Shenmue III to be featured in PlayStation Chinajoy press conference [August 1st, 5:30PM - 7:30PM CST]

Definitely gonna see a ton of info at Gamescom. After that, we're in the final stretch up until release.

Id even go as far to say we'll be playing the Shenmue 3 demo by the end of the month. That is being super optimistic, but a man can dream.

I wonder if anything will be shown at the Tokyo Game Show. That's the last event I can think of prior to release day. On a side note, the title looks good in Chinese.

Here's the translated subtitles line by line, hopefully it's easy to add to the youtube vid. It starts from the last screen of the E3 trailer (Chinese S3 logo and release date):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End of E3 trailer: Shenmue 3 Simplified Chinese version on sale end of 2019

"Hello everyone, I’m the producer Yu Suzuki

Shenmue is an open-world game series based in China

I admire China’s beautiful landscapes, its rich history and deep martial arts

So I have infused this enthusiasm into Shenmue 3

And I hope to convey this feeling to everyone through the game

Recently I have focused work on repeated play testing

As well as asking different people to try our game, in order to fine tune it

The biggest difference between Shenmue and other games

Is that 10 different people will play it in 10 different ways

There is a lot of freedom, so people can play it however they like

At the same time, this game will bring out the player’s gaming style

In other words, Shenmue is like a mirror that reflects the gamer back to him/herself

So everyone should take their time to slowly experience this game

Please wait patiently until November arrives.

Finally I hope everyone has an enjoyable time at the the “Playstation 无索不玩 ChinaJoy Eve Festival”

The biggest difference between Shenmue and other games

Is that 10 different people will play it in 10 different ways

There is a lot of freedom, so people can play it however they like

At the same time, this game will bring out the player’s gaming style

In other words, Shenmue is like a mirror that reflects the gamer back to him/herself

For a game that was asking for 2 million dollars, i am literally dreaming.

I expected something, but not this.

Awesome! Apologies also, i forgot to say a huge thank you for the translation bud!

Assuming there is a trailer at Gamescom

What would you all want to see from it?

A more story focused trailer?
Or a more side activity focused trailer?
Or a little of both?

Or a little of both?

Any of those three would work for me since Shenmue excels in both story and gameplay. A completely cinematic story driven trailer would captivate me. I've never had any doubt about the incredible story inside Suzuki's head. A story-esque trailer would capture the rich atmosphere of the series. The masterful musical score will no doubt set a very solemn tone.

A gameplay trailer would highlight the game's more exciting action. It would no doubt show the fights, minigames, side quests, training, and confrontation with Lan-Di himself. The music will probably be more intense and energetic which makes it more exciting. Which is how I'll feel after seeing such a trailer.

A mix of the two would simply be combining the best of both worlds.

I'd like to see a more representative 15 minutes of gameplay. The E3 footage was B-roll, meant for the media to talk over, cut snippets from etc. It was exciting for us, but it didn't feel like it was meant to be viewed in isolation, and the lack of music really hammers that home. I'd like to see the same area of the game, with music, without the jump cuts, and more exploration, instead of most of the time spent on gambling.

I don't really want to see any other areas from the game at this point -- I'd rather discover them for myself in under 4 months!

Whatever they choose to do, I hope anything they showcase features the Japanese dub.

No offense intended to anyone involved in the localisation and I totally understand the charm of the English voiceover, but based on what they have shown so far, it may come across as cheesy and fairly underwhelming to the average gamer.

Or a little of both?

I want a good trailer... something story focused, something cinematic, something serious (like the prophecy trailer) and not goofy (like the Magic and E3 trailers). If they can interweave some gameplay into it as well, that would be cool.

I want something that makes me feel the way the Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 trailers made me feel back in the early 2000s. So far, none of the Shenmue 3 trailers have really made me feel like that, other than perhaps the 2017 Gamescom trailer, which was obviously let down by the fact it was such an early and unfinished build.

I want a good trailer... something story focused, something cinematic, something serious (like the prophecy trailer) and not goofy (like the Magic and E3 trailers). If they can interweave some gameplay into it as well, that would be cool.

I want something that makes me feel the way the Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 trailers made me feel back in the early 2000s. So far, none of the Shenmue 3 trailers have really made me feel like that, other than perhaps the 2017 Gamescom trailer, which was obviously let down by the fact it was such an early and unfinished build.
What if they did a couple of trailers? They re do the 2017 one and then also release a new one with some extended gameplay etc in it

What if they did a couple of trailers? They re do the 2017 one and then also release a new one with some extended gameplay etc in it

Multiple trailers would be fantastic, although it might be better for the marketing campaign to stagger them.

It would be cool if we got a substantial 3/4 minute trailer that is very story focussed and cinematic, followed by a quick one minute gameplay trailer. Then they should release a new gameplay teaser, that is focussed on particular mechanics, every couple of weeks throughout September and October.

To be frank, I just don't see resources being allocated to another trailer almost 4 months before the launch date in November...but we may get some newer gameplay footage focusing on different aspects of Shenmue III...

Back