Shenmue III Complete collectors edition

I snagged the 6 CD set, but seriously can’t justify anything else! My partner would actually kill me haha. Gotta save for a house and nice holidays, I’m afraid. I echo some of your mixed reactions to this, how much longer can they milk this game? If it’s all to fund Shenmue IV, fine, but it’s frustrating when we are currently in limbo..

I snagged the 6 CD set, but seriously can’t justify anything else! My partner would actually kill me haha. Gotta save for a house and nice holidays, I’m afraid. I echo some of your mixed reactions to this, how much longer can they milk this game? If it’s all to fund Shenmue IV, fine, but it’s frustrating when we are currently in limbo..
Similar situation. I will be buying the 6 CD set, but since it's open for a 4 week period I'm going to wait until pay day.

I bought the collector, thanks god to the weakness of $ vs € It has been only 160€ including shipping, when I watched 185$ I thought "no way José"

About the Vinyls... It is going difficult to sell the idea of 11LPs

I'm also probably going to get the CD Edition of the soundtrack because it's a reasonable price for six CDs and I really like that new artwork, but that's it. This collector's edition looks nice and all, but I don't have $150 right now to drop on my sixth copy of the PS4 version of Shenmue III.

Out of all the Shenmue things being released in the near future, ironically, the one that I'm by far looking the most forward to and have no hesitation about buying (and am considering getting two copies of) is the one that's an unofficial fan project and definitely won't contribute towards funding Shenmue IV.

I really wish that there were better ways for me to support Ys Net, such as some new DLC being released. I would definitely buy that, even if it was just some cheap cosmetic stuff like new outfits (it's still shocking to me that they included a feature to change Shenhua's clothes but never made her classic outfit available, either as an unlockable or as paid DLC). Maybe I'll get a copy of the game for Steam while it's still 66% off.

As for these collector's editions and soundtracks, we don't even know how much money Ys Net will see from their sales. Obviously it would be great if the money was going towards funding Shenmue IV, but we just don't know if that's the case or not.

Great to see S3 getting support but the game has reached "archive status" in my personal "video game library" by now. It's been out for a year and I have bought Deep Silver's collectors edition already.

Keeping my fingers crossed for all of you who are trying to get a copy.

I saw that too! What the hell is the point of holding a pre-order for something that is highly limited and not out for 4 - 5 months. The whole point of pre-ordering is allowing consumers the opportunity to make sure they secure a copy and also so they can monitor demand. There's no point in doing a pre-order for something that will only have 3,000 copies and is a special limited release. Just do that a couple of weeks before it's due to ship.
With regards to the vinyl, there aren't many pressing plants in the world anymore and the recent resurgance in vinyl wrong footed many people, so you often have a long backlog of vinyl being pressed in very few places. With Record Store Day and the pandemic among other things, there is a huge lead in time. In a way that's a shame, because one small record label I follow is being shunted to make way for labels with bigger orders. This label is home run and the guy is at major financial risk having paid for the pressing in advance, but with nothing to show for it. That's pretty sad. (Also, I might have cut off some of your quote, so I apologise!)

So anyway, I got the CD soundtrack from Bigwax and the Collectors edition from Limited Run. I hope that was the right thing to do. I figured that postage from France to England would be better and I have never been hit with customs from a Bigwax purchase (I've made 3 prior to this). I did think of combining the CD & Collectors edition off Limited Run, but worked on the assumption that it would sell out instantly and that putting another item in the cart would make me lose out.

I do kinda hate myself, but considering a month ago, I was planning to spend near £400 and I ended up spending half that is good enough for me. I really need to take advantage of my living situation and ramp up my savings. That said, i've saved £2k more than I would've normally, so I think i'm allowed a moment of weakness like this.

I'm going to give the 2nd collectors edition the benefit of the doubt that it was done for the love of Shenmue, but this has to be the last time, because anything beyond this will truly take the piss. I think because the game has a 2nd lease of life, it's nice to celebrate it, but we are not a money pit and whilst I have put my money where my mouth is, I also refuse to buy something for the sake of it. I used to do that with Sonic the Hedgehog. I would collect anything and everything and back in the day, the merch was nice and there was just enough of it, but around 10-15 years ago, there was an explosion of merch and lots of it was crap. I'd buy it all and then i'd end up feeling miserable buying something that didn't make me happy.

The 2nd collectors edition is walking on thin ice in this respect, because I can't say I liked the surprise aspect whereas at least with the soundtrack, there was lots of time for me to work out the feasibility of my finances etc. Any further merch has to be either for the anime, Shenmue IV or to a lesser extent Shenmue I & II.

I kinda understand how some of you feel atm. Announcing a collector edition the day before the release date was a weird move. They should've provided some kind of coupon to all customers that purchased the first collector (10 or 20 dollars) or even a special bonus.

Tbh, I'm beyond happy to see this kind of stuff up for sale or the new anime project. I just hope they're not taking advantage of the fan base to milk as many people as possible. I always believed in Yu Suzuki and I still do and I'm really looking forward to a potential Shenmue IV. ❤️

With regards to the vinyl, there aren't many pressing plants in the world anymore and the recent resurgance in vinyl wrong footed many people, so you often have a long backlog of vinyl being pressed in very few places. With Record Store Day and the pandemic among other things, there is a huge lead in time. In a way that's a shame, because one small record label I follow is being shunted to make way for labels with bigger orders. This label is home run and the guy is at major financial risk having paid for the pressing in advance, but with nothing to show for it. That's pretty sad. (Also, I might have cut off some of your quote, so I apologise!)

So anyway, I got the CD soundtrack from Bigwax and the Collectors edition from Limited Run. I hope that was the right thing to do. I figured that postage from France to England would be better and I have never been hit with customs from a Bigwax purchase (I've made 3 prior to this). I did think of combining the CD & Collectors edition off Limited Run, but worked on the assumption that it would sell out instantly and that putting another item in the cart would make me lose out.

I do kinda hate myself, but considering a month ago, I was planning to spend near £400 and I ended up spending half that is good enough for me. I really need to take advantage of my living situation and ramp up my savings. That said, i've saved £2k more than I would've normally, so I think i'm allowed a moment of weakness like this.

I'm going to give the 2nd collectors edition the benefit of the doubt that it was done for the love of Shenmue, but this has to be the last time, because anything beyond this will truly take the piss. I think because the game has a 2nd lease of life, it's nice to celebrate it, but we are not a money pit and whilst I have put my money where my mouth is, I also refuse to buy something for the sake of it. I used to do that with Sonic the Hedgehog. I would collect anything and everything and back in the day, the merch was nice and there was just enough of it, but around 10-15 years ago, there was an explosion of merch and lots of it was crap. I'd buy it all and then i'd end up feeling miserable buying something that didn't make me happy.

The 2nd collectors edition is walking on thin ice in this respect, because I can't say I liked the surprise aspect whereas at least with the soundtrack, there was lots of time for me to work out the feasibility of my finances etc. Any further merch has to be either for the anime, Shenmue IV or to a lesser extent Shenmue I & II.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. By the time 2021 shows up, Shenmue 3 should be put to rest. All future efforts should be put towards the Shenmue Anime and Shenmue 4

I love Shenmue 3 and I've purchased the game about 10 times

5 collector editions
3 individual PS4 physical copies
A PC copy
A digital PS4 copy
etc

I also put $600 towards the kickstarter campaign and backed the slacker backer. I've got all the merchandise I need for the 3rd entry, so this was the last big purchase from me.

I'll happily buy some more merch, but only if it's the anime or Shenmue 4 related.

Happy to say, all of us did our part to make the series continue. The rest is up to the Shenmue gods.

As I said before, as things stand right now, i'd be absolutely shocked if Shenmue 4 doesn't come out. I think its a guarantee based off the amount of money Shenmue 3 has made and raised.

Last edited:
Well I got the CD set off BigWax but that Collectors Edition, I want it but I just don't know. I'm in the UK so I'm going to be hit with increased shipping and a customs fee and it's already kinda pricey. Kind of wish they had a European distributor like with the CD so the extra fees wouldn't be as high :crying: I wish there was more time to think about it.

Well I got the CD set off BigWax but that Collectors Edition, I want it but I just don't know. I'm in the UK so I'm going to be hit with increased shipping and a customs fee and it's already kinda pricey. Kind of wish they had a European distributor like with the CD so the extra fees wouldn't be as high :crying: I wish there was more time to think about it.
Good news is there are still about 1100 copies left. You should hopefully be ok for the weekend and maybe first half of next week.

I say buy it and if you dont want it down the road, sell it on ebay, amazon or to the community

Back