Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shenmue III being 17th in the UK is a disaster. Its that simple. Lets not forget that the Shenmue remasters got to number 2? I think, albeit also on the Xbox.

No point citing Football Manager also, as this game is practically exclusively digital.

Im very surprised and disappointed it did so poorly here. Though its obvious most of the fans already purchased it via Kickstarter. It is obviously a difficult game to convince people to buy in this day and age sadly.

Shenmue III being 17th in the UK is a disaster. Its that simple. Lets not forget that the Shenmue remasters got to number 2? I think, albeit also on the Xbox.

No point citing Football Manager also, as this game is practically exclusively digital.

Im very surprised and disappointed it did so poorly here. Though its obvious most of the fans already purchased it via Kickstarter. It is obviously a difficult game to convince people to buy in this day and age sadly.
Without stellar reviews, who's going to pay attention to the third game in a series many people haven't heard of? I don't really know what some of you were expecting. I hope worldwide sales are enough to carry us to Shenmue 4.

Without stellar reviews, who's going to pay attention to the third game in a series many people haven't heard of? I don't really know what some of you were expecting. I hope worldwide sales are enough to carry us to Shenmue 4.

Exactly.

I don't think many people were expecting it to be top of the charts. But even with low expectations, 17th in its debut week is terrible.

I looked it up for comparison, Bloodstained also debuted at #17 but jumped twice as much the next week, but I dont think we can really count much on that in this case, simply cause bloodstained just seemed to have more appeal being a new IP and generally had much more positive reviews.

Side note, bloodstained was good as hell and if yall like older style games, that is one in the best of ways.

Its not good but I wouldnt say disaster, disaster would be not making it into the top 20 which some games like yooka laylee and the impossible lair didnt. But yeah I dont think theres any way to spin this in a positive light.

If it charts in the top 20 of the NPD then I think we can assume Shenmue IV will be green lit. I assume Deep Silver is all eyes right now seeing how it fares as to whether they want to get involved with IV again.

I hope this isn't another Control moment. (Control did abysmally that it didn't even rank in the NPD...which is a shame because Control ain't that bad of a game but the marketing was abysmal for it.)

My biggest fear is the amount of "Wait, this is actually out?" comments I was seeing in Maximillian Dood's streams and some other streams. Did the game just pass people by?

It might spike a little when reviews hit...or it might spike during the Black Friday sales once most reviews have assumedly hit by that point. Also, no one releases digital numbers so no idea how it will fare digitally.

Control was an awful game. I had high hopes on it pre-launch but there was so much about that game that was off I'd give it a strong 4/10.

-Unforgiving checkpoints which force you to take about 10-30 minutes of your time to get back to if you die.

-Random difficulty spikes in various parts of the game which make no sense.

-Forgettable storyline. The story in Shenmue III was even better and thats saying something

-Random enemy spawnpoints that will one shot you from behind without knowing what hit you

-Even if you level up your health, it has no effect if you get hit as enemies can still kill you in one or two hits

-Final segment of the game is basically fighting off respawning enemies for about a half hour straight. If you die, you start all over again.

-IIRC the game has no difficulty adjustments for easy, normal, hard

If there was a game that suffered in "outdated" game mechanics its Control. I loved the first couple hours of the game, but by the time I beat it, I absolutely hated it. 4/10

It's disappointing, but i'm not panicking. We don't know how many units were sold, but i'd be willing to bet that if the game came out in August and sold the same number of units, it would reach a much higher position on account of it being a quieter time of year. For all we know, lots of physical units were sold, but still only made #17.

The article says it only sold half of the Shenmue 1/2 remasters

Perhaps not so successful is the release of Shenmue III. The follow-up to the Dreamcast classics comes in at No.17. Only released on PS4, the new release sold a little more than half of last year's Shenmue I and II remaster (PS4 sales only). However, the numbers for this game have been skewed by the fact almost 70,000 gamers backed the title via Kickstarter.

You lot do realise shenmue hd was realised in august with little to no competition. Of course it would sell more

November is where all the heavy hitters come out. I always did think it was a bad decision to release shenmue 3 in November, but its not doom and gloom. It came in behind all the other big games and there's a ton of other variables that can skew that number massively.

Lets wait and see.

The simple fact of the matter is that Shenmue 3 was never going to sell well, I said this from the beginning. I don't know what people's expectations were, but from what I am seeing, some fans expected it to chart well. It was never going to happen, this series is far too niche. If it wasn't sandwiched between a bunch of highly anticipated games, then it MAY have done a little bit better, but I don't think it would have made that much of a difference. You also need to factor in that most people that are interested in Shenmue 3 already got the game through the Kickstarter.

My above comments don't mean it's a complete disaster and doesn't mean Shenmue 4 won't happen either. It all comes down to interest. If the interest is there, then Shenmue 4 has a great chance of being made. Publishers will factor in more than just sales of the 3rd game, they will be looking at the overall interest in the series. The Kickstarter raising as much money as it did is a bonus, and there is also the fanbase too, which they know they can guarantee sales from.

People need to calm down. Whose to say that lifetime sales won't get us to that magical Shenmue 4?

AAA titles tend to blow their load early before shifting off and every Tom, Dick and Harry buys COD or Fifa.

AA titles tend to have a longer sales expectancy, and with the added DLC merch etc that's more money in the pot.

Yu Suzuki has said himself he's not giving up and quite frankly neither should we.

The UK and JP charting suck imo. If we aren't able to get an S4 out of all this, then that's a real shame. But it is what it is and we had a good run, got S3 the impossible game in the end, etc.

THAT said, we know 81k sales were already sucked up by the kickstarter and slacker-backer several years ago, so that was always going to work against the launch. Not that I'm super optimistic, but ultimately I'm mostly interested in hearing something concrete from DS/Ys Net/Cedric in a couple months.

Yu Suzuki has said himself he's not giving up and quite frankly neither should we.
Probably the most important take-away, though. I feel like we'd be letting Yu down if we got TOO doom and gloom.

I think yes but not the pc version, at least in hong kong the epic games store isnt there for im sure very shitty reasons
I don't know about Hong Kong specifically, but it's not being distributed by Epic in the mainland either. It's getting a PC release on Tencent's WeGame.

I still think there was room to do much better.

The game has exotic setting, features martial arts and training, storytelling, gentle pace.

It had everything to catch the eye of the customer looking for a nice adventure game.

If Greedfall can reach the top 5, Shenmue III should have been able to enter the top 10 at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back