Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone thought them saying it "sold okay", might just be them saving face. Would they really be honest and say if it sold under expectation as that might damage things even further.

Has anyone thought them saying it "sold okay", might just be them saving face. Would they really be honest and say if it sold under expectation as that might damage things even further.
Yes, it's in their interests to soften poor sales, but there's only so much they can hide. If sales were terrible and it performed below expectations, I don't think they could get away with saying things like it performed "within expectation" and it "sold fine" to investors, because it wouldn't line up with projections, revenue etc.

Yes, it's in their interests to soften poor sales, but there's only so much they can hide. If sales were terrible and it performed below expectations, I don't think they could get away with saying things like it performed "within expectation" and it "sold fine" to investors, because it wouldn't line up with projections, revenue etc.
Exactly. And if you look at the report, they say "Shenmue III was the principal Deep SIlver revenue driver in the quarter". A quarter where their "consolidated net sales" rose 150% to 466.6 SEK, which Google says is equal to $47,153,219.53.

Look at the date of the article.

What data have you actually presented? The CEO said Shenmue III did financially fine. Which means it didn't flop as some are determined to say...my "guesstimates" are to provide a very lowball, conservative number for sales and the revenue that would've given to prove that the sales and revenue were likely much higher since the CEO wouldn't have said all of those positive things to shareholders if that weren't the case.

Again, when? Look at the date of the article. It almost predates the Shenmue I & II announcement, let alone its release date(s).

Haha, subjective. I'm not saying it's up there in the 90s, but you said "it didn't review well, at all" which is blatantly false. There are plenty of incredibly positive reviews out there, and not just from "YS/SEGA fans".

Didn't say that at all, just said it was anecdotal. Meaning, go get some of your data to show how popular this genre is.

I'm going to be honest here from a staff viewpoint. I'm not personally attacked or insulted whatsoever. But from observing your behavior for a while, you tend to come off a lot of the time as very arrogant and smug, which is why I entered the fray in the first place. You may not intend to do so, but that's what it comes across as. I know I've heard concerns of such.

Now you did. But I can go back and look at many times where you driveby post, telling someone they are misguided or flat out wrong, while offering next to nothing to back up your point. Such as you did up above, with the whole "Nah, it won't sell 50k" post because, well, you said so? What backs that up? Again, fully acknowledging you may turn out to be 100% right, but that doesn't give you the power to act as if you're the king and all of your royal subjects are blessed by the "reality" you claim you're so helpfully injecting.

The answer John Clark gives is not "the fans really, REALLY wanted VC PC, so we delivered!" like he basically gave as the reason for Shenmue I & II. He says a list of things including demand, are considered when porting PC titles.

And yet if you readed your own article, you'd read that it was still working for a certain range of games. In the case of Shenmue I-II, the CCU at launch was around 1500 players which lines hype with that range of sales (check on steamdb).

Also, 68-69 isnt reviewing well. And it's not "subjective". That's Metacritic's own scale.
Screenshot_20200328-0603572.png

As a whole, it didn't review well. It didn't review badly either mind you. But as a whole, it received mixed/average reviews.

Also the fact that Valkyria Chronicles is from a popular genre is far from anecdoctical. Nearing 1 million sales and if you heard of the XCom titles, yeah, you'd know that kind of games are fairly popular on PC.

It's like saying "RTS is popular on PC ? That's anecdoctical and prove it anyway !"

As for the personal attacks, its even worse and it's proving my point:
You're not even replying based on the post you're quoting, but you're replying on possibly PREVIOUS posts and what's being said by some members. You're derailling the conversation for that reason. Then again, was I disrespectful in our exchange ? Not really. The only thing I said is that it was tiring. Not the discussion itself mind you, but as I explained, the angonisation of members who have a negative opinion. When I said that, I didn't say "wow, you people are mean" all I meant to say was "listen, I'm not doing that to troll people, to make them feel annoy or to attack them, my point isn't to shit on you" and even with that it ends up on personnal attacks.

Let's be honest here for a second: This isnt about subjective or opinions nor fact. It's about what's being said. Let's be real, would you have come to those lenghts if my post was: "It wont sell 50k, a lot more on the first month, maybe 200k, based on how similar titles have performed on Steam" ?
Of course not. Would we get all those "who cares your opinion is subjective" if some of us were just saying "Shenmue III is one of the greatest game ever made and Yu-sama is untouched when it comes to game design and direction" ?
Not really.

We're discussing a game, do we have to fallback on personnal attacks ?

And no, I'm not acting like the "king of reality". We're having a discussion. And in a discussion, it's not too bad to have some certainty about some elements. Otherwise, I'd just have to write all my posts like "I'm not so sure but maybe it's a possibility that something might be true". And John Clark's answer is that it's basically demand that led to those titles being ported, since VC is one of those titles that also were from a campaign back then.

Expectations are subjective though. I dont think Deep Silver is being misleading or are saving the face.

A game performance isn't either success or failure.

When DS says "Shenmue III did fine financially" it's not incompatible with Shenmue III selling less than 300 or even 200k units. Shenmue III likely turned a profit for them. How much though remains to be seen. And there's also a lot of factors that can come into that: the fact that kickstarter covered a good part of the game dev budget, the epic store deal which covered a likely hefty amount of the sums engaged by DS.

There's also the fact that publishers expectations don't always lies in financial performance but also critical reception, when some products expectations on the market aren't to be about sales but for the product to be some kind of hallmark of quality for the company publishing it.

Remember that Metacritic weights reveiws depending on who submits them. Without that the average rating (rounded to the nearest whole number) is 70.

Remember that Metacritic weights reveiws depending on who submits them. Without that the average rating (rounded to the nearest whole number) is 70.

Right but unfortunately, it is weighted and it seems Opencritic is following that rule soon. In the end result, this is where we end up. We could also make a case of that 3/10 that wasn't removed but it's what it is for now.

On a 10 point scale 5 is average so how is 6.8 a poor score?

Normally, I'd agree but the way video games are usually scored, 50 doesn't represent an average game but rather a poor game. Also, 6.8 isnt a poor score at all. It's not a good one either. It's a rather mixed/fair one.

I think the game deserves a 7, personally. It was very close to achieving that but a string of middling scores -- mostly from European outlets, strangely -- took its toll.

I think my personal score would still sit somewhere between 7.5 and 8, which is right in line with the user reviews on MC.

PC Gamer, The Guardian, Eurogamer, Pushsquare, Gamesradar and even Wired disagree with that.
And those are all major publications, not some bizarre blog people have never heard of before.

Edge, Gamespot, IGN UK, Metro, VG24/7, Game informer and USGamer agrees with that. Those aren't blog or obscure publications.

Sure, if you're only retaining positive reviews it's fine.
And on the opposite, one could only list the negative reviews and say "See, Shenmue III reviewed terribly".
We're looking overall though and overall, it's sitting at 68. This means "Mixed/Average" reception. It didn't review well. It didn't review bad either.

Edge, Gamespot, IGN UK, Metro, VG24/7, Game informer and USGamer agrees with that. Those aren't blog or obscure publications.

Sure, if you're only retaining positive reviews it's fine.
And on the opposite, one could only list the negative reviews and say "See, Shenmue III reviewed terribly".
We're looking overall though and overall, it's sitting at 68. This means "Mixed/Average" reception. It didn't review well. It didn't review bad either.

I was arguing the point you were making though. Which was false.The way you worded it came across specifically that the game "didn't review well, at all", anywhere. When it did.

And let's be honest. Some of those publications you listed didn't like Shenmue to begin with anyway, so they were always going to be a bit biased. The positive reviews even had some reservations against the game, in their defence.

Last edited:
I was arguing the point you were making though. Which was false.The way you worded it came across specifically that the game "didn't review well, at all", anywhere. When it did.

And let's be honest. Some of those publications you listed didn't like Shenmue to begin with anyway, so they were always going to be a bit biased. The positive reviews even had some reservations against the game, in their defence.

It didn't review well, yes. Overall, it's mixed.
Now you can be selective, but as a whole, people see the 68.

Yu himself rates the game at 7/10. He seemed pretty serious when he said that in the rapid fire interview.

Of course some people have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to Shenmue and /or crowdfunded games in general but overall, reviews have been pretty fair to S3.

Being a die-hard fan, I'd also rate S3 at a 7, if I'd subtract my fanboyism, maybe at a 6. I think 6.8/10 is very fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back