Shenmue I Re-Release 16:9 Cutscenes Fix

Wow this is fantastic! Great job on finding this already. This also fixes issues with 21:9:

Replace: 39 8E E3 3F
With: 8E E3 18 40

The UI will be slightly stretched but subtitles won;t be cut off and you won;t see odd black bars or duplicate/cut off UI elements.

The cut-scenes are still 16:9 as I'm unsure which hex code to use which would solve the issue with 21:9 borders. How did you come about with the hex code 6C C1 16 40 ?

If you whant cutscenes in 21:9 replace it with 398E6340

1cLRuxW.jpg

mwNlzxs.jpg

YipjaQG.jpg

cdPqFMx.jpg

Xk06ROn.jpg

this also fixes the issue on 21:9 monitors where the GUI is invisible and at the main screen the video is repeated.

It was unplayable on 21:9 without a hex edit

My hero! Quick question, how did you come to get that value? If it is rather complicated then you can spare me the details I'm just unsure how you manage to figure the hex values out.

Thanks again for all your hard work!

Just tested it now. It works a treat but the UI stretches quite a bit more. Will be great once a UI fix is found :)

I wonder if once all this is discovered and implemented if D3T would take your findings and implement them into the console versions?

I don't think so, the 4:3 cutscenes are done in purpose If they wanted they could allow us to play them in widescreen and beyond.

There is a function that triggers during cutscenes and activates the ingame 4:3 during cutscenesit is not something deliberated

That function can be noped via Cheat engine though and someone will figure out how to patch it into the exe.

Well damn. While i absolutely love the majority of the work d3t have done and give them massive amounts of credit for taking up the task of releasing these games on modern consoles, Esspiral's findings are very eye opening. Why don't they just give us the option for wide screen? Makes no sense if you ask me.

It kind of goes back to the lack of PS4 Pro or Xbox One X support. That is seemingly a very easy thing to implement since PC obviously has 4K capabilities for Shenmue from the jump. I was lambasted for accusing of laziness on that one, but here we are on this and I have to say..

If this widescreen adjustment was as simple to do for you in less than 24 hours of launch, I am beginning to question some effort on their part.

I was always skeptical, considering James/Adam's "explanation" for it really didnt make a lot of sense.

Last edited:
Purely speculation, but seeing how easy this is to pull off by the actual end user, it suggests to me that the decision to keep 4:3 cutscenes wasn't a technical decision but instead a weird corporate one.

I mean, if it's so easy to do and causes so few issues then why wouldn't they have just pulled the trigger and made it a full 16:9 experience? I reckon that somewhere along the line, a decision was made by higher-ups at SEGA that the cutscenes are to remain completely unaltered. d3t probably had to adhere to this decision despite being easily able to pull it off and I bet it's the same reason why the Shenmue II cutscenes aren't zoomed in. Corporations make weird and seemly senseless decisions all the time, so I genuinly wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.

Last edited:
I've made an easy solution for those who don't want to work with hex editors:
Just a suggestion, but it might be easier for end users if you distribute mods like this for a mod loader instead. I have never used it yet, but the author of the Sonic Mania mod loader recommended this generic one to me, as it easily supports multiple games:
https://github.com/sewer56lol/Reloaded-Mod-Loader

I can have a go at porting this patch over to it as an example if you like the idea and can't / don't want to figure it out.

I mean, if it's so easy to do and causes so few issues then why wouldn't they have just pulled the trigger and made it a full 16:9 experience?
I'm not trying to start an argument here, but when we were making this argument before release everyone just got angry about it. I know I pointed out on multiple occasions that the projection matrix on the Dreamcast version is shared between gameplay and cutscenes so they'd have to intentionally do more work to force only cutscenes into 4x3. It's just disappointing that things had to happen this way for certain people to change their opinion.

Last edited:
Since the camera issue in cutscenes (where the camera gets stuck looking at the ground) seems to be linked to the game swapping between 16:9 and 4:3, I wonder if this change to keep everything 16:9 all the time might resolve that issue too! That would be something interesting for people to try

EDIT. This patch only works with the version 1.0 of the game, new patch incoming.

Different approach.

This is a Cheat engine table, it has 2 values 1 for Shenmue and the other for Shenmue 2, just find what addresses are writing to that value nope every every instance and set it to 0.

This will force the game to render as wide as you want ( or you monitor allows) since it won't trigger the forced 4:3, oh and yes no streched HUD with this hack.
I don't know why I does not allow me to attach the file.

Here it is a MEGA link.

https://mega.nz/#!kZxWGSBb!vL2-IiJu67XZKr-NJQgdyNRY6iNJjaBHx6-ILnY5LMM

Last edited:
Different approach.

This is a Cheat engine table, it has 2 values 1 for Shenmue and the other for Shenmue 2, just find what addresses are writing to that value nope every every instance and set it to 0.

This will force the game to render as wide as you want ( or you monitor allows) since it won't trigger the forced 4:3, oh and yes no streched HUD with this hack.
I don't know why I does not allow me to attach the file.

Here it is a MEGA link.

https://mega.nz/#!kZxWGSBb!vL2-IiJu67XZKr-NJQgdyNRY6iNJjaBHx6-ILnY5LMM
Can you give us a more detailed tutorial, I cannot get this to work, sorry, I've never used cheat engine before

Last edited:
So this does not work with the 1.01 beta patch, right?

Back