Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, it's so funny how much misinformation that one VG247 article has managed to spread around, and how shit it really is :p Surprisingly, the ResetEra thread isn't as bad as I thought it would be. There are a lot of people saying that the article is full of shit, and the other response is generally "well no shit". You have the usual RE trolls as well of course. The article is pointless, and the thread is pointless too, just ignore it.
That's because I'm sure there's some of us on there ready to defend our beloved Shenmue and our boy Yu Suzuki.

Your knowledge of the Guinness World Records verification process regarding Shenmue.
you dont know how Guiness works? As long as no one else contests your claim you're in.

Video game companies were not publicly divulging their game budgets in the 90's. It just wasnt normally done.

Gamstat.com have a rough way of checking how many people have played each game on PS4. Their website explains how they do this before people start asking. It’s not an exact number but it helps them get close.

They only have up to 24th November but they’re saying only 24,000 played Shenmue 3 on their PS4 in the first 5 days it was on sale.

Gamstat.com have a rough way of checking how many people have played each game on PS4. Their website explains how they do this before people start asking. It’s not an exact number but it helps them get close.

They only have up to 24th November but they’re saying only 24,000 played Shenmue 3 on their PS4 in the first 5 days it was on sale.
If you look at their methodology, these figures are useless for smaller titles. The fact that we know there were 18k new PS4 sales in Japan alone and 70k+ backers (most of whom were on PS4) should be enough to confirm this

It only registers people who have played it. Not everyone will have played it that bought it in the first 5 days. Plus not everyone from the 70k got the PS4 version, I even know people who got the PS4 backer copy and still haven’t played it. Most I know took days to play it.

It’s Worth keeping an eye on but not looking good.

It only registers people who have played it. It everyone will have played it that bought it in the first 5 days. Worth keeping an eye on but not looking good.
I really doubt there were 60k+ copies bought/backed but not played.

The relatively small sample size make figures like this incredibly unreliable for niche games to the point where they are more or less useless.

Aside from the small sample size, the demographic sampled will also have a big impact. Given that they rely on profiles being set to public and the bulk of the Shenmue fan base being a little older and a little more privacy minded, this will also likely have a big impact.

It only registers people who have played it. Not everyone will have played it that bought it in the first 5 days. Worth keeping an eye on but not looking good.

70,000 backers + 18,000 Japanese physical version consumers + whatever the number of people in NA and EU was for the game in terms of new purchases, both physically and digitally and out of all of that only 24,000 people logged in the first week to play it? (not to mention this isn't tracking PC users)

okay

So the majority of PS4 backers, in addition to all the new consumers in the world who bought the game physically and digitally, took a whole week to finally get around to starting the game up

okay

So the majority of PS4 backers took a whole week to finally get around to starting the game up
Considering it was impossible for me to play it before because it took 6 days after release for the game to arrive, yes.

It was the same for every other backer I know. No reason mine would arrive much later than anyone elses. It's pretty much the norm for backer copies to arrive late on kickstarter.
You seem to have been in the unlucky minority. The vast majority of people active on these forums (at least those posting in the backer copies thread) received their copies on time or early and those that did post about delays tended to be a day or two in most cases.

Im sure that some did get their copies late, but at best I’d guess at about 10-20%. Even if no additional copies were sold (which we know categorically wasn’t the case), the backers who got their copies in the first four days (probably about 40,000) were enough to nearly double the estimate from gamestats before additional sales are taken into account.

You seem to have been in the unlucky minority. The vast majority of people active on these forums (at least those posting in the backer copies thread) received their copies on time or early and those that did post about delays tended to be a day or two in most cases.

Im sure that some did get their copies late, but at best I’d guess at about 10-20%. Even if no additional copies were sold (which we know categorically wasn’t the case), the backers who got their copies in the first four days (probably about 40,000) were enough to nearly double the estimate from gamestats before additional sales are taken into account.
That seems like a lot of guesswork based on personal bias tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back