Shenmue Anime: First Trailer

Seems like everyone is pretty happy with this, so hopefully I won't be throwing a wet blanket over it at all. I just wanted to put this out there in case anyone happened to be like me, and not all that into the style of the trailer:

I was noticing the possibility of a trend between this and the first trailer for Blade Runner: Black Lotus.

A lot of Blade Runner fans were not too happy with this one because it didn't really capture the feel of Blade Runner (which is kind of weird, considering the writer/director for Blade Runner: Black Out 2022, Watanabe Shinichirou, is the creative producer, and one of the co-directors is Kamiyama Kenji, director of GitS: SAC).

Well, they just released a second trailer today, and in my opinion, at least, it has more of a Blade Runner feel to it than the first. (Plus Com Truise BGM!)

Never underestimate the power of editing.

At any rate, I was just stopping by to say that I think this may be a trailer meant to highlight more of the action, in order to sell to a 'broader audience,' than may be really representative of the final product.

Also, I'm pretty nearly positive that it's the same Japanese voice actress as Shenmue III for Shenhua, based on the trailer. I'm sort of expecting a lot of reuse of voice talent from Shenmue III for this.

Last edited:
Damn I am truly impressed. With anime, its much easier to develop characters and throw in lots of detailed flashbacks that add to the Shenmue lore. I am so excited and may I say curious if we may see any elaboration on the Chi You Men structure….

I saw Nozomi on the back of his motorcycle when freeze framing....I think she's wearing a school uniform. Not her usual White Shirt and Skirt.

I hope we see some iconic moves or we see Ryo learning moves from people. He at least needs to learn the Shadow Step from the old homeless man, or the spin kick from Tom...that is if Tom makes the cut.

Actually, that brings up a question...do you think Tom will make the cut? I mean, I could see them wanting to avoid him for any fear of "racist" callouts.

I saw Nozomi on the back of his motorcycle when freeze framing....I think she's wearing a school uniform. Not her usual White Shirt and Skirt.

I hope we see some iconic moves or we see Ryo learning moves from people. He at least needs to learn the Shadow Step from the old homeless man, or the spin kick from Tom...that is if Tom makes the cut.

Actually, that brings up a question...do you think Tom will make the cut? I mean, I could see them wanting to avoid him for any fear of "racist" callouts.

In the motorcyle scene we can see that is not in the night time, is day time, so i feel that this is a scene that is not in the game, maybe they will expand the Ryo and Nozomi story, i hope we can see that. I hope we can see Ryo learning the moves as well.

Tom is one of my favorite characters in Shenmue so i really don't understand why when someone say this is racist, this is not racist to me. If Tom don't appear in the anime it would be really sad but i feel that he will appear.

I love the characters Tom and Honey-san, i love Mark as well. I really hope we can see more about Mark's story with his brother, they can expand this part of the story as well.

I am much more into this than I thought I'd be; the presentation is very crisp. I'm glad to see it's bringing in potential new fans. Not getting ahead of myself, this makes me a little more confident about a potential S4.

To your point on Tom, @danielmann861: I'd suspect he'll be included, but maybe they'll tone him down from the game's English dub for the anime. In fact, I'd almost prefer he sound closer to the Japanese original: energetic, but not as eccentric/quirky.

I am much more into this than I thought I'd be; the presentation is very crisp. I'm glad to see it's bringing in potential new fans. Not getting ahead of myself, this makes me a little more confident about a potential S4.

To your point on Tom, @danielmann861: I'd suspect he'll be included, but maybe they'll tone him down from the game's English dub for the anime. In fact, I'd almost prefer he sound closer to the Japanese original: energetic, but not as eccentric/quirky.
I'd agree with that...I mean I know what they were trying to do with the English dub in bringing over that broken Japanese feel, but I do much prefer Japanese Tom, too.

Is that Shenhua's voice from III? Sounds like her. Imo they should recast Ryo for the adaptation, I appreciate the consistency of keeping Corey Marshall in the games, and his voice does suit Ryo in the games, wandering about and finding the next step in the notepad, but honestly he doesn't sound like a teenager.

Is that Shenhua's voice from III? Sounds like her. Imo they should recast Ryo for the adaptation, I appreciate the consistency of keeping Corey Marshall in the games, and his voice does suit Ryo in the games, wandering about and finding the next step in the notepad, but honestly he doesn't sound like a teenager.

I thought it was at first Brianna, but everyone seems to think it isn't. I don't know...whoever it is, she sounds like a good fit to me.

Now i'm really wondering about Tom... if he will appear in the anime but i think he will.

They can even expand the friendship between Ryo and Tom in the anime. I really hope we can see this scene in the anime, Tom teaching the Tornado kick and the goodbye scene is really emotional to me.

shenmue-tom.gif

1st impressions are very important with trailers. Seems the Shenmue Anime trailer has positive vibes all around. Compare that to the mixed emotions around the Resident Evil film trailer that also came out today (not impressed).

I'm most excited for story bits that didn't make it into the games.

Great week for gaming related news. Sora is in Smash and the Shenmue Anime trailer!

Back