Shenmue I Re-Release 16:9 Cutscenes Fix

Great, thanks.
It does work the same on my end, seeing it was already patched and all.
I'm going to go with my theory that some resource alters the value that I check for on the loading screen and so I'll update my game later on and see if that's the case. Whatever the result, I'll report back later and possibly update the patch with what I think is just 2 bytes of difference in the cmp esi,0x1FA instruction.

Last edited:
Great, thanks.
It does work the same on my end, seeing it was already patched and all.
I'm going to go with my theory that some resource alters the value that I check for on the loading screen and so I'll update my game later on and see if that's the case. Whatever the result, I'll report back later and possibly update the patch with what I think is just 2 bytes of difference in the cmp esi,0x1FA instruction.
@JustAGuy, thanks for the feedback!
You were right, the patch for subtitle positioning wasn't going to work 100% for properly updated games because I was only updating the executable and not the resources altogether. I was also right about my theory of me debugging a non-updated version of the game; surely enough only the cmp esi,0x1FA instruction was off, and it was off by (less than) one byte... meaning that it should be cmp esi,0x1FB, lmao!

Since I didn't want to go to the trouble of figuring out how to roll back to previous updates, I just guessed the values based on simple arithmetic, which may be plain wrong, but at least the latest (v3.00) should work just fine. It did for me, can I have some corroboration?

As always, the latest patch can be found linked in this post: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?posts/10013/

Enjoy, people!

Last edited:
Thanks! Now it works. Unfortunately it seems that this affects the health bars in combat, they too have been positioned to the bottom:
Screenshot (380).png

Edit: Also you can download older versions of the game through steam itself, it's a bit complicated for me to explain it here, but you can find tons of guides on how to do it somewhere online.

Thanks! Now it works. Unfortunately it seems that this affects the health bars in combat, they too have been positioned to the bottom:
View attachment 1276

Edit: Also you can download older versions of the game through steam itself, it's a bit complicated for me to explain it here, but you can find tons of guides on how to do it somewhere online.
Eff me, I can't deal with this Scheiße... we'll have to make do as is.
It's a shame that this game uses the same position for a lot of different stuff, by the way that would have happened regardless of the check for the loading screen. 1 pixel would have been enough for this to work flawlessly. Unfortunately I can't keep an eye on everything under the sun, we just have to choose our battles...

P.S: I've read about rolling back the updates, but the weird depot naming scheme has put me off, eff it, thanks anyway.

Thanks, @JustAGuy!

Incredible work so far ner0! Thanks for all of your contributions.

View attachment 1276

Surprisingly, I was able to shorten the existing code and add another check to the routine which solves this issue with the positioning of health bar(s). Fingers crossed for no more glitches!

As always, the latest patch can be found linked in this post: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?posts/10013/

Code:
00007FF6DFA389DE  | jmp 0x7FF6DFC79731               ->|--|
00007FF6DFA389E3  | mov dword ptr ss:[rbp+0x4C],eax  <-|--|-------|
                                                       |  |       |
00007FF6DFC79731  | cmp eax,0x44430000               <-|--|       |
00007FF6DFC79736  | je 0x7FF6DFCC670A                ->|----|     |
00007FF6DFC7973C  | mov rdi,qword ptr ss:[rsp+0x60]  <-|----|--|  |
00007FF6DFC79741  | jmp 0x7FF6DFA389E3               ->|----|--|--|
                                                       |    |  |
00007FF6DFCC670A  | cmp si,0x1FB                     <-|----|  |
00007FF6DFCC670F  | je 0x7FF6DFC7973C                ->|-------|
00007FF6DFCC6715  | jmp 0x7FF6DFCC681A               ->|--|    |
00007FF6DFCC671A  | int3                               |  |    |
00007FF6DFCC671B  | int3                               |  |    |
00007FF6DFCC671C  | int3                               |  |    |
00007FF6DFCC671D  | int3                               |  |    |
00007FF6DFCC671E  | int3                               |  |    |
00007FF6DFCC671F  | int3                               |  |    |
                                                       |  |    |
00007FF6DFCC681A  | cmp si,0x196                     <-|--|    |
00007FF6DFCC681F  | jle 0x7FF6DFC7973C               ->|-------|
00007FF6DFCC6825  | mov eax,0x44638000                 |       |
00007FF6DFCC683A  | jmp 0x7FF6DFC7973C               ->|-------|
00007FF6DFCC683F  | int3                               |       |

Last edited:
ner0 you never cease to amaze me! Will definitely try this out. Once again, thanks for the amazing work!

ner0 you never cease to amaze me! Will definitely try this out. Once again, thanks for the amazing work!
Thanks!
I hope there is no other issue, at some point I will cease to amaze :D
Man, I have done the Wong chase so many times to reach a fight that I know by heart the QTE sequence (on the keyboard): 2, left, right, 2, 3, left, left, right, 2, right, down, 2.

I think that's it, lol :p

Surprisingly, I was able to shorten the existing code and add another check to the routine which solves this issue with the positioning of health bar(s). Fingers crossed for no more glitches!

Code:
00007FF6DFA389DE  | jmp 0x7FF6DFC79731               ->|--|
00007FF6DFA389E3  | mov dword ptr ss:[rbp+0x4C],eax  <-|--|-------|
                                                       |  |       |
00007FF6DFC79731  | cmp eax,0x44430000               <-|--|       |
00007FF6DFC79736  | je 0x7FF6DFCC670A                ->|----|     |
00007FF6DFC7973C  | mov rdi,qword ptr ss:[rsp+0x60]  <-|----|--|  |
00007FF6DFC79741  | jmp 0x7FF6DFA389E3               ->|----|--|--|
                                                       |    |  |
00007FF6DFCC670A  | cmp si,0x1FB                     <-|----|  |
00007FF6DFCC670F  | je 0x7FF6DFC7973C                ->|-------|
00007FF6DFCC6715  | jmp 0x7FF6DFCC681A               ->|--|    |
00007FF6DFCC671A  | int3                               |  |    |
00007FF6DFCC671B  | int3                               |  |    |
00007FF6DFCC671C  | int3                               |  |    |
00007FF6DFCC671D  | int3                               |  |    |
00007FF6DFCC671E  | int3                               |  |    |
00007FF6DFCC671F  | int3                               |  |    |
                                                       |  |    |
00007FF6DFCC681A  | cmp si,0x196                     <-|--|    |
00007FF6DFCC681F  | jle 0x7FF6DFC7973C               ->|-------|
00007FF6DFCC6825  | mov eax,0x44638000                 |       |
00007FF6DFCC683A  | jmp 0x7FF6DFC7973C               ->|-------|
00007FF6DFCC683F  | int3                               |       |
With the latest patch it gives me an error saying "ERROR: Patch was aborted"

With the latest patch it gives me an error saying "ERROR: Patch was aborted"
That happens when the patcher fails to match patterns to identify the exe.
In fact, that error can be caused by the following: patterns not matched, denied overwrite existing backup file, failed to write the patch bytes to the target file.

Either there is a new update above v3 which I am not aware of or, most likely, you're trying to patch an already patched exe - you have to use the vanilla exe without any changes. I just tried all executables from both SH1 and SH2, from v1.00, v1.01, v2.00, and v3.00 - they were all correctly identified and patched accordingly.

By the way, I think that someone had such an issue once and solved it like this:
(...) try extracting its contents to a folder in your Desktop and copy the intended Shenmue's executable there, then do the drag & drop operation inside that folder and see if that works for you, if it does then just copy the patched executable and backup files back to your Steam installation folder.
You shouldn't need to do this, but try anyway.

Last edited:
Oh yeah I'm currently playing the whole game with the latest patch. I'm almost in Kowloon and everything is working perfectly with no issues so far, so I'm fairly confident that there won't be anymore issues. We'll see.

Oh yeah I'm currently playing the whole game with the latest patch. I'm almost in Kowloon and everything is working perfectly with no issues so far, so I'm fairly confident that there won't be anymore issues. We'll see.
Thanks for the reply.
I was a bit anxious because I haven't really played past the first fight, and with this kind of improvisation it's hard to guess how it will pan out. Anyhow, I appreciate the feedback.

That happens when the patcher fails to match patterns to identify the exe.
In fact, that error can be caused by the following: patterns not matched, denied overwrite existing backup file, failed to write the patch bytes to the target file.

Either there is a new update above v3 which I am not aware of or, most likely, you're trying to patch an already patched exe - you have to use the vanilla exe without any changes. I just tried all executables from both SH1 and SH2, from v1.00, v1.01, v2.00, and v3.00 - they were all correctly identified and patched accordingly.

By the way, I think that someone had such an issue once and solved it like this:

You shouldn't need to do this, but try anyway.
You were right it was the exes already being patched!

@ner0, just finished Shenmue 2 with the latest patch and everything works perfectly, haven't noticed any issues at all.
The cutscenes are just so beautiful in full 16:9, especially the Guilin parts. Again, thanks for the amazing work ner0!

@ner0, just finished Shenmue 2 with the latest patch and everything works perfectly, haven't noticed any issues at all.
The cutscenes are just so beautiful in full 16:9, especially the Guilin parts. Again, thanks for the amazing work ner0!
That's awesome! Fortunately this means that I'll just have to update it in the case that new updates are released. Last but not least, thanks for being a good and helpful tester.

That's awesome! Fortunately this means that I'll just have to update it in the case that new updates are released. Last but not least, thanks for being a good and helpful tester.
No problem, I'm always glad to help!

Yes, I also spent several hours in Shenmue 2 with the latest patch from ner0. And I want to say that everything is just fine! Thank you so much for the excellent work!
I think that you can remove the choice on the command line and assign all the fixes by default (because few people need a black frame). But it's not for me to decide ... Once again, thank you ner0!

Yes, I also spent several hours in Shenmue 2 with the latest patch from ner0. And I want to say that everything is just fine! Thank you so much for the excellent work!
I think that you can remove the choice on the command line and assign all the fixes by default (because few people need a black frame). But it's not for me to decide ... Once again, thank you ner0!
Glad to know, and thanks for the feedback.
As for the options, I think it's still better to maintain it because everyone has different preferences. At most I can remove the subtitle positioning option and make it default when choosing to patch for fullscreen.

Last edited:
Glad to know, and thanks for the feedback.
As for the options, I think it's still better to maintain it because everyone has different preferences. At most I can remove the subtitle positioning option and make it default when choosing to patch for fullscreen.

I would definitely like to keep the option for the black frames in the cutscenes so it's 21:9; wouldn't feel like Shenmue II for me without those black bars :p

Back