Shenmue III: NEW TRAILER! (PC Gaming Show) + Full Show with Yu Suzuki

Hopefully they gave them a lot of money because this is going to dominate Shenmue news for the next few weeks. They really have no clue how to market this game.

Indeed, I give it less than 24 hours until YouTubers' are making bank on this. This is all incredibly damaging to the Shenmue brand...... no-one will be talking about the game in a positive light for a long time to come. I'm actually starting to regret my $1300 pledge; should have just gone for the bargin basement PS4 Physical copy..... Thought I could trust Yu Suzuki and YS Net...

Trailer was okay, but Epic Games Store exclusivity? Fucking betrayal right there. Paired with releasing at the worst possible time of the year, my optimism for the game being a success has tanked.

that ship has sailed..

Absolutely enjoyed the trailer, with so much original game vibes coming back. From the guy smashing the bottle Poison Bros style, to the chase through the marketplace echoing back to chasing Jimmy through the streets of Dobuita. The little girl on the ladder like when you chase Wong in Shenmue 2. The lights coming on to blind Ryo just like they did when he met Ren....
Not only that the audio and foley were great too, vibrant colours harking back to Shenmue 2, as well as different atmospheres dependent on the time of day.

The lip sync was indeed off, but that's more or less due to the fact they will have probably have had to make the decision to go with one language for the sync (obviously Japanaese), but that's ok, i can live with that. At the end of it all, i just wanted more, and that for me is a good thing. I don't think these trailers even scratch the surface of this game from a playability perspective, and i can see myself putting so many hours into this. Looking forward to proper gameplay updates this week, as well as more information in the coming months before release!

I can't agree more with you :)

Watched the trailer a few more times and I've decided I like it quite a bit. That one NPC and the lip-synching obviously need work, but on the whole it had the feel of Shenmue down great. Looks like a world I want to explore. I do think the WalMart footage was better on the whole though, wonder why they didn't use that.

Pretty sure we're seeing QTEs there, would be shocked if they weren't.

I'm torn on one topic, and I'd welcome thoughts:
a. On the one hand, I think the trailers have been great in what they've shown, especially for those who are already fans or at least familiar with the basics.
b. On the other hand, it does seem like it's time that they provide some sort of "What's Shenmue?" trailer for outsiders. I don't know the best way to do that for a third installment, but it would likely help.

That said, as for content:
-I repeat my initial sentiment about both this and the Magic trailers: I love that almost all of the content shown so far occurs in media res: we don't know the specific context of events, but we see Ryo's increasing maturation and acceptance that he has a lot to learn in China besides the cause for his father's death.

-As for character models/lip sync: that's never bothered me. As with the gameplay of I/II, I focused more on the bursting, juicy colors of the environment and clothes.

-So too, I like how Corey Marshall sounds. The right amount of "cardboardiness" to his voice (to quote Brutalmoose), but others sound polished enough for 2019 without trying to mimic triple AAA voice acting.

I hope it comes for MS store, their download speeds are crazy and actually use the whole bandwith, like x10 times my actual download speed (third world country here).

Pretty sure we're seeing QTEs there, would be shocked if they weren't.

Yes, the chase sequence definitely had all of the elements of a QTE (with the prompts removed). Then it shifted to the confrontation with Mr. Muscles, which would be the cutscene prior to a fight.

We have seen brief snippets of gameplay... in addition to today's trailer, we've seen the whack-a-mole and forklift driving from the Walmart kiosk, the horse stance, one-inch punch, and sparring from the Magic Monaco trailer. I think we all want to see more, and in particular I think many people are interested in just seeing some free roaming, with Ryo walking through an environment.

Everyone who criticizes something is not a hater. Thats BS. People can not like it. Love shenmue, still think parts of this look really bad. Still buying it tho.

I agree just keep in mind that not everyone who disagrees with you and expresses that is a blind fanboy either nor are they attacking you. It also doesn't mean they can't handle a contrary opinion.

Last edited:
Ok, so I told myself I wasn't going to watch any more trailers. But I watched this and...it's perfect! I won't be watching any more until it comes out now!

Okay, now I'm fully awake and had some time to process it all. Let's go through this.

I think, like everything I've seen from this game so far, it's a mixed bag. Some stuff looks good while other stuff looks rough.

The faces are truly the worst of it I think. When you look at some of the faces, it's like their mouths are the only thing animating. The rest of the face is stiff. There is no bone movement and so it has that disconnect. In many ways we've been spoilt by games that offer unbelievable facial capture and its very clear that this is all hand animated. With that said; I don't think that's a valid excuse. I think you can do better in hand animating. BUT when you compare the English trailer with the Japanese trailer, I think it's made worse by the fact that the English dub does not match the mouth movement of the Japanese.

Japanese and English are two entirely different languages hence the disconnect in the lip sync. So maybe this will get better and maybe that's why they needed the delay.

I think the Japanese version is very much done and I think everything you see here is indicative of the final product. If anything, I think the hold up now is actually the English version and the fact that it wasn't finished. Or I could be wrong on that but I'd be willing to bet that is the case.

I think the Japanese version of the trailer played a little better and I think it was because the mouths are synced a little more competently to the Japanese dub at this point in time.

To me the facial animations are the worst of it as a whole, but it doesn't bother me too much. I can live with stiff faces that don't fully animate or aren't performance captured. The facial animations have always been the worst of it to me. Even though it has gotten better, it still isn't great and sadly, for many people, that shit leaves an impression.

I think everything you see here is indicative of in game. Those chase sequences are obviously QTE sequences without the prompts. And I think some of them looked nice. This one in particular I liked

y3TrGnQ.gif

I actually really like this moment in the trailer. It's very Shenmue. Very QTE. If there is one thing I would say about it. The editing seems kind of jarred.

The sparring looked nice. I think the color vibrance is still there. I love seeing that AM2 blue sky again.

I don't hate it but at the same time I do get why people don't like it either. There's just something about it all that is still a bit jarring. Whether it be the un-synchronized mouths, the stiff facial animations, some of the jarring animations or what not. It's not perfect; it screams budget through and through. For me, that is fine. I knew this wasn't open cheque book Shenmue like the first two games were, but for casual audiences that have no care in the world for Shenmue? Of course they're gonna rag on it for what it is.

Hell, even as a fan, I still have issues with it. I think some of the character designs don't look great. Ryo and Shenhua look better than ever but some of the side characters just look rough and not in a great way. I think there's a total disconnect in design philosophy. Some aspects look better than others.

I'm sure I'll be called a hater by someone. I didn't hate it but I do understand people's concerns. I really do.

Last edited:
I've only watched the trailer once because, well, other life things came up. But I was surprised to see how much of the weird intangible things that I associate with Shenmue were visible. As people have kind of alluded to, I'm glad that Corey Marshall's voice acting hasn't drastically improved over the last few, couple of dozen years. It would have probably been jarring to hear Ryo sounding like an emotive human being.

I don't know how to describe it though, there were little pieces of movements and camera angles that made me think "Ah, yes. This is the Shenmue I remember." I guess the closest comparison is when people sort of say that something "FEELS" like Star Wars. Just these little qualities that leave you feeling nostalgic, and they're things that you didn't even know were things until you see them. But yes, despite everything I am cautiously optimistic.

Personally I enjoyed the trailer mainly because I kept in mind that NPC'S are not going to have the same level of care as the main characters are. I mean its blatantly obvious that more care was put into Ryo than some random nobody #55. The NPC'S are not going to be on the same level as the mains that's how it's always been. I don't know why people are acting like a random nobody needs the same care as Ryo does.

Really enjoyed the trailer, the movements of the characters were fluid and believable. Accepted that the facial animations need more work, hopefully the 3 extra months will help towards improving it. But to me the depth of a character is more than just the visuals, and let's not forget how the Edge article mentioned that conversations are now a lot deeper than S1 or 2.

Music was top-notch again, I know the first track was a remix of Kowloon somewhere but still, beautiful. Glad to also hear the QTE prompt sound is more "Disc 4 Guilin" rather than the "8-bit" version.

Voice over-wise, sorry Corey but the Japanese dubs win this time :)

Last edited:
Personally I enjoyed the trailer mainly because I kept in mind that NPC'S are not going to have the same level of care as the main characters are. I mean its blatantly obvious that more care was put into Ryo than some random nobody #55. The NPC'S are not going to be on the same level as the mains that's how it's always been. I don't know why people are acting like a random nobody needs the same care as Ryo does.

I actually think most of the NPC’s look better than Ryo at this point, but it’s clear his face and animations are still a work in progress...

This is a Shenmue game! Stiff if what we want! I'm really trying hard to resist making an easy pun here.

You missed the point though; for a casual audience that has no interest in Shenmue, of course they're gonna notice that and of course that's gonna be the first thing they latch to.

Also, I don't know if this is a valid excuse anymore. The stiff faces in the original games were a limitation of the hardware. It wasn't a design choice. It was hardware based limitations. Like I said, it doesn't bother me greatly, but I'm not gonna lie either. It could be done better.

But for a casual audience, of course this is the first thing they'll see and judge...why be so shocked about this?

It's a matter of budget, the problem is that Shenmue has the cinematic style of dialogue that focus a lot on characters.

Back