Shenmue 3 Gamescom Trailer & Release Date! [KS Update 90]

It seems obvious to me that they're following an agile development model, focussing on the core assets first, along with gameplay and story. Then making incremental upgrades to the environments and models. Judging by how much the models have improved from the beginning, it seems that's what is happening.

Other studios will spend large amounts of time and money creating trailers that will show off almost 'perfect' footage that is mostly representative of the final game. This consists of the team focussing on a small part of the game that they want for a trailer and creating a mostly final build of that very small part of the game, whilst the rest is far from finished, with many parts of the game not even started. It's not an efficient way of working, but it obviously makes sense from a marketing sense. For a crowdfunded project, it isn't efficient or neccessarily financially viable to do this.

But I'm no expert on video game development, I'm just a fan, so maybe I'm wrong.

Adding some movement to Shenhua's eyeballs during her monologue would've been financially viable and made a huge difference to non-fans, but I'll stop going on about this now, as I'm sounding like a broken record. I liked everything else about the trailer and I'm a very excited backer, it was just when I watched Ryo step off the boat with that dead stare I felt very disappointed. Fingers crossed for the next trailer.

It seems obvious to me that they're following an agile development model, focussing on the core assets first, along with gameplay and story. Then making incremental upgrades to the environments and models. Judging by how much the models have improved from the beginning, it seems that's what is happening.

Other studios will spend large amounts of time and money creating trailers that will show off almost 'perfect' footage that is mostly representative of the final game. This consists of the team focussing on a small part of the game that they want for a trailer and creating a mostly final build of that very small part of the game, whilst the rest is far from finished, with many parts of the game not even started. It's not an efficient way of working, but it obviously makes sense from a marketing sense. For a crowdfunded project, it isn't efficient or neccessarily financially viable to do this.

But I'm no expert on video game development, I'm just a fan, so maybe I'm wrong.
Yep, they're definitely using agile, Yu said so in an interview.

Adding some movement to Shenhua's eyeballs during her monologue would've been financially viable and made a huge difference to non-fans, but I'll stop going on about this now, as I'm sounding like a broken record. I liked everything else about the trailer and I'm a very excited backer, it was just when I watched Ryo step off the boat with that dead stare I felt very disappointed. Fingers crossed for the next trailer.

Your point is valid, but It's pretty clear that the facial animations are far from being finished.
Just think of it as another WIP trailer, which, while very artistic, doesn't reflect the final product.
(...granted we could've used a massive disclaimer)

Actually, I'd love to get "remastered" versions of all the trailers at some point, using the final assets.
Not only would they look fantastic, but would also serve as a clear side-by-side demonstration to how far the game would have come.

@xatruio - not really. You're saying the character models are constantly improving so all issues will be fixed before release, right? I'm saying one aspect that never changes are the doll-like eyes. So it isn't outside the realm of possibility that it is a creative choice that won't be 'fixed' before release.

Eyes and everything are much better than a year ago. In one year it will be even better, not that it would take a year or more to do minor fleshing out (no pun intended).

Sounds like what we'd call a more traditional model of development from back when I was a kid reading games magazines. I'm no developer at all but I swear games used to see increments of progress here and there.

Also they do not have the money to spend on a flashy trailers I'd rather they spent the time developing the game and teasing us. Yu is secretive about his games and I'm.sure the final product will blow us put the water.

I prefer the classic method of game design. The perfect trailers are not the best thing for marketing either. There were many cases when the trailers were too perfect and then the fans were complaining about the graphical down grades. A famous example of that would be the Witcher 3.

There will be always some fans complaining about something that is just natural. Shenmue Fans are no exception. I do not get the complaints about the dead stare,because eye moment is a thing that most modern games also lack. I did not see anything impressive in that matter anyway. Even the AAA games do not have perfect eye movement.

But I get it why some Shenmue Fans have such high exceptions. They expect something similar as the groundbreaking Originals. that introduced some new things to the gaming world.

It is not fair to expect that from 3. For that the budget is to limited. I just want a sequel of Shenmue 2 to see how the story progresses. Tech stuff is not that important to me. As long as the story is told well. And good story telling does not depend on eye movement. The voice acting and the music is way more important. Have no reason to assume that these things will be bad.

So it should become a nice Game.

I get the point of the people that want more though and also for that is still hope. We have not seen enough of the Game to really judge it yet.

For all w
I prefer the classic method of game design. The perfect trailers are not the best thing for marketing either. There were many cases when the trailers were too perfect and then the fans were complaining about the graphical down grades. A famous example of that would be the Witcher 3.

There will be always some fans complaining about something that is just natural. Shenmue Fans are no exception. I do not get the complaints about the dead stare,because eye moment is a thing that most modern games also lack. I did not see anything impressive in that matter anyway. Even the AAA games do not have perfect eye movement.

But I get it why some Shenmue Fans have such high exceptions. They expect something similar as the groundbreaking Originals. that introduced some new things to the gaming world.

It is not fair to expect that from 3. For that the budget is to limited. I just want a sequel of Shenmue 2 to see how the story progresses. Tech stuff is not that important to me. As long as the story is told well. And good story telling does not depend on eye movement. The voice acting and the music is way more important. Have no reason to assume that these things will be bad.

So it should become a nice Game.

I get the point of the people that want more though and also for that is still hope. We have not seen enough of the Game to really judge it yet.

I agree. For all we know, the Lan-Di segment could be the "bad ending" of Shenmue III

I agree. For all we know, the Lan-Di segment could be the "bad ending" of Shenmue III

If you watch the trailer closely Lan-Di segment is located at the same room as the fight with the old man and Ren watching, so probably is just the old man saying something like: "Ryo, imagine/visualize your worst fear/enemy/nightmare...", and then replace the oldman with Lan Di. But probably he's not really there, and it's just an illusion/mental image.

Last edited:
I'm starting to wonder if the excerpt footage used in the trailer
could be from a prototype of the demo they plan on sending to backers.

In this case, the footage is not staged for the trailer,
but would still be unrelated to the final game's story.

If you watch the trailer closely Lan-Di segment is located at the same room as the fight with the old man and Ren watching, so probably is just the old man saying something like: "Ryo, imagine/visualize your worst fear/enemy/nightmare...", and then replace the oldman with Lan Di. But probably he's not really there, and it's just an illusion/mental image.
This is an interesting theory. On the other hand I see no reason why it wouldn't be him. Ryo is after all, just one step behind Landi towards the end of Shenmue 2.

Wow... that is a good theory! Either way, it was really cool to see Lan-Di in HD. So evil...

Damn, that sounds awesome! Reminds me of the whole mind's eye thing from Shenmue II.

Take a bow! Amazing theory!

Makes sense why Ren is just standing watching, and that there is no real threat there.

Could also be a touch of the old "herb" going on here, imported directly from Yang.

Makes sense why Ren is just standing watching, and that there is no real threat there.

Could also be a touch of the old "herb" going on here, imported directly from Yang.

I think Ren was just including as an Easter Egg for fans/to show off the character model. I wouldn't be sure of him appearing in that scene with the old man at all, but who knows :shrug:

It sounds plausible that it could be part of training when you think of it. @Araviel was also on to something similar earlier in this thread.
...And Lan Di, even if it's just a tease to keep us hooked I'm happy (imagining it could be something that Ryo envisions while training).
Having Lan Di show up in that room did seem a bit weird otherwise. It didn't seem like Yu's style to reveal (the location of) an important fight in a "work in progress"-trailer. But who knows? Maybe something unexpected does happen.

There is still a huge time gap between this trailer and the release date. I don't get the knee jerk reactions unless this is coming out next month or so. Besides, Suzuki should already knows he needs to finalized & polish the game before actual release. :cool:
Exactly the point

There's plenty of time and I would be confident that this trailer is already a few months old now

Back