Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just re-watched the first minutes of Shenmue 3 and I didn't notice how funnily dumb the dialogues were. The unnecessary black fades make them even more priceless XD

About the very first scene in the Bailu Village, it's amazing how Suzuki was determined to follow his original idea:
d1fa93ded1b183cbbc205046943602f5_original.jpg
d677d85a51ca108bae953f493218cce5_original.png
Honeyview_The First 22 Minutes of Shenmue 3 4-12 screenshot.jpg

Conveying the idea of paint scenery to the player was very important to him.

It's about writing, a few posts back I made the example that even if it's throwaway lines, they are just boring and add nothing.
Instead of having that vapid exchange you can totally ellipse it, or add some characterization to it, they don't even do that.
Even games known to be very frugal in the narrative department aren't as stiff.

Imagine a pokemon NPC written in the Shenmue way:
X- This is my pikachu.
Y- A pikachu you say ?
X- Yes, it's a pokemon.
Y- Interesting.
X- You can catch them using pokeballs.
Y- Pokeballs ?
X- You can buy them at the market.
Y- So you catch pokemons with pokeballs and pikachu is a pokemon ?
X- Yes.
Y- I see.
This post made my day :D

It's repetition in place of being forced to cover a map in symbols. I get what they're going for. That's the design of Shenmue. You talk to people and they give you 'useful' information, and sometimes you get beaten over the head with it.
Again, I already put it 1000 times, it's about writing chops.
You can put "the lumber mill ?/ yeah, I need to go there/ oh, the lumbermill it's up ahead" or you can put "why the lumber mill, do you need a job ? / aren't you from the city ? that's not a job for someone like you./ Looking for a way to chop your hands off ? I can think many other ways / That is not a place for young people / You know that my father used to work there, I remember visiting him and stealing the sawdust thinking that's what they were making" etc etc (really have a little creativity).
Instead it's all the same, monotone and repetitive way of always delivering the same information.
They tried a little bit, but even then they get repetitive, like 2/5 of the woman hit on Ryo, it's somewhat funny at first, but after a while it also becomes repetitive.
There are a bunch of interesting flavor dialogue in S3 (like the fortuneteller that wants to close shop), but on the whole, it's just bland with bland writing.

It's about writing, a few posts back I made the example that even if it's throwaway lines, they are just boring and add nothing.
Instead of having that vapid exchange you can totally ellipse it, or add some characterization to it, they don't even do that.
Even games known to be very frugal in the narrative department aren't as stiff.

Imagine a pokemon NPC written in the Shenmue way:
X- This is my pikachu.
Y- A pikachu you say ?
X- Yes, it's a pokemon.
Y- Interesting.
X- You can catch them using pokeballs.
Y- Pokeballs ?
X- You can buy them at the market.
Y- So you catch pokemons with pokeballs and pikachu is a pokemon ?
X- Yes.
Y- I see.
Love it! I had many Japanese friends when I lived in Newcastle and that sounds like a conversation some of them might have had with me!

Number 8 on Amazon UK’s ‘movers and shakers’ list.

Difficult to get any idea of how many additional sales we’ve seen since the early numbers available to us, but looking at growth in trophy sites, over the last 10 days, PSN Profiles has shown an increase of 27% (851 users -> 1078 users), True Trophies has shown an increase of 12% (957 users -> 1069 users) and PSN Trophy Leaders has shown an increase of 12% (1900 users -> 2123 users).

We more or less have 100,000 PS4 copies accounted for in the opening week (backer copies, SEs/LEs, Spain and Japan) without factoring in digital, America, most of Europe and most of Asia. With that in mind, 12% growth in 10 days isn’t too bad.

Last edited:
The thing is will Deepsilver count the kickstarted copies in sales, I wonder 🤔

Gamstat has updated showing up to December 8th and is showing 40,000 have played Shenmue 3.
Guess those backers and Japanese buyers that we already know about are still waiting to boot up the game :sneaky:

In all seriousness, each update Gamestat provides further demonstrates how flawed their methodology is. There is absolutely no way their sample size is anywhere close to 7m and their projected growth is nowhere near that clearly demonstrated by other sources. I could get more accurate data from a random number generator.

Again, I already put it 1000 times, it's about writing chops.
You can put "the lumber mill ?/ yeah, I need to go there/ oh, the lumbermill it's up ahead" or you can put "why the lumber mill, do you need a job ? / aren't you from the city ? that's not a job for someone like you./ Looking for a way to chop your hands off ? I can think many other ways / That is not a place for young people / You know that my father used to work there, I remember visiting him and stealing the sawdust thinking that's what they were making" etc etc (really have a little creativity).
Instead it's all the same, monotone and repetitive way of always delivering the same information.
They tried a little bit, but even then they get repetitive, like 2/5 of the woman hit on Ryo, it's somewhat funny at first, but after a while it also becomes repetitive.
There are a bunch of interesting flavor dialogue in S3 (like the fortuneteller that wants to close shop), but on the whole, it's just bland with bland writing.

Thats honestly how Japanese often speak. With very few vocabulary at times. There are exceptions but still. The English dub and script tried its best to flavor it up like you said but you can only do so much.
Even Yakuza series does this with the Atlus localization team (which annoys a small hardcore vocal minority but whatever)

Gamstat has updated showing up to December 8th and is showing 40,000 have played Shenmue 3.
I'm not surprised. Considering how many people double dipped, and deduct pc backers and you don't have that many backers left. Unfortunately considering the mediocre reviews and the game not looking very nice I'm not surprised it didn't garner much interest outside of the fanbase.

I remember when we warned about this back in 2017 and people were in denial. Seems like not much has changed since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back