Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, from a narrative perspective, what's the point of someone asking if "that's the village" ? And someone responding "that's where people live".
I've played and watched a lot of japanese media, and yes there's always the nanis, soka, etooooooooo, and so on, but not to the point of clarifying that people live in a village.
Since shenhua know that ryo is from a city, she probably though he didn't know what a village was and so told him what was its purpose.

Uhm...40k is bad?. 40k sales sounds good? In terms of similar number in sales, if I'm Deep Silver and being open and patient; 40k is middling, yet optimistic, especially since about half or more of the investment was fronted by kickstarter.

I'm not surprised. Considering how many people double dipped, and deduct pc backers and you don't have that many backers left. Unfortunately considering the mediocre reviews and the game not looking very nice I'm not surprised it didn't garner much interest outside of the fanbase.

I remember when we warned about this back in 2017 and people were in denial. Seems like not much has changed since then.

The backer total and Japan physical sales alone are way, way more than 40k. There is no way that number is accurate. I find it hard to believe if 20,000 physical ps4 copies have been sold in Japan alone then only 20,000 other people in the rest of the world, either by physical or psn copies, played it?. My wife played my copy on her psn account too, and I'm surely not alone in that (people in the same household running 1 disc on multiple accounts), so wouldn't that track as an extra player as well?

According to that website
Terminator: Resistance11,000+11,00011,000
Terminator only sold 11k copies? That seems ridiculously low. It was out on the 15th of November which was four days earlier than S3 , too.

Last edited:
Uhm...40k is bad?. 40k sales sounds good? In terms of similar number in sales, if I'm Deep Silver and being open and patient; 40k is middling, yet optimistic, especially since about half or more of the investment was fronted by kickstarter.
Depends how much they invested and how much their share of profit is on each sale. Also how much they will make on dlc. If you have any official sources on investment from deepsilver we could make an estimate of how much they need to make a profit.

The backer total and Japan physical sales alone are way, way more than 40k. There is no way that number is accurate. I find it hard to believe if 20,000 physical ps4 copies have been sold in Japan alone then only 20,000 other people in the rest of the world, either by physical or psn copies, played it?. My wife played my copy on her psn account too, and I'm surely not alone in that (people in the same household running 1 disc on multiple accounts), so wouldn't that track as an extra player as well?

According to that website
Terminator: Resistance11,000+11,00011,000
Terminator only sold 11k copies? That seems ridiculously low. It was out on the 15th of November which was four days earlier than S3 , too.
You’re wasting your time. Some people want this game to fail so badly that they’re willing to throw logic and reason out of the window. They’d sooner believe that tens of thousands of people bought the game as a paper weight rather than to play it...

You’re wasting your time. Some people want this game to fail so badly that they’re willing to throw logic and reason out of the window. They’d sooner believe that tens of thousands of people bought the game as a paper weight rather than to play it...

Yeah, I wouldn't argue that it's a sleeper hit by any means, but we're really all speculating with all the public info we have. The closest thing we have to data is the NPD list from a few pages back. Obviously, a higher ranking on best sellers lists = more sales, but it's tough to navigate through a launch during essentially black friday, kickstarter copies, and huge releases coming out and what not. But we really just need to know the total sales numbers and not particularly the ranking.

Whatever makes you feel better, buddy.

Seems that the logic of wait until official channels comment has gone out the window.

These trophy figures are a snippet, there's no sample methodology around this so it's all guess work.

I'm waiting for official channels to make comment before worrying about it.

Whatever makes you feel better, buddy.
I’m sorry that common sense is getting in the way of your ‘I told you so’ moment. Perhaps there was a shortage of frisbees in Japan during launch week and maybe all of the backer copies got lost in the mail? I’m genuinely curious how you propose 100,000 more or less confirmed copies ( even before taking into account 90% of marketplaces) translates to 40,000.

Returning to the discussion of sales, the trophy sites have all shown increases in the total number of players of 1% or higher over the last 20 hours (PSN Profiles - 2.5%, True Trophies - 1% and PSN Trophy Leaders 1.4%). Of course, Game Stat’s prediction that the game will see a 2.5% increase over the course of 7 days is definitely accurate.

I’m sorry that common sense is getting in the way of your ‘I told you so’ moment. Perhaps there was a shortage of frisbees in Japan during launch week and maybe all of the backer copies got lost in the mail? I’m genuinely curious how you propose 100,000 more or less confirmed copies ( even before taking into account 90% of marketplaces) translates to 40,000.

Returning to the discussion of sales, the trophy sites have all shown increases in the total number of players of 1% or higher over the last 20 hours (PSN Profiles - 2.5%, True Trophies - 1% and PSN Trophy Leaders 1.4%). Of course, Game Stat’s prediction that the game will see a 2.5% increase over the course of 7 days is definitely accurate.
You're making up numbers again and again you're putting words in my mouth that I never said.

But keep telling yourself we are only being realist because for some reason we want this game to fail.

You're making up numbers again and again you're putting words in my mouth that I never said.

But keep telling yourself we are only being realist because for some reason we want this game to fail.
Making up numbers? 81,000 backers (the vast majority of which were on PS4), 18,000 confirmed sales in Japan’s opening week, 1,900 confirmed sales in Spain’s opening week, 5,000 Limited Run SEs, 2,500 Pix n Love LE’s. These are all pretty black and white and one doesn’t need a calculator to see that they add up to significantly more than 40,000. How many copies were sold digitally and across the rest of the world (excluding Spain and Japan) is anybodies guess, but even a pessimist would presume it’s a fairly significant amount.

Being realistic consists of weighing up the information available and making an informed assessment. Blindly following a single piece of data (which the publishers themselves admit is unreliable) when there are various conflicting sources (all of which are far more reliable) is, to put it politely, naive.

Im curious exactly how I’m putting words in your mouth?

Even if that 40k is correct. Most of the fans got at least 2 copies XD (diferrent editions, etc)... you can double this number LoL

Making up numbers? 81,000 backers (the vast majority of which were on PS4), 18,000 confirmed sales in Japan’s opening week, 1,900 confirmed sales in Spain’s opening week, 5,000 Limited Run SEs, 2,500 Pix n Love LE’s. These are all pretty black and white and one doesn’t need a calculator to see that they add up to significantly more than 40,000. How many copies were sold digitally and across the rest of the world (excluding Spain and Japan) is anybodies guess, but even a pessimist would presume it’s a fairly significant amount.

Being realistic consists of weighing up the information available and making an informed assessment. Blindly following a single piece of data (which the publishers themselves admit is unreliable) when there are various conflicting sources (all of which are far more reliable) is, to put it politely, naive.

Im curious exactly how I’m putting words in your mouth?
okey buddy.
Even if that 40k is correct. Most of the fans got at least 2 copies XD (diferrent editions, etc)... you can double this number LoL
Yeah the number of sales is going to be higher for sure. No one denied that. The low amount of players reflects the fact that there isn't much interest in the series outside of the main fanbase though, unfortunately. It's a shame because even if shenmue 3 is "for the fans" it can't survive as a franchise on only fan support.

Unfortunately considering the mediocre reviews and the game not looking very nice I'm not surprised it didn't garner much interest outside of the fanbase.

I remember when we warned about this back in 2017 and people were in denial. Seems like not much has changed since then.
You really seem to be enjoying yourself telling us all how bad Shenmue 3 is and how little it’s selling. I can imagine your self-satisfied face when you read another bad article about it. You must think to yourself: “Great! More bad news I can yell from the rooftops that proves Shenmue 3 is shit and anyone who likes it is a deluded fanboy.”

I will yet again question the validity of people like you being real Shenmue fans. How can you be a fan if you seem to be personally enjoying negative news like the game supposedly not selling well with your “I told you so” attitude?

Seems that the logic of wait until official channels comment has gone out the window.

These trophy figures are a snippet, there's no sample methodology around this so it's all guess work.

I'm waiting for official channels to make comment before worrying about it.
Seeing Yu Suzuki speak confidently about things he’d add to the next game is enough for me. SCQ is right: we’re just reading tea leaves if we don’t use the stats available to us. Just hope for the best.

okey buddy.

Yeah the number of sales is going to be higher for sure. No one denied that. The low amount of players reflects the fact that there isn't much interest in the series outside of the main fanbase though, unfortunately. It's a shame because even if shenmue 3 is "for the fans" it can't survive as a franchise on only fan support.

I actually believe could survive as just a heavy fan base series. If Yu Suzuki and company can keep the budget between 6-7 million dollars that makes things alot easier.

They could also give fans incentives to make large donations to the development of the game. Examples: being a capsule toy, being a NPC, pictures, etc.

I also gave a example on if Yu Suzuki and Sega work together and use the Dragon Engine from the Yakuza series. IMO this would help alot.

You really seem to be enjoying yourself telling us all how bad Shenmue 3 is and how little it’s selling. I can imagine your self-satisfied face when you read another bad article about it. You must think to yourself: “Great! More bad news I can yell from the rooftops that proves Shenmue 3 is shit and anyone who likes it is a deluded fanboy.”

I will yet again question the validity of people like you being real Shenmue fans. How can you be a fan if you seem to be personally enjoying negative news like the game supposedly not selling well with your “I told you so” attitude?
You seem to be under the impression I have something to prove to you. I don't particularly care if you think I am not a true shenmue fan and have no interest in proving it to you.
I actually believe could survive as just a heavy fan base series. If Yu Suzuki and company can keep the budget between 6-7 million dollars that makes things alot easier.

They could also give fans incentives to make large donations to the development of the game. Examples: being a capsule toy, being a NPC, pictures, etc.

I also gave a example on if Yu Suzuki and Sega work together and use the Dragon Engine from the Yakuza series. IMO this would help alot.
I'm not sure if that would be possible. Perhaps a new kickstarter would be enough to get a new game but I don't think it would be enough to get a decent one. So I suppose that shenmue as a franchise could exist with only fan support but not as shenmue as we know it.

Unfortunately seeing how well 3 is doing I wouldn't count on SEGA involvement for now.

Shenmue as we know it is Shenmue 3, a game with a low budget and “mediocre reviews.” That would probably continue with a fourth title. Some of us are happy enough with that. The big budget mainstream Shenmue 3 that could somehow sell favorably next to the new Pokémon and Kojima games was never going to happen and it won’t happen next time. Ys Net is clearly incapable of delivering on the hardcore Shenmue Dojo vets’ wildest dreams. Life goes on, SCQ.

I honestly find the idea that a sequel to an unsuccessful 18-year-old game and that’s set in rural China, a setting that was never going to call for much action, would somehow be a big smash success under any circumstance pretty laughable. Thank goodness Yu Suzuki didn’t focus all the team’s efforts on high production values and no gameplay. Maybe some of the “true fans” should try to be more realistic about what Shenmue actually is before condemning the developer for their best efforts.

Last edited:
Shenmue as we know it is Shenmue 3, a game with a low budget and “mediocre reviews.” That would probably continue with a fourth title. Some of us are happy enough with that. The big budget mainstream Shenmue 3 that could somehow sell favorably next to the new Pokémon and Kojima games was never going to happen and it won’t happen next time. Ys Net is clearly incapable of delivering on the hardcore Shenmue Dojo vets’ wildest dreams. Life goes on, SCQ.
Why are you so angry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back