Shenmue HD reviews and discussion

Whilst I share all your opinions regarding Jim Sterling's edgy video, I'd ask that you all tone it down a bit. Calling the guy names (including 'a cunt') and the like is going too far. Thanks.
Yeah, sometimes people get way to angry over video games, it's like when you beat someone on FIFA and they message you this kind of rage...

I think Jim changed a lot when he shifted from a steady paying job at Destructoid/The Escapist where viewership didn't matter (or rather mattered a hell of a lot less) to crowd funding where he relies on income from his Patreon (that is going to fluctuate based on how many fans and therefore Patreons he has) and YouTube monetisation, which is the real kicker, as his attention-grabbing near-clickbait videos do boost his income, so with this and BoTW he is almost definitely doing this on purpose. When he didn't have a fluctuating income he did seem far calmer and more measured, and whilst I enjoy some of his content it's hyperbole to the ultimate extreme constantly because it does result in a upturn of his income when he does so.

That and everything is subjective. The memories I have of Shenmue 1 was that I loved its "real world simulator" element because in tandem with the atmosphere, ambience and absorbing music it was quite possibly one of the most transfixing games I have ever played. You need the free time in the game because that's when you experience its most touching and affecting moments, like on a night street at dusk, where everything clicks, the music kicks in and it's just wonderful. He also doesn't touch upon Shenmue II at all, which as we know is a high-octane, full throttle Kung-Fu epic by comparison, where in the heat of the game the action next stops until the final disk with Shenhua, which by the looks of it he didn't even attempt to play.

So not only is he intentionally doing this for money but he's missing the beauty of Shenmue 1 entirely.

I think he changed a lot when he shifted from a steady paying job at Destructoid/The Escapist where viewership didn't matter (or rather mattered a hell of a lot less) to crowd funding where he relies on income from his Patreon (that is going to fluctuate based on how many fans and therefore Patreons he has) and YouTube monetisation, which is the real kicker, as his attention-grabbing near-clickbait videos do boost his income, so with this and BoTW he is almost definitely doing this on purpose. When he didn't have a fluctuating income he did seem far calmer and more measured, and whilst I enjoy some of his content it's hyperbole to the ultimate extreme constantly because it does result in a upturn of his income when he does so.

That and everything is subjective. The memories I have of Shenmue was that I loved it's "real world simulator" element because in tandem with the atmosphere, ambience and absorbing music it was quite possibly one of the most transfixing games I have ever played. You need the free time in the game because that's when you experience it's most touching moments, like on a night street at dusk, where everything clicks, the music kicks in and it's just wonderful. He also doesn't touch upon Shenmue II at all, which as we know is a high-octane, full throttle Kung-Fu epic by comparison, where in the heat of the game the action next stops until the final disk with Shenhua, which by the looks of it he didn't even play.

So not only is he intentionally doing this for money but he's missing the beauty of Shenmue 1 entirely.

His videos aren't monetised. And he didn't trash BoTW.

Oh right. I guess I'm going on old information then because they definitely were monetised a while back, perhaps a long time ago? Even without the monetisation his hyperbolic, extreme persona does influence his Patreon support base, as in more attention and headlines does garner him a greater overall income, so my point still stands. As for BoTW he is the single 7/10 outlier in a mass of overwhelmingly glowing reviews, most of which were 10/10 from far more reputable outlets than him. That 7/10 was intentional to drive traffic to his Jimquisition site, and then naturally from there on to his Patreon. It's near definite he did that on purpose (not the text of the review, from what I read he had quite the level-headed opinion, inverse to the score - I mean lowering the score intentionally by at least a point because he knew that would net him more attention).

As I said, he never did this in his early days at Destructoid. It's a new thing when he went to Patreon.

He didn't trash BotW, but he certainly exaggerated it's flaws. I agree'd with most of what he said, but not to the degree in which he chastised it. I also dislike the weapons breaking, but he acted like it ruined the whole game. He just knew that going against the grain and picking the game apart would mean clicks for him, so that's what he did...

I think all the "He's just contrarian to get clicks!" talk is rubbish. Is it that hard to believe his opinion is just different from yours?

PS: A 7/10 is a good score and it's not his fault that the rest of the game reviewing industry works on an 8 to 10 scale.

Oh right. I guess I'm going on old information then because they definitely were monetised a while back, perhaps a long time ago? Even without the monetisation his hyperbolic, extreme persona does influence his Patreon support base, as in more attention and headlines does garner him a greater overall income, so my point still stands. As for BoTW he is the single 7/10 outlier in a mass of overwhelmingly glowing reviews, most of which were 10/10 from far more reputable outlets than him. That 7/10 was intentional to drive traffic to his Jimquisition site, and then naturally from there on to his Patreon. It's near definite he did that on purpose (not the text of the review, from what I read he had quite the level-headed opinion, inverse to the score - I mean lowering the score intentionally by at least a point because he knew that would net him more attention).

As I said, he never did this in his early days at Destructoid. It's a new thing when he went to Patreon.

Oh, the humanity of giving a game less than 10/10. I played BotW and if I reviewed it, I would have given it a 6/10. It's okay. A bit over mediocrity. I guess that makes me an attention whore of the highest order. No other explanation could possibly exist. Get a grip.

I think all the "He's just contrarian to get clicks!" talk is rubbish. Is it that hard to believe his opinion is just different from yours?
It has nothing to do with our opinion. It's his track record of blatantly going against the grain even when it makes very little sense to do so...

"Forklift Boy And His Rubbish Game" it's a childish, bottom-of-the-barrel clickbait inflammatory title that aims to spark nothing but trash tabloid-tier controversy and drama, and that alone makes his "review" impossible to be taken as serious or quality "journalism".
I don't think it's hard to understand that.
No one cares about some dude just not liking the game or making a negative review about it.

"Forklift Boy And His Rubbish Game" it's a childish, bottom-of-the-barrel clickbait inflammatory title that aims to spark nothing but trash tabloid-tier controversy and drama, and that alone makes his "review" impossible to be taken as serious or quality "journalism".
I don't think it's hard to understand that.
No one cares about some dude just not liking the game or making a negative review about it.

You keep saying review. It's not a review.

Can we not make this a thread about Jim fucking Sterling? He doesn't deserve the attention of even posting his video, let alone a three-page discussion over his motives.
I'm really hoping yatzee (zero punctuation) does a review.
I have a similar taste in games and he also comes from playing/developing adventure games, his points might be nitpicky but always on point, understanding of narrative/design.

What, the problem is that the title came from someone with a sense of humour?
More like the humor of a 12 years old kid shitposting on Gamefaqs. It surely doesn't make you look like someone that is actually trying to argue in good faith. So please stop pretending you don't understand a basic concept like this.

More like the humor of a 12 years old kid shitposting on Gamefaqs. It surely doesn't make you look like someone that is actually trying to argue in good faith. So please stop pretending you don't understand a basic concept like this.

Oh god, someone's trying to be a lighthearted. Quick, disregard everything he says!

Back