Shenmue III Backer Trial | General Thread

So...I just played Shenmue III

Holy Shit! YouTube compression does not do it justice!

It looks so much better running in person! I need a moment to collect my thoughts but damn, I was smiling ear to ear for the last hour. This was everything I could want it to be!

So...I just played Shenmue III

Holy Shit! YouTube compression does not do it justice...it looks so much better running in person! I need a moment to collect my thoughts but damn, I was smiling ear to ear for the last hour. This was everything I could want it to be!

Excellent to hear! I take it you're pleased with the combat then? :unsure: :love:

If anyone could point me in the direction of a demo playthrough without commentary so I can hear the music and stuff that would be most appreciated. I won't be able to watch it for the next 8 hours owing to work but it will give me something to look forward to when I get home.

I have a 14.8 GB video of my first playthrough...if anyone knows where to share direct video feed of that size then feel free to tell me. I'll upload a version to Youtube as well, but I'm wondering where I can host the Raw video file?

No commentary, just raw footage.

I have a 14.8 GB video of my first playthrough...if anyone knows where to share direct video feed of that size then feel free to tell me. I'll upload a version to Youtube as well, but I'm wondering where I can host the Raw video file?

No commentary, just raw footage.

Please post link once uploaded please

The mouth animations were a give away that it was older....Ryo's mouth movements in the TGS B-Roll was far more articulate. Based on what I've seen. It sounds like it's the build from Gamescom. Didn't a Gamescom preview mention V 0.90? I seem to remember a write up mentioned the version number.
I'm sure it did. So yeah it's gotta be nearer that.

Oh. My. God.

I’m waiting to wake up, but it’s a reality. ?

I said it in the other thread and I’ll say it again, my review is short and sweet: IT’S SHENMUE!

Just to note it ran flawless at 4K/60 max quality.
I'll second that!

Okay....thoughts?

Youtube does not do this game justice. At all! This is a really nice, colourful and sharp looking game in person. I couldn't get over the flower beds. Absolutely stunning art design in these environments. I mean they always looked great in Youtube vids, but to see it actually running in Real Time was something else. For the budget this game has, it looks stunning! I was drinking in the scenery all the way. I can't wait to live in this world. It has something most modern games lack...COLOUR!

I kind of like the fact that everything is tied to your stamina. It kind of forces you to not run so much and wants you to slow down and just drink it all in. Cause if you're running all the time, you deplete your stamina and become useless in fights.

Speaking of fights...I've been weary of the fighting system for a long time, to the point where I thought it would be its weakest element, but having just played the demo? I really like this fighting system. It feels really good and once you get the hang of it, It feels like Shenmue's fighting system modernized. Yeah, the animations are a little lacking, but actually playing it is quite a lot of fun and pretty methodical. You're not just button mashing. You do have to time your attacks out and watch your guard. I really like this fighting system. I can't wait to dig into it some more.

Walking around Bailu was stunning! I walked into the Tao Get store and immediately went into first person mode and just drank in the details. The fact that the guy who runs the store obviously lives in the store (you can see his bedding in the room next to him)....just these little details. It captures everything that I loved about Shenmue. That lived in feel.

I talked to as many people as I could talk to. Can't talk to everyone anymore, but I was surprised as to how many I could talk to. And they have back stories and everything. Again, the place just feels lived in.

I was even surprised by the English dub. The English dub ain't too bad. I'll do another run with the Japanese dub in a minute, but yeah, the English dub surprised me. Not too shabby.

This is Shenmue! This is the game we've been waiting for! They delivered! In spades.

I've been unsure all this time, but having played it? No, this IS Shenmue! They nailed it!

Bring on November 19th!

Last edited:
It's 8am. I've played the demo three times after I said to myself I'd go to bed hours ago. I just love playing it THAT much. :love:

More observations:

- The turtle race song being a slow and sleepy version of the duck race song is genius
- The default music for chopping wood is really great, almost to the point I feel it might be a little bit wasted there
- NPC routines definitely happening in some cases (need to observe more after nightfall), as they'll either go home or roam to parts of Bailu we can't get to yet
- One inch punch is addictive as fuck

Video uploading to Youtube now...I will post a link once it is done.

Like I said, would be grateful if anyone can also point me in the direction of a file sharing site where I can host the raw 14.8GB video

Speaking of fights...I've been weary of the fighting system for a long time, but having just played the demo. I really like this fighting system. It feels really good and once you get the hang of it, It feels like Shenmue's fighting system modernized. Yeah, the animations are a little lacking, but actually playing it is quite a lot of fun and pretty methodical. You're not just button mashing. You do have to time your attacks out and watch your guard. I really like this fighting system. I can't wait to dig into it some more.
For real. Combat plays a lot better than it looks on streams and in videos. The feedback is more visceral and immediate I find.

For real. Combat plays a lot better than it looks on streams and in videos. The feedback is more visceral and immediate I find.

I waited until the last moment to fight the bookie. I wanted to see the day out and I wanted to wait until I had an inkling of the fighting system and how it worked. And I still lost because I wasn't guarding enough. I got him on the second attempt, but yeah, you're right. It's far more visceral and immediate then you would be led to believe by just watching it.

This is why I've been saying all this time that I was reserving full judgement until I had gotten a feel for it myself. Having played it. I'm really impressed. Felt a LOT better than I thought it would and it put to rest my major fear for this game. I knew they could do the exploration stuff but I was really worried about the fighting. I'm no longer worried. This felt good!

Back