF games, so that's never going to happen. I'd be a lot more willing to compromise on the line-up for £40, which is around the maximum I'd spend on a brand new game, than £70, no matter how good value anyone tells me that is.

Not into the Retro-Fad mate?

I find there are lots of people who owns an OG system+Cartridges are still going to grab it since they're focusing on the bigger picture/implications.

:geek:

I'd say the picture is even bigger; Saturn at least for Japan, perhaps import friendly. Better yet, a hybrid Saturn/Dreamcast for worldwide.

Also, please Mega Man Wiley Wars!!!

Back