Shenmue Anime: First Trailer

topbg_pc.jpg

At first glance I thought this was the roof of the Yellow Head Building, but now I think this is Yokosuka.

I've yet to post my thoughts here, but I was on the stream last night (My Twitch username is different to mine name here though. I was Anesthetize).

Tonally, this is exactly what I wanted them to do. They literally nailed exactly what I wanted from a Shenmue animation and then some. The mood, the animation, the art style, both the English and Japanese Shenhua's (sounds like Brianna and the Japanese Shenhua from S3 to me!) are all perfect.
I'm pretty sure it's Brianna (on stream I wasn't) but we shall see I'd imagine a cast reveal is coming soon.

Thanks for dropping in btw and the same goes to everyone else who joined James and I last night.

I'm pretty sure it's Brianna (on stream I wasn't) but we shall see I'd imagine a cast reveal is coming soon.

Thanks for dropping in btw and the same goes to everyone else who joined James and I last night.
It was a great experience! I can't believe I stayed up that late on a work night and then my son woke me up at 6:15am... ah well, worth it for Shenmue. The trailer blew me away! Hope you manage to get a refund for paying for the eTickets you didn't need.

It sounds like Brianna to me, but like she's doing the voice slightly differently. It's weird. I've watched a few animes with her in and it does sound like her, but it doesn't necessarily sound like her Shenhua voice to me, if that makes any kind of sense lol.

It was a great experience! I can't believe I stayed up that late on a work night and then my son woke me up at 6:15am... ah well, worth it for Shenmue. The trailer blew me away! Hope you manage to get a refund for paying for the eTickets you didn't need.

It sounds like Brianna to me, but like she's doing the voice slightly differently. It's weird. I've watched a few animes with her in and it does sound like her, but it doesn't necessarily sound like her Shenhua voice to me, if that makes any kind of sense lol.
That's why I thought it wasn't her but the more I watch it the more I'm sure it is her. Tempted to ask haha.

As for the money it is what it is, I'd paid for it for Shenmue so it's all good.

Wow as others have stated what a absolutely wonderful trailer. I'm very happy we got the martial arts tournament and Ryo seems to get his iconic white bandaid at a different time. The cave rope lighting scene is in the trailer which is extremely intriguing. The Nozomi motorcycle ride seems to take place during the day which is very interesting because it could be a whole different scene but that's doubtful. I hope they get a great voice actor for her unlike the horrendous one in III.

The Chai fight takes place in the dojo now also the prophecy retelling is different. I can't wait for this anime to come out and when I have the time pouring over every single frame in this. Guys the future for the franchise seems so bright. I can't wait!

From someone who was so dissapointed with the third game this has regenerated my interest in the series again. Can't wait to see it, looks very promising.

As some one who is part jamaican, i have never once thought anything bad of the tom, nor has the rest of my jamaican family and friends. We all love him and think hes hilarious.

Screw the 2021 babies who want to make a big deal out of nothing. None of them are even jamaican. I dont need them to be offended on my behalf when me, myself and the rest of my jamaican brothers and sisters dont even give it a second thought.

Everytime Tom appears i feel so happy and i smile in a innocent way. Tom is one of my favorite characters, nice to see your thoughts about this.

😍
1633696410420.png

I love every moment of this trailer, the trailer showed more about the intense/battle moments of Shenmue, i'm not worried because i think the anime will have slice of life/calm moments as well, i think it will be a good mix of action and calm moments, i hope so, seeing Ryo fighting in this trailer was awesome, the battle scenes are amazing.

I think the anime will bring so many new fans to the community, beautiful.

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOO SHENMUE ANIME

LETS GET SHENMUE IV, LETSUUUU GOOOOOO SHENMUE IV 😁

200.gif

Eye patch wolf has done more damage to the franchise than any other individual. I got no time for him. But yeah, im with @Down by Law , it would be hilarious if they made a mad angel dude with an eye patch called wolf and ryo beat the living hell out of him. I know thats beneath suzuki, but i would do it...... Lol

Last edited:
In the motorcyle scene we can see that is not in the night time, is day time, so i feel that this is a scene that is not in the game, maybe they will expand the Ryo and Nozomi story, i hope we can see that. I hope we can see Ryo learning the moves as well.

Tom is one of my favorite characters in Shenmue so i really don't understand why when someone say this is racist, this is not racist to me. If Tom don't appear in the anime it would be really sad but i feel that he will appear.
I saw Nozomi on the back of his motorcycle when freeze framing....I think she's wearing a school uniform. Not her usual White Shirt and Skirt.

I hope we see some iconic moves or we see Ryo learning moves from people. He at least needs to learn the Shadow Step from the old homeless man, or the spin kick from Tom...that is if Tom makes the cut.

Actually, that brings up a question...do you think Tom will make the cut? I mean, I could see them wanting to avoid him for any fear of "racist" callouts.

Looks to me that it is:

1. Early morning (which is when she's rescued, so the sun is coming up)
2. She's wearing a jacket over her usual outfit (which may be slightly-different).

That's my POV

In defense of EyePatch Wolf, I'm pretty sure he liked the first 2 games from what I saw of his first Shenmue video and I understand completely his problems with III, some I even agree with like the fighting and food mechanics. He doesn't despise the series he just wishes Shenmue III could've shown the potential it had.

Eh I have no love for EyePatchWolf...I mean I get it. SIII was flawed...but that video was full of half truths and was designed simply to get clicks and views. So sorry, no love for the guy. He may like S1 and S2 but nope, you can't convince me otherwise that the video in question was mostly hyperbole to simply get clicks.

Looks to me that it is:

1. Early morning (which is when she's rescued, so the sun is coming up)
2. She's wearing a jacket over her usual outfit (which may be slightly-different).

That's my POV

Maybe this scene will be bigger in the anime so they added more things, it would be nice if we saw Ryo talking more with Nozomi after that. With the anime they can add so many things to the Shenmue story, after i saw this trailer i really think they are doing that, really looks like Yu Suzuki had the opportunity to put some things in the anime that he had to cut out of the games.

In defense of EyePatch Wolf, I'm pretty sure he liked the first 2 games from what I saw of his first Shenmue video and I understand completely his problems with III, some I even agree with like the fighting and food mechanics. He doesn't despise the series he just wishes Shenmue III could've shown the potential it had.

People can dislike Shenmue III all they want but what he did was a clickbait title with misinformation in the video, Ryo learned 2 moves in Shenmue III, is not the same move, even the kanji are different, but yeah... i don't want to get into this subject that much, i prefer to talk about the anime. ❤️

Eh I have no love for EyePatchWolf...I mean I get it. SIII was flawed...but that video was full of half truths and was designed simply to get clicks and views. So sorry, no love for the guy. He may like S1 and S2 but nope, you can't convince me otherwise that the video in question was mostly hyperbole to simply get clicks.
If he cared about the franchise he'd have never have made that video, simple as that.

Back