Shenmue 3 Gamescom Trailer & Release Date! [KS Update 90]

I still think it's bizarre they have pencilled in a release date over a year away. Surely it's better to finalise details like that closer to release? Summer 2019 would have sufficed.

I still think it's bizarre they have pencilled in a release date over a year away. Surely it's better to finalise details like that closer to release? Summer 2019 would have sufficed.

I have a feeling that they’ll announce a delay in Spring, follower by a trailer at E3 and then a release closer to the end of the year around Christmas.

Well--it is one thing to push a game back on an August 2019 window. It is another to push it back after a *specific* date, as that can cause a little more negativity I would think.

I'm of the mindset that this trailer is a combination of footages both new and older. When I rewatch it, it looks like Ryo is much more detailed in some scenes than others. He looks better while facing Lan Di than he did getting off the boat.

If Yu is using the Agile method, then I would wager we will see substantial improvements in the coming months to the game.

I'm just happy that we have an actual release date now. Hopefully this means we'll get more details on the game a lot more often now.

Well--it is one thing to push a game back on an August 2019 window. It is another to push it back after a *specific* date, as that can cause a little more negativity I would think.

They'd have to provide another concrete date and have it not too far ahead. I think people would be okay as long as it's not more than about 2 months.

I think they must be pretty confident this time. At a guess, they have over estimated, but it's a slot Deep Silver want. In other words, I think they intend for the game to be ready and finished a fair while before the release date, but there is a bit of a buffer.

Looks like IGN deleted their Shenmue 3 trailer video wich was uploaded with really bad framerate!
Cool.. all those stupid comments blamming the development for the framerate team went away with the video! lol

I'm hopeful that the wait will be worth it but I'm also more likely to believe I'll be disappointed with the final product. Same old cave scene taking up most of the trailer really got me irritated. Show me something new, something to anticipate. Seems like the development team doesn't have much haste in their project. Need someone over there to crack the figurative whip IMO.

Seems to me like they are waiting to do most of the character model animation last, the animation from the video with the little girl wasnt all that bad, but the animation from all the other trailers looks noticebly stiff. And maybe they are waiting on that to give us the official trailer with combat and more of the world, we havent even really seen much of the button prompts or UI yet either, there is alot they still have to unveil.

If you watch the trailer closely Lan-Di segment is located at the same room as the fight with the old man and Ren watching, so probably is just the old man saying something like: "Ryo, imagine/visualize your worst fear/enemy/nightmare...", and then replace the oldman with Lan Di. But probably he's not really there, and it's just an illusion/mental image.

I don't know why most of you are afraid that Lan Di will appear in Shenmue 3 , trying to make it a dream, imagination or whatever...
Part of the plot of Shenmue is to find Lan Di, did not it occur to you that it will ever happen? Does it matter if it happens now?
Or do we have to wait for Shenmue 6 " the final chapter, the revenge" in the year 2069?

I don't know why most of you are afraid that Lan Di will appear in Shenmue 3 , trying to make it a dream, imagination or whatever...
Part of the plot of Shenmue is to find Lan Di, did not it occur to you that it will ever happen? Does it matter if it happens now?
Or do we have to wait for Shenmue 6 " the final chapter, the revenge" in the year 2069?

Nobody is afraid that Lan Di will appear in Shenmue III. In fact, we're pretty much expecting him to show up given that he has in both games so far.

What some are concerned about is that the trailer spoils too much - by showing Lan Di and Ryo about to battle, are they telling us the fight happens in this game (when we know the story doesn't conclude)? Most people want the when and where to be revealed to them when they play the game, not in the promotional materials.

The fight Ryo has with the woman fighter with the cowboy hat in Shenmue II and pulls her from the cliff tells you all you need to know if the same scenario happened with Lan Di. He'll have a flashback Lishao Tao about revenge and he'll not go through with that deed. Ryo is not a killer.

Nobody is afraid that Lan Di will appear in Shenmue III. In fact, we're pretty much expecting him to show up given that he has in both games so far.

What some are concerned about is that the trailer spoils too much - by showing Lan Di and Ryo about to battle, are they telling us the fight happens in this game (when we know the story doesn't conclude)? Most people want the when and where to be revealed to them when they play the game, not in the promotional materials.

While I agree, it tells me that this is not the end all, be all confrontation between Lan Di and Ryo.

And, I also sort of understand it from a promotional standpoint, Shenmue is about as relevant right now as it has been in 17 years so this trailer needed something to pack an extra punch. Seeing Niao Sun would mean something to us here at the Dojo, but not to the average person who stumbles across the trailer out of curiosity. It's also been the most discussed part of the trailer virtually everywhere, so it worked at least a little bit.

I don't understand why people assume a fight between Ryo and Lan Di has to be the 'final battle'. What if it's just one of multiple confrontations between the two?

While I agree that Lan Di may not be the final battle, we can all agree that it's still something important of the plot, at least not to be revealed in a trailer... With that said, I think Lan Di is just the fuel and motivation for Ryo to find and fullfill something greater, something that even trascends him. Shenhua's prophecy is there, giving us hints that something out of our imagination is gonna happen... with magical elements involved.

(Also this theory is interesting:

quote from Kodama:
"So far in the Shenmue series we are aware of only two mirrors: the Dragon Mirror and the Phoenix Mirror. These are two of the Four Divine Beasts. It could be that this is a mere coincidence, after all the dragon and the phoenix are two of the most popular beasts of Chinese Legend. However, each of the Four Divine Beasts are also the names of the four divisions of the sky and, as is revealed by Yuanda Zhu in Shenmue II, the mirrors can be made to reveal star constellations. Since the Four Divine Beasts have a strong connection to astrology this strengthens the link between the mirrors and the Four Divine Beasts, putting it, in my opinion, beyond the possibility of coincidence.

This, in turn, opens up the possibility of two more, undiscovered mirrors as the Divine Beasts White Tiger and Black Tortoise are unaccounted for. If two such mirrors existed all quarters of the sky would be accounted for and one constellation from each quarter would be revealed.")

Check this old Shenmue Online artworks and the Four Divine Beasts pic... I'm sure Lan Di will not be the main focus of Shenmue's ending (and it was already kind of a secondary character in Shenmue II).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 17
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 5.png
    5.png
    217.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Bro, it's called markting lol. Yu san knew Shenmue 1 and 2 were being released August 21th, so it would ad to the hype, and more people would eventualy pre-order shenmue 3 as well. Smart decision.
It may even be delayed again who knows.

Bro, it's called markting lol. Yu san knew Shenmue 1 and 2 were being released August 21th, so it would ad to the hype, and more people would eventualy pre-order shenmue 3 as well. Smart decision.
It may even be delayed again who knows.
Plus it gives deep silver and everyone involved time to really push the marketing now. They can milestone game shows for example. Press releases etc.

Expect promotion to ramp up in the coming months.

While I agree that Lan Di may not be the final battle, we can all agree that it's still something important of the plot, at least not to be revealed in a trailer... With that said, I think Lan Di is just the fuel and motivation for Ryo to find and fullfill something greater, something that even trascends him. Shenhua's prophecy is there, giving us hints that something out of our imagination is gonna happen... with magical elements involved.

quote from Kodama:
"So far in the Shenmue series we are aware of only two mirrors: the Dragon Mirror and the Phoenix Mirror. These are two of the Four Divine Beasts. It could be that this is a mere coincidence, after all the dragon and the phoenix are two of the most popular beasts of Chinese Legend. However, each of the Four Divine Beasts are also the names of the four divisions of the sky and, as is revealed by Yuanda Zhu in Shenmue II, the mirrors can be made to reveal star constellations. Since the Four Divine Beasts have a strong connection to astrology this strengthens the link between the mirrors and the Four Divine Beasts, putting it, in my opinion, beyond the possibility of coincidence.

This, in turn, opens up the possibility of two more, undiscovered mirrors as the Divine Beasts White Tiger and Black Tortoise are unaccounted for. If two such mirrors existed all quarters of the sky would be accounted for and one constellation from each quarter would be revealed.")

Check this old Shenmue Online artworks and the Four Divine Beasts pic... I'm sure Lan Di will not be the main focus of Shenmue's ending (and it was already kind of a secondary character in Shenmue II).

I've done enough reading and researching the old boards (and interviews) to conclude that there are most-likely, only 2 mirrors; that's the way the story has been set up, that's what Zhu alluded to in 2 (saying that the dragon mirror completed the map and as such, the constellation) and that's how THAT will turn out.

However, as we all know as well, there will definitely be the appearance of the other 2 bosses/heavenly beasts and something will come of that in this game, for sure (have a feeling a fight with Niao Sun will be the last fight of the game and she/the game will reveal at least 1 of the other 2).

The fight Ryo has with the woman fighter with the cowboy hat in Shenmue II and pulls her from the cliff tells you all you need to know if the same scenario happened with Lan Di. He'll have a flashback Lishao Tao about revenge and he'll not go through with that deed. Ryo is not a killer.
(y)

quote from Kodama:

I've done enough reading and researching the old boards (and interviews) to conclude that there are most-likely, only 2 mirrors; that's the way the story has been set up, that's what Zhu alluded to in 2 (saying that the dragon mirror completed the map and as such, the constellation) and that's how THAT will turn out.

However, as we all know as well, there will definitely be the appearance of the other 2 bosses/heavenly beasts and something will come of that in this game, for sure (have a feeling a fight with Niao Sun will be the last fight of the game and she/the game will reveal at least 1 of the other 2).

The Dragon and the Phoenix of the mirrors are probably not the Azure Dragon and Vermilion Bird represented in the Four Symbols. The dragon is not the same dragon, and the phoenix is not the same phoenix; the problem is that although in English we refer to them both as "phoenix", neither of them are traditional western phoenixes and in Chinese they have two entirely different names altogether.

I'm going to quote my own post here:

The answer to whether there are two or four mirrors depends entirely on which "Phoenix" it is.

The four keys refer to the Four Symbols; the Azure Dragon of the East (Qinglong/Canglong, Seiryu), the Vermilion Bird of the South (Zhuque, Suzaku), the White Tiger of the West (Baihu, Byakko), and the Black Snake Tortoise of the North (Xuanwu, Genbu).

However, more typically the Dragon and Phoenix are used as a pair representing power sent from the heavens to the emperor and empress respectively.

533px-Twelve_Symbols_national_emblem_of_China.svg.png

In this instance, the Phoenix is in fact Fenghuang or Houou, which is an entirely separate beast from the Vermilion Bird of the South. I'm not entirely sure which is intended to be the case, but it certainly appears to be this one (which would imply only two mirrors).

Yeah, but did you see how he callously tossed Cool Z's boombox into the air over his shoulder? Ryo's got some psycho in him, that's for sure!

Back