Shenmue 4 discussion

Well in terms of fighting and general systems, the ground work has been laid. I mean sure, new environments would have to be crafted. But in terms of animations and general assests...a lot of it is in place. I mean, Shenmue 1 and 2 reused a lot of the same assets.

Yes, I’m not doubting that. I am relatively certain they can iterate and build on a lot of systems that are in place in Shenmue 3.

My point about Unreal Engine 4 and next-generation consoles isn’t that it won’t be compatible, rather to keep up with visual arms race, what would be required to ensure it looks suitably next-generation? As they would go against keeping budget costs down but hopefully with a lot of UE4 engines presets not blow budget.

I think Shenmue 3 will wrap up the Lan Di arc with 4, 5 and 6 being focused on the big-bad. That’s just my gut though.

I honestly don’t know how Ryo could be strong enough to beat Lan Di this soon but I have to believe Yu Suzuki knows 3 could be the last game. I don’t think it will be, but defeating Lan Di has been the premise of the whole series up until now. So Yu has got to know he needs to, at the very least, wrap that part up. And apparently that would only be six of the 11 chapters. That would leave five more to devote to the big-bad.

Likely defeat Niao Sun and Lan Di in Shenmue 3 and pursue the other two and the big bad(or however many Chiyoumen are left) in the second half of the series.

If Ryo beats Lan Di in S3 this would mess up the series. I'm okay with him fighting Lan Di but beating him NO WAY!!! Ryo hasn't done anything good enough to suggest he is on Lan Di level.

If Ryo beats Lan Di in S3 this would mess up the series. I'm okay with him fighting Lan Di but beating him NO WAY!!! Ryo hasn't done anything good enough to suggest he is on Lan Di level.

It could wrap up the Lan Di arc without Ryo beating Lan Di - there are multiple ways of resolving conflicts.

It always astounds me how many people assume or want the Shenmue saga to end with Ryo killing Lan Di.

Same. I always thought the game was hinting on Ryo being careless and that he SHOULDN'T be blinded by revenge. Hm.

I think that if they want to make Shenmue 4-5 they have to keep the end of Shenmue 3 open to eager the new fans and make them buy the futures games. Just look at us, with the end of Shenmue 2 we were ready to do the impossible to continue the saga! ?

I think that if they want to make Shenmue 4-5 they have to keep the end of Shenmue 3 open to eager the new fans and make them buy the futures games. Just look at us, with the end of Shenmue 2 we were ready to do the impossible to continue the saga! ?

Ready to do the impossible again!

#SaveShenmue4

I used to want Lan Di to die but then Yu Suzuki
started dropping hints that Ryo’s goals may change. It made me realize he is more than a one dimensional villain even though we haven’t seen much of him.
Seems to me that Lan Di is almost supposed to serve as a look into a possible bad future Ryo. Lan Di went after Iwao for the same reason Ryo is going after Lan Di well, that and the mirror, but still. At some point, I think Ryo will see himself in Lan Di for this very reason, and it'll cause him to really reflect on his actions and goals.

Of course, it's very possible Iwao did not actually kill Lan Di's father, but the point is Lan Di thinks he did WHAT IF IWAO IS MERELY PRETENDING TO BE DEAD AND RYO IS UNDERGOING THE SAME MISUNDERSTANDING

Seems to me that Lan Di is almost supposed to serve as a look into a possible bad future Ryo. Lan Di went after Iwao for the same reason Ryo is going after Lan Di well, that and the mirror, but still. At some point, I think Ryo will see himself in Lan Di for this very reason, and it'll cause him to really reflect on his actions and goals.

Of course, it's very possible Iwao did not actually kill Lan Di's father, but the point is Lan Di thinks he did WHAT IF IWAO IS MERELY PRETENDING TO BE DEAD AND RYO IS UNDERGOING THE SAME MISUNDERSTANDING

What if somewhere down the line Lan Di figures out that Iwao didn't kill his father, maybe this causes him to switch sides?

Yeah that whole story of Ryo forgiving Lan Di for what he did and giving up on the idea makes no sense to me. As for many of us here, a lot of life events has happened between Shenmue II up to now as we were teenagers ourselves and now some of us are parents. But one thing that remained the same then and now is if someone were to murder my mother or father in front of me, I'd have no other choice but to get revenge and make the killer pay for their actions. I feel stronger about that now than I did back then.

I still think it's kind of crazy that Ryo's journey so far is basically summarized in one phrase "Get over it".

Something hit me today... Will Yu Suzuki keep the Shenmue licence after 3 or will he have to fight for it again? :hmm:

I don't see why not. There's really no benefit to Sega holding on to a license they're doing nothing with. They must be getting a royalty for Shenmue III.

I don't see why not. There's really no benefit to Sega holding on to a license they're doing nothing with. They must be getting a royalty for Shenmue III.

My hope is that SEGA and Suzuki re-unite for Shenmue IV. That would be so sweet. SEGA must see the potential by now after seeing the KS results...

Back