spud1897

Administrator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Destiny 2, Shenmue HD ;)
PSN
spud19870
Koch Media have confirmed that at Gamescom 2019 Shenmue III will be making an appearance.

Use this topic to discuss rumours, what you'd like to see, if any of you are going and more!

Note: Google translate shows Koch Media as Cook Media here.

Cheers @Tosh for sharing the link.

i personally think it would be the best strategy to make Shenmue 3 playable for everyone at Gamescom.
just walk to the booth and play it.
thats the easiest way to finally show that this project is not a "scam" but a real full game.
and if its playable for everyone there, that means that it has to be a more polished or a longer version
and not "just" some first look behind the scenes preview.
that would be great for more game articles, journalists and reports too
because it would be the first time that Shenmue 3 is open to the public.
if they do it that way, they have to release the backer demo simultaneously or as soon as possible
or otherwise all of the Gamescom impressions are meaningless because all we will hear about is the backer demo topic.

Awesome. I could be wrong but I don't think they'll dedicate what little dev time they have left to create another demo, so it may end up being the same stuff from E3, without the dumb time limit, which is what I'm expecting the backer demo to be as well. I think they'll just create an artificial "end", like defeating the bookie or whatever, and maybe block off a few areas so you can't venture too far from the goal at hand.

It would be the perfect time to release a Launch Trailer - It's the last big event prior to Shenmue III's release (Unless the Game Awards is early Novemeber...) so it really has to make an impact.

As for the demo, to be honest I'd prefer it to just released on the PS4 Store so it's more accesible. My concern is that some backers might whine about that being part of their KS exclusivity, but I'd hope they'd be able to see beyond that... the whole point of a demo is to offer a taster, so why not offer it to more!

I'm going on a limb and saying the demo will release, in whatever form, on 27th august.

Imagine a kick ass trailer and then here's the demo. Maybe stagger the release. Backers first then everyone else a week or so later.

Vivi Gamer You forgot the mention the TGS, that is the last real big Event before November, not the Gamescom.

I also hope that they will Show a new Trailer at the gamescom and the TGS. A gamescom demo would be nice as well, but I do not think that is going to happen at all.

Yus Net has limited resources, so they cannot Play the Stunts other big devs do all the time. (make a super polished demo only for a Event to Show off). in the past it seems that Yu-san and his Team have been to honest compared other devs. They just showed the game it's current state, and do not make something extra polished just for the Show..

Awesome. I could be wrong but I don't think they'll dedicate what little dev time they have left to create another demo, so it may end up being the same stuff from E3, without the dumb time limit, which is what I'm expecting the backer demo to be as well. I think they'll just create an artificial "end", like defeating the bookie or whatever, and maybe block off a few areas so you can't venture too far from the goal at hand.
The old demo already ended after you fought the bookie.

As for the demo, to be honest I'd prefer it to just released on the PS4 Store so it's more accesible. My concern is that some backers might whine about that being part of their KS exclusivity, but I'd hope they'd be able to see beyond that...

All evidence to date certainly points to a selfless and pragmatic response from backers. ?

It would be the perfect time to release a Launch Trailer - It's the last big event prior to Shenmue III's release (Unless the Game Awards is early Novemeber...) so it really has to make an impact.

As for the demo, to be honest I'd prefer it to just released on the PS4 Store so it's more accesible. My concern is that some backers might whine about that being part of their KS exclusivity, but I'd hope they'd be able to see beyond that... the whole point of a demo is to offer a taster, so why not offer it to more!

Oh they would whine like hell. I agree with you on a fundamental level, but that would break the promise of KS backers playing first (some people are already screaming scam because we haven't had it yet and the press have been able to play the game before us) and render the respective tier redundant, meaning backers really would be entitled to a refund or some kind of compensation.

I think the best case scenario would be to either release a demo to backers and then release it to everyone else two or three weeks later, OR release an exclusive expanded version of a demo to backers and provide a shorter, slimmed down one to everyone else.

Sorry but no, no and no.
It shouldn't be playable to the public now for a good reason:

Testing Shenmue III in a huge convention, in a waiting line for like 10 minutes is the very best way to kill the game.

On top of that, backers were promised demo before everyone else. Sure, journos dont count. But players ?
They should roll out a demo around Gamescom time for backers then on PS4/PC a month later for everyone.

You dont want people to test a game selling around its atmosphere, world building, and gameplay loops in a 10 minutes session in a smelly and noisy place.

The old demo already ended after you fought the bookie.
I know but actually beating him is a different thing entirely. It feels like that's going to be one of the first quests in the game, so to be able to complete that quest from start to finish (earn money, buy some moves, level up) would be a decent "trial" of the game.

I know but actually beating him is a different thing entirely. It feels like that's going to be one of the first quests in the game, so to be able to complete that quest from start to finish (earn money, buy some moves, level up) would be a decent "trial" of the game.
But it already ends after you beat him, thats my point.

Personally, I expect the demo to come out close to the release date. First to backers and then hopefully for everyone else. At this point it makes sense imo, the demo won't be used as a feedback tool for improvements but more as a marketing tool (and of course as a reward for backers).

You dont want people to test a game selling around its atmosphere, world building, and gameplay loops in a 10 minutes session

thats no a fixed rule, there were booths were you could play longer like Tekken 7 or Battlefield 1 for example
(20-30 minutes)
and i mean people waited in front of the Sekiro booth for like 3-5 hours just to play 10 minutes. a lot of them didnt even
win against the first enemy. does that sound great?
at Gamescom 2018 the visitors were able to play the Kingdom Come Deliverance DLC
"From the Ashes" where you can build a small village by doing missions or farming materials.
thats not a fast paced game at all. its just talking and walking. as long as the Shenmue 3 demo is working without problems
and there is a mission for the player, it will be fine. and Koch Media / Deep is no Ubisoft or Blizzard.
the times for the waiting queues are not comparable.

i dont think that "we" will gain anything (positive news) if they just show a new PC gaming show type of trailer.

thats no a fixed rule, there were booths were you could play longer like Tekken 7 or Battlefield 1 for example
(20-30 minutes)
and i mean people waited in front of the Sekiro booth for like 3-5 hours just to play 10 minutes. a lot of them didnt even
win against the first enemy. does that sound great?
at Gamescom 2018 the visitors were able to play the Kingdom Come Deliverance DLC
"From the Ashes" where you can build a small village by doing missions or farming materials.
thats not a fast paced game at all. its just talking and walking. as long as the Shenmue 3 demo is working without problems
and there is a mission for the player, it will be fine. and Koch Media / Deep is no Ubisoft or Blizzard.
the times for the waiting queues are not comparable.

i dont think that "we" will gain anything (positive news) if they just show a new PC gaming show type of trailer.

Even for those games, they had something going on. Tekken 7 and Battlefield are games you can get in a few minutes. You get the big idea.
Same for Sekiro which on top of that rid on the Dark Souls name.
As for Kingdom Come, it was still mostly a RPG with amazing visuals.

Shenmue is a game banking on installing an atmosphere, a setting, a cast of character. Even if you gave people 20 minutes, what would it be ? 20 minutes of walking, playing a few mini games and doing a subpar combat with a system that needs explanations.
For new comers, it's the best way to convince them not to play it.

Even for those games, they had something going on. Tekken 7 and Battlefield are games you can get in a few minutes. You get the big idea.
Same for Sekiro which on top of that rid on the Dark Souls name.
As for Kingdom Come, it was still mostly a RPG with amazing visuals.

Shenmue is a game banking on installing an atmosphere, a setting, a cast of character. Even if you gave people 20 minutes, what would it be ? 20 minutes of walking, playing a few mini games and doing a subpar combat with a system that needs explanations.
For new comers, it's the best way to convince them not to play it.

walking, talking, fighting and playing mini games is Shenmue.
if people dont like that at all, not even a little bit, it means that Shenmue is simply not a game for them.
and people at these events know that the gameplay sessions there are not comparable with your experience at home.
the articles for the 15 minute E3 demo werent super super harsh, we had some bad, a lot of neutral and good impressions,
so why should "normal" players hate it?
what else should they do at Gamescom? just show some trailers in a endless loop?
or a game presentation for small groups where someone is playing the game for them?
i dont think that thats a better approach. most people are happy when there is a real hands on opportunity.
they are not visiting Gamescom for trailers.

walking, talking, fighting and playing mini games is Shenmue.
if people dont like that at all, not even a little bit, it means that Shenmue is simply not a game for them.
and people at these events know that the gameplay sessions there are not comparable with your experience at home.
the articles for the 15 minute E3 demo werent super super harsh, we had some bad, a lot of neutral and good impressions,
so why should "normal" players hate it?
what else should they do at Gamescom? just show some trailers in a endless loop?
or a game presentation for small groups where someone is playing the game for them?
i dont think that thats a better approach. most people are happy when there is a real hands on opportunity.
they are not visiting Gamescom for trailers.

Walking, talking, fighting and doing mini games is part of the gameplay loops. It's part of the whole atmosphere. Doing forklift races in Shenmue or lucky hit un Shenmue II is part of the game. It's not THE game. It's all about immersion into a well built and compelling world. And for that it requires the best conditions. It's like reading a book about philosophy in a night club. It doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back