Shenmue III Backer Trial | General Thread

Looking forward to the Dojo Stream @ 8! Home from work, filling the tummy then intending to indulge in the greatmess that is Shenmue III! See you guys there :)

Played the demo for an hour and I love it. the game is very beautiful, and most importantly feels like Shenmue. I'm glad to see that you can actually talk to most NPCs, some of the previews from E3 suggested you could only talk to a few people. Like others have pointed out, the lighting is great and the changing tones depending on time of day feels very Shenmue. The starry night with the purple sky and moon is just stunning. The new controls and camera-movement are perfect. Seeing the game in 60 fps is also a huge difference from the footage we have seen so far.

Minor complaints:

Ryo's running animation isn't that great, especially when running stairs.

Combat animations when you hit your opponent and when they fall to the ground are kind of stiff and worse than the old games.

I'm not a big fan of the red circles that highlight special objects, they feel kind of distracting, especially when they appear in the distance like the maps outside the Tao store. They are probably necessary when looking for herbs but I hope you'll have the option to turn them off.

The ball physics in lucky hit are unrealistic to the point that I can't really enjoy that game. They were perfect in Shenmue 2.

Overall, the demo is fantastic and 2 months is going to be a long wait.

Last edited:
It feels so shenmue, the music is awesome, the atmosphere is awesome, everything is like a dream when playing this game. Yu Suzulu is back on business and it's really amazing to play a game from him after this long time. It just feel like old Sega game's souls with the nowaday's technology, visually the environements are so beautiful, so poetic and the music just add tp this feeling. An amazing journey is awaiting us fans. I enjoyed the battle but feels I need more time to understand everything. It feels there is so much to do and to enjoy.

My impressions so far, I'll start from the begining to the end, from the first thing I see to the last one:

- The title screen is ugly. Like, for real. It's amateurish as fuck. Everything is so static. And the font for the title menu is bad. I really hope they're going to change because omg, it's bad.
- The music is great and really set the mood.
- The walking and running animation is really... awkward. But you get used to it pretty fast. About that, I really wished we could push the camera further behind to get the same FOV as Shenmue I and II.
- The visuals are really good. The environnement are well crafted, super detailled and the lighting is lovely.
- The crosshair in first person: It needs to go. For real. Same for the red circles indoor. I really hope we can disable it.
- There should be options to hide the HUD.
- Bailu village is really charming. It's basically the Shenmue experience fans have been waiting for. So far the villagers all looks charming and full of personality. In the 4 to 5 times I played the demo, I noticed every time a different NPC routine (the kids wouldn't always train when I'd come for instance).
- The Japanese VA is decent to good. Definitely the way I'm playing it.
- The game is really detailled. By that I mean it really feels like older Shenmue titles. There's a lot of stuff in stores, you can open drawers and such. Really feels like a good adventure game.
- Facile animations are improved, which is good.
- Fighting system... well... At first I found it pretty bad. I still think Shenmue I and II had a better combat system overall, but I like the RPG stuff they're doing here. And most importantly, I feel like the feeling improved from previous footage. It really feels like punches have weight. So while animations are somehow worse than previous games for combat, it's still satisfying in term of feelings and the whole RPG system with training and such is enjoyable.
- The atmosphere again is really amazing. So much things going on, so much details. I love how the entire landscape shift because of the sky and lighting color change because of the time of day:

p.png

p.png

p.png

p.png

p.png
p.png

p.png

p.png

- I like the mini games and considering we're getting more, it's really exciting for the full game
- Haters gonna hate, going to play the whole game in white t-shirt.

Overall, it's a fairly positive impression for me. Even though I have some disappointements like the battle system (Counter Elbow Assault isn't even a counter move anymore :/ Also lack of throws is sad), the animations and some aesthetic stuff (sorry, that title screen is really bad. I really hope they'll make a real one and not a wall paper), everything else have been a real pleasure.

Just reading through the comments and could not be happier. It's like a launch day we have been waiting on for so long.

Can i ask, has no one else gotten rain yet? I mean i got it in my first playthrough and the textures on Ryo's jacket, the ground... ohly shit!

But, no one at all has seemed to metion it.

I also got rain, and I agree, the wet jacket and ground look great. And Ryo leaves footprints in the mud.

My impressions so far, I'll start from the begining to the end, from the first thing I see to the last one:

- The title screen is ugly. Like, for real. It's amateurish as fuck. Everything is so static. And the font for the title menu is bad. I really hope they're going to change because omg, it's bad.
- The walking and running animation is really... awkward. But you get used to it pretty fast. About that, I really wished we could push the camera further behind to get the same FOV as Shenmue I and II.
- The crosshair in first person: It needs to go. For real. Same for the red circles indoor. I really hope we can disable it.
- There should be options to hide the HUD.

Great impressions. Yes after playing games like Horizon or latest God of War playing HUD-less or options to customize HUD makes for a much more visceral and immersive experience. I really hope they give us options to be able to do this in final game.

Also I feel the health/stamina bar shouldn’t be visible when going into first person mode like the original games.

While certain things like drinking animations didn't make a return(I don't think it was left out due to time or money restrictions, despite what Yu stated. It had to have been a game design decision due to how much food you need to eat now), if you look, there's insane NPC animation details going on.

I was watching a stream earlier where someone opened a shop window(which are transparent mind you), but had to do something, so the window was left open for awhile. The shop keeper NPC did a bunch of different animation, fairly similar, but with minute differences,, so I wasn't 100% sure, but then the NPC did something completely new, he moved his handup like he was brushing his hair with his hand.

Needless to say, I don't think even basic NPCs are just repeating a specific animation cycle. OMG I love Shenmue, there's always fine details, even in the most unlikely places. It's a real Shenmue game :)

Side notes it can rain in the demo, and the banner buy the out doors food stand, flaps in the wind.

I assume that's just something threw together for the demo. I hope it is anyways, as I agree.

Have any of your fine people beaten Gold Tiger? That dude is so fucking difficult!

Have any of your fine people beaten Gold Tiger? That dude is so fucking difficult!

Yeah I have. Spent the whole day training, bought both move scrolls from the shop and levelled all my moves up to 10. Can't remember my Kung-Fu rank but I think it was 9 with Attack on 4 and Stamina on 5. I used Master Elbow Assault mostly whilst stepping back and then doing the Leg Sweep whilst he was grounded. It worked!

- Haters gonna hate, going to play the whole game in white t-shirt.
I like it too. Fits perfectly for spring time in the country.

I'm more worried about the in-game menus than the title screen though. They are ugly and kind of awkward. Those vertical panels ... :confounded:

Yeah he wrecked me even after training all day.

Yeah I have. Spent the whole day training, bought both move scrolls from the shop and levelled all my moves up to 10. Can't remember my Kung-Fu rank but I think it was 9 with Attack on 4 and Stamina on 5. I used Master Elbow Assault mostly whilst stepping back and then doing the Leg Sweep whilst he was grounded. It worked!
I should start doing leg sweep to grounded enemies that's a great idea. I was Kung Fu 10 and it was close but he still beat me.

Back