Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that has to be taken into account with regards to Cedric and YSNet not talking about sales or expectations is due to the publisher relationship with Deep Silver. Deep Silver are a publicly-traded company so any talk of sales,etc has to go via them first as they don't want share price being affected.
Indeed, although this does mean that at some point they will have to publish earnings. It’s possible that there’s already a document out there telling us how much the EGS deal was worth, although if there is, it’s not one of the ones in their webpage.

Indeed, although this does mean that at some point they will have to publish earnings. It’s possible that there’s already a document out there telling us how much the EGS deal was worth, although if there is, it’s not one of the ones in their webpage.
Those documents are accesible for other titles? For example the last Exodus title

For Control, via 505 games we have a figure for Epic exclusivity:

Yeah. Came across this earlier. If it’s anything to go by, DS had already made a huge profit before the game had even released. That doesn’t help us with Shenmue 4 though unless they think they can make a similar deal with Epic next time around. Unfortunately, that will depend entirely on how well S3 sells on the EGS.

Yeah, EGS won’t keep shelling out cash for Shenmue if Shenmue doesn’t bring new people to EGS. They aren’t a charity.

Japan is way more brand/moba loyalty (Yu even mention when asks he's dissapointed in JPN's gaming market degrading in recent years) so sales seems to reflect this...Sony Flight, Xbox unable to breakthrough, & Ninty's adamant marketing to casuals/hand-helds & huge domestic brand loyalty all seems to point to circumstances that is just volatile to Shenmue's success. If S3 had a first party branding/and or SEGA official branding we'd see prolly higher sales number. If it was on Ninty's switch as well, JPN would play a much higher contribution rate to sales.

I can't understand the negative wave right now. If they are negative with S3 in their hands, then in 2005 they should commit suicide or something like that.
I agree. It just seems like some people are being negative for the sake of being negative. The Shenmue Facebook page is miserable, they just keep posting negative opinions and articles.

You just got the game you have been waiting 18 years for, immerse yourself in it and ignore all of the negatives from outsiders.

The fact that the Chinese market is now available is really huge for Shenmue and Yu Suzuki. The amount of players there is bigger than europe + north america. Even if we hit a tiny amount of these players by selling them the game it will be a giant boost for Shenmue 4. I really hope we ll hit the mark for Yu Suzuki to announce us a sequel :)
Edit : grammar

That's what I'm figuring about China.

They have a population of 1 billion+ (approx. 1.5 billion).

If 1 ten thousandth (0.0001)% of the population purchases this game, it will be 150,000 at least.

I'm thinking that simply due to sheer population size, it will help make a dent into sales.

EDIT* Further breaking it down, let's say 10% of the Chinese population owns PC/PS4/Whatever. That's 150,000,000. Then, let's say that 0.1% of those people buy it, it is still 150,000.

Cracked copies being sold or not, I truly cannot see at least 100,000 from China alone. Impossible.

That's what I'm figuring about China.

They have a population of 1 billion+ (approx. 1.5 billion).

If 1 ten thousandth (0.0001)% of the population purchases this game, it will be 150,000 at least.

I'm thinking that simply due to sheer population size, it will help make a dent into sales.

EDIT* Further breaking it down, let's say 10% of the Chinese population owns PC/PS4/Whatever. That's 150,000,000. Then, let's say that 0.1% of those people buy it, it is still 150,000.

Cracked copies being sold or not, I truly cannot see at least 100,000 from China alone. Impossible.
Well, when does it release in China?

slow down there, only 1.5 million ps4's had been sold as of last year, after its 3 years on the market, its probably gone up some but not by much. (dont get mislead by the url, its 1.5 million when you click the link you just cant have a . in a url)

And point 2 puts alot of perspective about how big pc gaming is over there, or rather how niche it actually is compared to the market as a whole and how its losing prominence

China can help sales, but don't expect it to be an amazing savior for the franchise. Its probaby gonna be in the ball park of japan's sales at best if not much smaller.

Last edited:
slow down there, only 1.5 million ps4's had been sold as of last year, after its 3 years on the market, its probably done up some but not by much. (dont get mislead by the url, its 1.5 million when you click the link you just cant have a . in a url)

And point 2 puts alot of perspective about how big pc gaming is over, or rather how niche it actually is compared to the market as a whole and how its losing prominence

China can help sales, but don't expect it to be an amazing savior for the franchise. Its probaby gonna be in the ball park of japan's market if not smaller.

+1 for this. China isn't going to do much for Shenmue 3 sales. The Chinese market as a whole is mainly focused on PC games, and for the most part browser or F2P titles.

+1 for this. China isn't going to do much for Shenmue 3 sales. The Chinese market as a whole is mainly focused on PC games, and for the most part browser on F2P titles.
I posted a bit about it in the 2nd half of my comment, but even PC games there are on a massive downard trend due to a variety of reasons, some from just the dramatically bigger interest in mobile, and also cause the politics of the region and the issues trying to bring in a game from outside the country. Even shenmue 3 has some censorship going into it such as refusing to say Ryo is from japan just "from a foreign country" and making the game take place in a fictional part of china rather than Guilin.

China is not the market people think it is for games, companies are trying to make their splash there but for all intents and purposes its still in a relatively infantile state, and standing on uncertain terms with the rising political turmoil going on in the country on various degrees both big and small, everywhere from heavy censorship to worse like what happened to that game devotion. Companies are going there to get a head start in hopes that it turns into something more, but its current state right now is not anything someone wants to bank on.

slow down there, only 1.5 million ps4's had been sold as of last year, after its 3 years on the market, its probably done up some but not by much. (dont get mislead by the url, its 1.5 million when you click the link you just cant have a . in a url)

And point 2 puts alot of perspective about how big pc gaming is over there, or rather how niche it actually is compared to the market as a whole and how its losing prominence

China can help sales, but don't expect it to be an amazing savior for the franchise. Its probaby gonna be in the ball park of japan's market if not smaller.

I do not agree at all. The population of pc gamers is insanely huge https://www.pcgamer.com/pc-gaming-i...w-about-the-worlds-biggest-pc-games-industry/
If even a tiny fraction of it is evenly curious to buy it it WILL save the sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back