Shenmue III | The Story goes on - Launch Trailer

giphy.gif
This move is straight out of Virtua Fighter, Akira uses it. I noticed it instantly

Yu going for the moe audience in the Japanese version. Smart move!

View attachment 5405

Yea, Yu Suzuki was reportedly very disappointed that the Japanese audience didn't like Shenhua(frankly, the Japanese audience should be ashamed).

This also explains the Shrine maiden outfit, apposed to a more traditional Chinese counterpart. Luckily we are talking about the 80s here, near a pretty big city at that, so It's not too unrealistic.

Yea, Yu Suzuki was reportedly very disappointed that the Japanese audience didn't like Shenhua(frankly, the Japanese audience should be ashamed).

This also explains the Shrine maiden outfit, apposed to a more traditional Chinese counterpart. Luckily we are talking about the 80s here, near a pretty big city at that, so It's not too unrealistic.
Lmao sorry, I was just making an obtuse joke about the Youtube autotranslate. He's definitely made Shenhua cute as a button this time around, though. I do remember him commenting that he was upset the domestic audience didn't care for her before.

I'm talking about Lan Di, and his cronies manipulating Lin into going after Ryo.
I have only read the first page of the thread but I dont see how you came to this conclusion.

Thugs have been trying to break into the temple to steal treasure. Ryo, a guy Lin has never met before suddenly shows up at the temple. She assumes Ryo is also a thug and attacks him. I dont see how Lan Di did anything to manipulate anyone.

I have only read the first page of the thread but I dont see how you came to this conclusion.

Thugs have been trying to break into the temple to steal treasure. Ryo, a guy Lin has never met before suddenly shows up at the temple. She assumes Ryo is also a thug and attacks him. I dont see how Lan Di did anything to manipulate anyone.
That was just his theory from another thread he made, I don't think he's saying the Lan Di manipulation part is confirmed yet. It does show that he was right in that Lin would attack him over a misunderstanding though.

It's a theory I had way before the trailer, and I'm using not just new info, I'm hinting at a theory I outline in a post shortly after Lin was first shown off. That thread was posted in the spoiler forum, if you want to check it out.

To me, the emotional aspect of the trailer is due to it's arrangement:

1) The very beginning where it states that time stood still...that resonates with us all.

2) Throughout the trailer from beginning to end, its like Shenhua and Ryo are having an intimate conversation. The trailer does an amazing job matching certain scenes with key points in the convo. (Ex Shenhua asking Ryo questions about Japan in the beginning, the cycle of pain speech after NIAO Niao Sun's appearance and then during the confrontation with Mr. Muscles). One specific part of the convo that really stuck to me was when Shenhua pointed and exclaimed "That's Bailu village". I feel like that scene being placed at the end was for us fans. We've all been wanting to go to Bailu village for 18 years now and it has a special place in our hearts. With that scene "wrapping up" the trailer, it's like Yu is saying "Its finally here".

3) And of course the VERY end with the logo appearing, the music is slowing down as it ends, and Shenhua says "Ryo, I want to know more about you" is my absolute favorite part of the trailer.

I know it's been said a thousand and one times but this really is the trailer we were all meant to get.

And of course the VERY end with the logo appearing, the music is slowing down as it ends, and Shenhua says "Ryo, I want to know more about you" is my absolute favorite part of the trailer.

Yes I thought that was really a nice touch, trailer definitely did feel like a celebration for fans. One thing I don’t think many of us realize is Ryo won’t be by himself during this chapter of his journey. Shenhua is going to be an intrinsic parter during this and the trailer hinted at that which I love.

To me, the emotional aspect of the trailer is due to it's arrangement:

1) The very beginning where it states that time stood still...that resonates with us all.

2) Throughout the trailer from beginning to end, its like Shenhua and Ryo are having an intimate conversation. The trailer does an amazing job matching certain scenes with key points in the convo. (Ex Shenhua asking Ryo questions about Japan in the beginning, the cycle of pain speech after NIAO Niao Sun's appearance and then during the confrontation with Mr. Muscles). One specific part of the convo that really stuck to me was when Shenhua pointed and exclaimed "That's Bailu village". I feel like that scene being placed at the end was for us fans. We've all been wanting to go to Bailu village for 18 years now and it has a special place in our hearts. With that scene "wrapping up" the trailer, it's like Yu is saying "Its finally here".

3) And of course the VERY end with the logo appearing, the music is slowing down as it ends, and Shenhua says "Ryo, I want to know more about you" is my absolute favorite part of the trailer.

I know it's been said a thousand and one times but this really is the trailer we were all meant to get.
Yes, exactly. The beginning and end were basically speaking directly to us, the fans. Starting with the end of Shenmue II in black and white while directly addressing the fact that Shenmue III's existence seemed unfathomable at one point but became possible because of our unwavering passion. Then it changes from black and white to color to signify that the story will finally continue from that point.

The final scene shown is the introduction to Bailu Village, the place where we were headed at the end of Shenmue II but thought we would never get to see. No doubt that was deliberate. "That's Bailu Village" is a sentence we've been waiting nearly two decades to hear. And of course, the name of the trailer being a direct reference to the ending of Shenmue II as well.

Beautiful.

Back