Shenmue III Backer Trial | General Thread

environment is gorgeous and most importantly it feels like shenmue. music is killer.

however, ryo running looks horrendous and i think the menus look awful. there is some work to be done for sure. regardless i am thrilled for the final game.

Not sure if anyone else has had this happen yet but I was fighting gold tiger for like the 50th time and something happened that I hadn't seen before. I have no idea how I did it but at one point I timed an elbow assault and there was suddenly a noise as though I had activated something, the camera then spun round, zoomed in and slowed the action down while some gold sparks appeared. I have no idea how I did it :/

I don't know if I'd go that far but I'm a Virtua Fighter guy and this game is never gonna best one of the greatest pure fighting games of all time (VF2, VF4 or VF5)

As much as I'm enjoying it, it's not gonna best some of the greatest fighting games of all time. :D

But I do think it works and is enjoyable none the less. It's the very simple basics of Rock, Paper, Scissors at its core, but fun to learn and fun to play (so far at least)

I think we have only scratched the surface of this new combat system. Remember that there is going to be a lot of new moves to acquire and master. Thanks to Shenmue Fans recent YouTube video on Shenmue III’s move list, we can combo into other moves as well. I can’t wait to experiment and see the full potential of this combat system! Just imagine the kind of combos that a player like Kenjito Master is going to come up with!

Mmmmm...
What you guys think might change in the final game in relationship to this demo?
Assuming this is to representative of the current build of the game, and knowing they have 2 or 3 weeks more to work before the game goes Gold, things look really good!
Plus, an almos certain day one patch... it means almos 2 more months of polish!
I feel so optimistic!

What you guys think might change in the final game in relationship to this demo?

I have distinct impression and I could be wrong that I feel skill progression and way stamina depletes could vary a lot in final game. With the later I assume they wanted you to eat items and understand how food ties into everything thus depleting it faster.

Am I really the only one who always plays Shenmue using the default control scheme from Shenmue I? Left trigger for movement/running and right trigger for looking/examining? I know it sounds like a minor complaint, but an option for this would be so easy for them to implement and it would be really annoying to have to train myself to control Shenmue the opposite way that I normally do.

It kind of boggles my mind that there's no option to swap these functions but there is one to swap "confirm" and "cancel." I mean, pretty much all games for many years have used A/Cross for confirm and B/Circle for cancel, including the original Shenmue games on Dreamcast!

Is there some way I can make a suggestion to Ys Net? I don't want to post in that cesspool of a comments section that I'm sure they don't even look at anymore.

No, you're not alone, I do too.

BTW, the option to swap A/Cross for confirm and B/Circle for cancel might be because it's traditionally the other way round in Japan.

I'm sure there will be a lot more refinement and options in the final game. They still have a few more weeks before it goes Gold, plus they can incorporate any improvements based on Trial feedback into a Day 1 Update.

Judging by the DLC plan, I expect continual improvement on the game even after launch. I am also almost certain that Yu will get to conclude his series.

Sales are good, feedback is positive...I think we'll see somebody step in to make sure it happens.

On that topic, its beyond me that they didnt swap the R1 and Y/triangle functions. Make Y/triangle bring up the main menu, and have the R1 button as help. That will be used a lot less.

I was wondering about the Y help button. I was hoping it was in place just for the demo.

Great video here showing all the moves so far and how the create a combo system works. Mud spider (1:21) and Sword kick (2:13) look crazy powerful and so pleased to see the Double Blow (1:10) and Double Thigh Kick (1:59) two of my fave moves from the originals.

Mud spider is amazing because not only it's powerful, it has a good range but it also connects well.

GameXplain did a playthrough of the demo. The guy playing enjoyed it. The video is glitchy though and goes blurry at random places.

However, many people in the comments say it looks bad. some "PS2 Graphics" and others "early 360". Others think it looks generic.

I thought it would be generally well recieved but I guess not. Still, more positivity than negativity wherever I look. Some comments I've seen are encouraging "I thought it would be a dumpster fire, but it's great" (paraphrasing). Then there are very few Epic whiners.

No, you're not alone, I do too.

BTW, the option to swap A/Cross for confirm and B/Circle for cancel might be because it's traditionally the other way round in Japan.
Ah yes, that makes sense. But there still should be an option to swap the buttons for run and zoom. Anyway, I left a comment on the Kickstarter and also sent Ys Net a nice message suggesting it.

On that topic, its beyond me that they didnt swap the R1 and Y/triangle functions. Make Y/triangle bring up the main menu, and have the R1 button as help. That will be used a lot less.
Yeah, that was also kind of weird and didn't feel right.

GameXplain did a playthrough of the demo. The guy playing enjoyed it. The video is glitchy though and goes blurry at random places.

However, many people in the comments say it looks bad. some "PS2 Graphics" and others "early 360". Others think it looks generic.

I thought it would be generally well recieved but I guess not. Still, more positivity than negativity wherever I look. Some comments I've seen are encouraging "I thought it would be a dumpster fire, but it's great" (paraphrasing). Then there are very few Epic whiners.
This looks like a win for us overall. Way less negativity, even in the Kickstarter comment section. There are always going to be haters. The original Shenmue games had mind-blowing graphics for the time and it still got ignored by the mainstream audience and shit on by many people for various reasons.

Kotaku point of view on Shenmue 3 demo.

Kotaku point of view on Shenmue 3 demo.

Nice, all the comments to it are positive. Even a positive comment from an anti-EGS fellow!

Back