Shenmue III cover art on German Amazon

Has anyone uploaded that screenshot to look for metadata?
The metadata says the image is from Febuary 21st of this year.
Quick point - I checked this yesterday, but ALL the screens in that lower part of the listing had this date in the metadata. It's not accurate, because it's really only telling us when the images were resized for Amazon.

The full version on the French listing doesn't have any metadata unfortunately, as it's not the original source image.

I don't remember seeing this shot of the Great Wall either, makes me wonder what could happen there :)
That was released with the Gamescom 2017 set.

OH BTW guys the french amazon website had the full image, just found it. Enjoy :)
61CZFVGaf1L._SL1000_.jpg

Is that a shoe store I see? Can we buy Ryo a fresh new pair of shoes? O:
Excellent find BTW.

I'm willing to plant a flag in the idea this is a more recent build, at the very least post-Gamescom 2018. This street looks a lot more artistically complete than it did when Cedric showed the reverse shot of the same place in January last year:

shenmue-3-official-wa76k2g.jpg

I think the two clear examples are that NPCs have been implemented, and that texturework has changed/been completed (the giveaways are the exterior walls of the shops).

Other than the perspective or FOV settings skewing Ryo's proportions, I think it looks really, really great.

OH BTW guys the french amazon website had the full image, just found it. Enjoy :)
61CZFVGaf1L._SL1000_.jpg

wooooowww dudeee!!!! This one is waaaay better.This really feels like 2017 gamescom footage to me.
Even tho, it looks very cool!
Spaghetti, don't forget that in the 2017 gamescom extended trailer NPC's were already walking in the streets...gamescom extended t.png

Last edited:
The newer shot does look better and the shops looks really nice in particular. The NPCS likely need touching up if it is a newer build but it's great to see. Im still not sure how old the build is and would be in the camp of older but it's a good discussion point.

Ryos model might be an older one and IMO looks different to the one in the fighting scene in July 2018 and of course the one just released. I'm sure Magic Monaco will reveal more!

I'm willing to plant a flag in the idea this is a more recent build, at the very least post-Gamescom 2018. This street looks a lot more artistically complete than it did when Cedric showed the reverse shot of the same place in January last year:

I see what you mean, but the shaders and lighting look pre-Febuary 2018 to me, especially noticeable with Ryo's hair.

Plus, I think his head (And ass) resemble his 2017 model more.

n7GZPkk.png

J6qV9nZ.png

QqFvpZl.png

Spaghetti, don't forget that in the 2017 gamescom extended trailer NPC's were already walking in the streets...
Sure, there was obviously some level of implementation. I'm talking more about the shop vendors being there now, whereas before a sign with their concept art was just placed outside their store.

The NPCs in general are a lot more detailed than they looked in the extended Gamescom 2017 video, though. You can even see one of the NPCs who got off the boat with Ryo in the Gamescom 2018 trailer talking to the man at the shoe store, with no noticeable loss of detail.

I just really think this is from roughly the last 6-8 months.

I see what you mean, but the shaders and lighting look pre-Febuary 2018 to me, especially noticeable with Ryo's hair.

Plus, I think his head (And ass) resemble his 2017 model more.
Comparing the lighting and shaders with video is hard, because I'm 99% sure the gamma settings on the video export for what we've seen so far have been incorrect in some way. If you look at the Gamescom 2017 progress video and compare it with a screenshot that shows the exact same moment (like fighting Mr Muscles), you'll notice the video is darker, slightly more saturated, and the details a bit mushier (MP4 compression, I guess).

Additionally, cutscene lighting is going to be different from the lighting you see out in the open world - which I assume this screen is from.

Perspective warp is occurring on Ryo's model in the screenshot, from a wide FOV and positioning of the camera I expect, which are skewing his proportions.

It's inconclusive I suppose, but I guess now I'd fall back on the logic this screenshot was generated to be shown off with the game somewhere (like the QTE Title image from a June build), that just didn't get released for whatever reason. The screens on the Amazon listing are from Gamescom 2017, the MAGIC press conference in January 2018, and one we know was generated roughly around last July ahead of Gamescom 2018.

It's definitely not Gamescom 2017 (IMO, but I think if you go back and look at the details of that build's NPCs and environments you'd agree), it's not the MAGIC press conference in Jan 2018 (I've already shown that's probably not it either), so that just leaves Gamescom 2018.

I hope this made sense, haha.

61CZFVGaf1L._SL1000_.jpg

Why do the NPC’s look like they’re doing Tai Chi while walking? Something very bizarre going on here.

There's a sorta Yakuza looking guy in the "Chobu Shoes Center" store looking upset, like he is gonna wreck some shit if the lady don't give him some good shoes. lmao

There's a sorta Yakuza looking guy in the "Chobu Shoes Center" store looking upset, like he is gonna wreck some shit if the lady don't give him some good shoes. lmao
"THESE ARE OFF BRAND!!!!"

The NPC's need a lot of work.

In the Prophecy Trailer: they stagger side to side like they're half cut. Actually their movements remind me a lot of the Walking Dead zombies. Pay attention to when Ryo gets off the boat and you'll see what I'm saying.

The NPC's need a lot of work.

In the Prophecy Trailer: they stagger side to side like they're half cut. Actually their movements remind me a lot of the Walking Dead zombies. Pay attention to when Ryo gets off the boat and you'll see what I'm saying.

Isn't this exactly what you said when the trailer was new? And a bunch of people were like, actually that's their idle animations... and then you repeated your interpretation a few times and finally everyone moved on to some other topic...

Isn't this exactly what you said when the trailer was new? And a bunch of people were like, actually that's their idle animations... and then you repeated your interpretation a few times and finally everyone moved on to some other topic...

Look at the new screenshot. The NPC's retain the same bizarre movement mid-motion, so one cannot use the argument that it simply an idle animation.

61CZFVGaf1L._SL1000_.jpg

Compare with Hitman 2

hitman2anunciado_2484653b.jpg

Erm nothing about those model animations in Hitman 2 look any better. I mean, what the fuck is the guy in the grey suit doing in the foreground? Everyone has blank expressions. Black dude in the cap at the bottom right hand side's hand is disappearing into a nonexistent pocket.

I don't see the issue with the models in the Shenmue 3 shot. Plus it's a pretty low-res shot, so hard to tell how good or bad it looks...

Back