Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

I thought this was an interesting comparison article. UK Debut at #34 , 84% down on Darksiders II. The tone of the article is that the game is an absolute sales disaster.

6 months later THQN bought the studio and a spin off is about to be released.

Interestingly enough, that game made its money back (according to Wiki)...either Darksiders III had a considerably low budget or it found an audience over time.

I don't know...I'm not giving up hope on Shenmue IV. I mean surely they've got to take the 69.000 backers that were already in place into account. Add to that the lack of advertising, even yesterday while watching Easy Allies play it, I was still seeing the occasional comment of "wait, this came out?" and I've seen that comment in more places than one.

I don't know...who knows what will happen...we won't know the fate of Shenmue until next year probably.

Hi guys !

I want to share my thought about the sale of Shenmue 3.

First thing I did was to look how many copy of Shenmue I&II was sold
From what I found on vgchartz and steamspy, Shenmue I&II was sold about 350k and 400k

But I am not sure the number of vgchartz are accurate.
When I have looked the sales of Vampyr on this site, I have found about 650k, but we know the game sold more than 1 million sales (the editor communicate about that).

So I think we can estimate the sale of Shenmue I&II about 600k

I think shenmue 3 can sale about the same of Shenmue I&II (maybe little more or little less with the new comer and some guys who bought Shenmue i&II but won't buy Shenmue 3)
For now we know Shenmue 3 sale about 20k in japan (famitsu) physical copy only

From this news : http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/1154041/japon-les-meilleures-ventes-d-octobre-2019.htm
We can see almost 33% of the sale are digital in japan, so lets assume Shenmue 3 sold 30k in japan the fisrt week.

By the way, lot of people say (quite rightly) the sales of Shenmue 3 are disapointed, but just to compare, Astral Chain sold 32k for his first week in japan, and i assume it has a much more bigger budget than Shenmue 3 (and a bigger makerting campaign).

If we add the sale of kickstarter, we are at 110k sales, which is not bad

We all know most of the sale will be in USA and EU.

Vampyr is a AA game like Shenmue 3 and I think it has more or less the same budget than Shenmue 3.
After the first month they sold 450k copy of Vampyr, and the game needed to sold 500k to make a profit

In conclusion I think Shenmue 3 can sold about 600k if Vampy could sold more than 1 million.

And don't forget Shenmue 3 was a kickstarter so if with all the publihsers (deep silver shibuya ect ...) and the kickstarter the game has a budget of production of 10 millions, 5 millions was "free" because it came from kickstarter (5 millions instead of 7 millions because of the fees of kickstarter and the production on goodies).

An other good point for Shenmue 3, it is the 11th most discussed PS4 game of 2019, it is better than Ghost recon Breakpoint (12th) and it was released after
It is better than Control, Metro Exodus, Medievil, Plague tale innocence or Judgement :)

Last edited:
Darksiders came out on the 27/11/18, and that article about terible sales was almost a year to the day.

It wasn't until febuary that they (thqn) spoke about it though.

We were a bit lukewarm on it, but Darksiders 3 looks like it's performed as well as publisher THQ Nordic had hoped, and Darksiders remains one of the publisher's key series.

It's a simpler, more combat-focused outing than its predecessors, lacking in the puzzle, platforming and loot departments. Samuel Horti gave it 63 in his Darksiders 3 review, but despite a slightly tepid critical reception, it's sold well enough to recoup its investments and marketing budget, according to THQ Nordic's latest financial report.

To give the game another boost, DLC is due out this year. DLC was always part of the plan, however, with two new adventures announced in 2018.

It's very similar to our situation (guaranteed DLC), good but not great criticial reception...I think we will be alright. I genuinely do.

I was thinking about SNK's The King of Fighters series which is also published by Deep Silver here in the UK and that last game - King of Fighters XIV - only made #20 in the UK in the middle of a dry summer, but they still keep making them

The game reached number 20 on the UK physical sales chart.[66] During its Japanese release, the game sold 20,655 units.[67] By November 2017 SNK announced that the period of Summer 2016 to Summer 2017 was very profitable for them attributing it to the release of The King of Fighters XIV and its DLC characters.[68] In 2016, The King of Fighters XIV was nominated for the "Best Fighting Game" Award at The Game Awards but lost to Street Fighter V.[69]

Sold 20K in Japan. Although I doubt KOF XIV cost anywhere near as much to make as SIII, they didn't have a 7 million head start either. Still was 'very profitable' for SNK, even with those numbers. And all that work they did in XIV - was scrapped in favour of using the unreal engine for the upcoming game. SIII has another advantage there.

Reading the "slow sales figures" articles just makes me chuckle... Must have been a very slow Monday for news if that's the best they can come up with.

I honestly think it's pointless to be negative about this sort of thing and it's a far better use of our time and energy to be positive about the game in forums, on social media, twitch etc. The game was great and I believe that Yu and Ysnet have done enough to secure us a 4th game in the series.

That said, the sales threads are all estimates at the moment, and most likely we will never get a fully accurate sales number. We don't have access to the full sales data due to not knowing the digital PS4 or digital PC numbers, and even if we did have a 100% correct number, we still have no idea how much the game actually cost, and therefore we won't know how many sales is considered a "success". We also have no idea how much external funding was provided by Deep Silver, EGS, Sony & Sega (if there actually was some), so how can we work out how many copies need to be sold...

Personally, I don't think we will hear anything for a while. The game has been out for only 2 weeks, and even then, we have all the DLC to look forward too. When it comes to numbers & thoughts on a sequel, I will wait until I hear anything official from Cedric. He is someone who will have access to both sets of information. He knows how much the game cost, and how many sales it has had. When he tweets he is happy, I'm happy and I believe that he will do everything he can to get the ball rolling in our favour. The last thing that he wants to see while he is looking for additional funding for Shenmue 4, is a sea of negativity regarding the sales of Shenmue 3. There are many reasons to be positive and that will help the series out in the long run. I fully expect them to secure funding (a new generation of systems is launching soon and Sony & Microsoft - and EGS & Google lol - are eager to pay for exclusivity deals for one) and I'm certain we will get another game to continue the story. As a community, we managed to do the unthinkable and resurrect a game franchise that was pretty much dead and buried, why throw in the towel now?

Reading the "slow sales figures" articles just makes me chuckle... Must have been a very slow Monday for news if that's the best they can come up with.

I honestly think it's pointless to be negative about this sort of thing and it's a far better use of our time and energy to be positive about the game in forums, on social media, twitch etc. The game was great and I believe that Yu and Ysnet have done enough to secure us a 4th game in the series.

That said, the sales threads are all estimates at the moment, and most likely we will never get a fully accurate sales number. We don't have access to the full sales data due to not knowing the digital PS4 or digital PC numbers, and even if we did have a 100% correct number, we still have no idea how much the game actually cost, and therefore we won't know how many sales is considered a "success". We also have no idea how much external funding was provided by Deep Silver, EGS, Sony & Sega (if there actually was some), so how can we work out how many copies need to be sold...

Personally, I don't think we will hear anything for a while. The game has been out for only 2 weeks, and even then, we have all the DLC to look forward too. When it comes to numbers & thoughts on a sequel, I will wait until I hear anything official from Cedric. He is someone who will have access to both sets of information. He knows how much the game cost, and how many sales it has had. When he tweets he is happy, I'm happy and I believe that he will do everything he can to get the ball rolling in our favour. The last thing that he wants to see while he is looking for additional funding for Shenmue 4, is a sea of negativity regarding the sales of Shenmue 3. There are many reasons to be positive and that will help the series out in the long run. I fully expect them to secure funding (a new generation of systems is launching soon and Sony & Microsoft - and EGS & Google lol - are eager to pay for exclusivity deals for one) and I'm certain we will get another game to continue the story. As a community, we managed to do the unthinkable and resurrect a game franchise that was pretty much dead and buried, why throw in the towel now?
This sums up everything a number of us have been saying on here perfectly!

What if Google funded IV to be a Stadia exclusive lol? I thought the EGS outrage was bad, I can’t imagine haha

Hahaha, yeah, definitely. However, perusing the web and various reviews seems to indicate that Stadia is a decent idea poorly executed, yet also ahead of it's time. Seems almost DOA.

Even for a powerhouse like Google, coming into an industry dominated by the Big Three, especially with a newer type of tech is almost impossible.

Shenmue 3 is now number 64 on the best sellers list for PS4. I am looking at Amazon from the United States. As for Steam... well obviously there may be some people holding out for a Steam release.

I don't know if number 64 on the best seller's list is bad. It doesn't seem like a bad thing. If anything, I think that it is good news.

Last edited:
Shenmue 3 is now number 64 on the best sellers list for PS4. I am looking at Amazon from the United States. As for Steam... well obviously there may be some people holding out for a Steam release.

I don't know if number 64 on the best seller's list is bad. It doesn't seem like a bad thing. If anything, I think that it is good news.

Of course we'd all love for it to be higher, but I think the most important thing is not to compare sales with other games, it's not a money maker like COD. Shenmue just needs to sell well enough to warrant Shenmue IV, it doesn't need to sell well relative to other games.

Taken from resetera, Shenmue 3 hit the top 10 in Spain in it's first week

BdyT2w4.png

Hardware:
Switch:
PS4: 2200
Xbox One: 330

Data from Archive:
Week 26, 2019: PS4 Judgment: 2550 units
Week 16, 2018: PS4 Yakuza 6: 1500 units

So more Spanish numbers

- Shenmue I & II sold 4150 copies during the first week
- 4400 Spanish backers for Shenmue 4
- 1900 units sold first week
- KS + Retail make a really good number for a niche game in Spain

Also, we don't have numbers but I love to see that in some places Shenmue I & II are selling better due to III being released

Man, how many of these Shenmue 3 outfit codes have they tweeted now? 50? 75?
They are for EU only, i always see them 3-10 minutes after they were tweeted and i'm always too late.

They are for EU only, i always see them 3-10 minutes after they were tweeted and i'm always too late.
It’s nice to see them promoting it. Makes me feel optimistic.

hang on, who is tweeting outfit codes? Are they only valid a certain amount of time(s)?

Edit: never mind, just saw the tweet. Are the codes only available once? So first come first serve type of thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back