Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
You people are talking about sales but there's also something different:
With that publishing initiative, Epic seems to be pursuing studios with a pedigree. And while Yu Suzuki might have renown, neither YsNet nor Shenmue III does. In fact, Shenmue III didn't garner a critical success.

That + low sales means low chance of that happening.

And while Epic doesn't seem to be in search of owning IPs, let's remember that SEGA owns the IP, which means they'd need to pay for that too.
They would indeed need to pay for the IP but considering YSNET have already used it I'm sure they could easily strike a deal around that.

Those 3 studios Epic partnered with are critically acclaimed studios that have a history of excellent games. Seems a bit.... off-key to try to throw YsNet in there.

Yu Suzuki has a history of excellent games.

YSNET, granted, doesn't have the back catalogue of those studios but his name still has a pull in the industry. Otherwise CDProjektRed wouldn't have been so respectful of him.

The Yu Suzuki name and Shenmue still has a weight of respect in the industry which would make it a worthwhile consideration, if nothing more.

Sure, Yu's name is respected, but for what?

Would Epic back him to create new IPs? Or just Shenmue 4? Unless Shenmue 3 did well on Epic and Epic is just choosing to be mum about it, I don't see what Epic would get out of such a partnership.

Ueda, Remedy and PlayDead constantly churn out fantastic new IPs. That's what you get when partnering with them - excellent new properties and excellent games in general. Diversity and creative endeavors.

Yu Suzuki has a history of excellent games.

YSNET, granted, doesn't have the back catalogue of those studios but his name still has a pull in the industry. Otherwise CDProjektRed wouldn't have been so respectful of him.

The Yu Suzuki name and Shenmue still has a weight of respect in the industry which would make it a worthwhile consideration, if nothing more.

Yu Suzuki yes, Shenmue... Not so much anymore. Then again, it's all speculation here, it could happen. I just have troubles to see it happening considering the profile of the studios they've been poaching.

While those aren't known for big commercial success (even though some managed some fairly successful titles) they're still known for their critical success. Both of which Shenmue III is lacking.

Funding the next game "by the makers of Shenmue III" doesn't sound as great as "from the makers of Control, TLG, Inside".
I mean, yes, for us, it still sounds meaningful. But if Shenmue III release taught me anything, is that the Shenmue name has a meaning in a small community. And if anything, III didnt help its case outside, to the bigger market.

Well, it's kind of tough to claim he can't get by on being the creator of an unknown series and then dismiss the fact he's the creator of many known series.

Well, it's kind of tough to claim he can't get by on being the creator of an unknown series and then dismiss the fact he's the creator of many known series.

Don't misunderstand me: I'm not saying Yu Suzuki doesn't have quite a solid legacy. There's no denying he does.

It's just a different kind. One that is mostly talking to SEGA fans or oldies.

And well, Virtua Fighter, Outrun and Daytona are """"known"""" ips. Which means they're still relatively niche in their own genre or old.

Ueda, Remedy and PlayDead constantly churn out fantastic new IPs. That's what you get when partnering with them - excellent new properties and excellent games in general. Diversity and creative endeavors.
I mean, I love Ico, SotC, and Limbo, but I think Yu's work history is a little more impressive than any of those companies'. Especially considering Remedy only has two games to their name, in their almost 15 years of activity, and even if you included all of Ueda's team Ico projects, that's three games in almost 20 years.

Not only those IP aren't what they used to be... We're talking about stuff that is 25 years old. That's how far you have to get back. And yes, compare those games to the profile of the games they seem to look for.
Perhaps you should also compare the budgets? Control cost more than three times as much to develop and market as Shenmue 3 did so from a risk perspective, Shenmue 3 seems a much safer bet.

At this point I expect it’s as much about volume as it as about quality for Epic and am sure there’s a deal to be done. The real question is whether Yu can negotiate a big enough budget to make the Shenmue 4 that he wants to make and unfortunately it’s here that I think there might be a stumbling block.

For Epic, it's about having a solid stable of IPs that have consistent fan bases and draw in those fan bases. I don't think it's out of the question, but we'd have to find out how Shenmue 3 actually sold on EGS. If Yu Suzuki could prove he's able to reliably release games, I think he could draw people in, especially if he could somehow secure more licenses from Sega. An investment in the Shenmue brand is a safer bet than an investment in an unknown Remedy or Ueda game; neither of those developers exactly sets the world on fire when it comes to sales.

Yu Suzuki yes, Shenmue... Not so much anymore. Then again, it's all speculation here, it could happen. I just have troubles to see it happening considering the profile of the studios they've been poaching.

While those aren't known for big commercial success (even though some managed some fairly successful titles) they're still known for their critical success. Both of which Shenmue III is lacking.

Funding the next game "by the makers of Shenmue III" doesn't sound as great as "from the makers of Control, TLG, Inside".
I mean, yes, for us, it still sounds meaningful. But if Shenmue III release taught me anything, is that the Shenmue name has a meaning in a small community. And if anything, III didnt help its case outside, to the bigger market.
Whether those are considered niche or not they still carry significant weight. Hell the creator of Tekken openly says on twitter he loves VF and wants to see it come back.

That's something to bring to the table

Whether those are considered niche or not they still carry significant weight. Hell the creator of Tekken openly says on twitter he loves VF and wants to see it come back.

That's something to bring to the table

The creator of Tekken says a lot of things. As much as I love VF, we know that in the fighting game landscape, as of today, it's not the one being the most represented nor popular.

Not only those IP aren't what they used to be... We're talking about stuff that is 25 years old. That's how far you have to get back. And yes, compare those games to the profile of the games they seem to look for.

Those games laid the foundations for the games that followed though.
Give Yu Suzuki enough money and I'm positive he could do it again.
His name is legendary in the industry, doesn't matter how you try to beat it down (like everything else).

The creator of Tekken says a lot of things. As much as I love VF, we know that in the fighting game landscape, as of today, it's not the one being the most represented nor popular.
vf is not popular today because sega doesnt care about their ip the last vf game was in 2012 and it was just an update of virtua fighter 5 virtua fighter 5 was released in 2006 or 2007 a lot of current player where not born when the last virtua fighter was release it can't be popular today but back then it was popular

I think VF6 would get a lot of hype & attention just because it's been gone for so long. Several big name fighting game guys were hyped for the possible VF6 announcement the other day.
I'm not even into fighters these days (or anything multiplayer-centric, for that matter), but man I would jump right back in for a new VF. One of those rare series where every installment is not just good, but fucking amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back