Shenmue III will be at Gamescom 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shenmue requires investment in the characters, world and story. GhostTrick is right, a playable demo at Gamescom does not lend itself well to that philosophy.

Walking, talking, fighting and doing mini games is part of the gameplay loops. It's part of the whole atmosphere. Doing forklift races in Shenmue or lucky hit un Shenmue II is part of the game. It's not THE game. It's all about immersion into a well built and compelling world. And for that it requires the best conditions. It's like reading a book about philosophy in a night club. It doesn't work.

but you didnt answer what they should do instead. what should they do at Gamescom
to boost positive impressions for as much people as possible. its not an event for the press.
Gamescom is one of the largest events for gaming on this planet and Shenmue 3 will there be probably only ones.
so if gameplay demos for everyone is not the best strategy, then what is the best strategy?
a booth with free pens and a trailer that nobody can hear because of the noise in the hall
and that everyone can watch online?

OK. So just take away the 15 minute time limit, block off certain areas if you have to, and you've got a proper trial version.

Did anyone actually beat the bookie?
I think I read about one person beating them. I forgot where. The demo makes it literally impossible to beat him if you dont train though. And yes, absolutely remove the 15 min time limit.

As long as the demo backer was released about 2 weeks before Gamescom, I would be ok with it being playable on the show floor. This will prevent any uproar that will 100% happen, right on cue, from the usual dark cloud crew.

Particularly how Deep Silver have their show floor set up, and how they present their playable demos at Gamescom, the Shenmue 3 E3 demo falls right in line with how they have presented previous live demos in the past, such as Yakuza. Same style of gameplay, same bracket of time etc.

In the immortal words of Stone Cold Steve Austin, hell yeah!

He would actually say something like,

"If ya wanna see me (unintelligible, sounding like his mouth is full of marshmallows or something), gimme a hell yeah!"

but you didnt answer what they should do instead. what should they do at Gamescom
to boost positive impressions for as much people as possible. its not an event for the press.
Gamescom is one of the largest events for gaming on this planet and Shenmue 3 will there be probably only ones.
so if gameplay demos for everyone is not the best strategy, then what is the best strategy?
a booth with free pens and a trailer that nobody can hear because of the noise in the hall
and that everyone can watch online?

Pretty simple: Trailer. And let everyone play it at home a month later.
Or a series of videos explaining the mechanics.
But letting people try it in a showfloor for 10 to 30 minutes ? Not a good plan

As long as the demo backer was released about 2 weeks before Gamescom, I would be ok with it being playable on the show floor. This will prevent any uproar that will 100% happen, right on cue, from the usual dark cloud crew.

Particularly how Deep Silver have their show floor set up, and how they present their playable demos at Gamescom, the Shenmue 3 E3 demo falls right in line with how they have presented previous live demos in the past, such as Yakuza. Same style of gameplay, same bracket of time etc.

The problem is that Yakuza is a game meant to enjoy faster because it's more of a spectacle. Over the top cutscenes, over the top brawler combats and accessible stuff. It doesn't ask as much investment as Shenmue.

Pretty simple: Trailer. And let everyone play it at home a month later.
Or a series of videos explaining the mechanics.
But letting people try it in a showfloor for 10 to 30 minutes ? Not a good plan

so the best opportunity for Shenmue 3 at a public event, Gamescom, is a booth with one new looped trailer
that you cant hear at all because of all the noise and people who want to enjoy the trailer
(if they even recognize it in all this "traffic") have to stop there to put on headphones
while everyone at home can just watch the trailer? thats the best strategy for a public hands on event?

The problem is that Yakuza is a game meant to enjoy faster because it's more of a spectacle. Over the top cutscenes, over the top brawler combats and accessible stuff. It doesn't ask as much investment as Shenmue.

No its not.

The series is brimming with content; the past demos have been slow-paced, with going to point A and point B, at your heart's content.

They also have some of the minigames available to play, to waste time.

Thus it is EXACTLY as 'mue would be.

so the best opportunity for Shenmue 3 at a public event, Gamescom, is a booth with one new looped trailer
that you cant hear at all because of all the noise and people who want to enjoy the trailer
(if they even recognize it in all this "traffic") have to stop there to put on headphones
while everyone at home can just watch the trailer? thats the best strategy for a public hands on event?

Yes it is. Because not everything is meant to be played at a public event.

Yes it is. Because not everything is meant to be played at a public event.

i dont think so. if they only have one trailer on a screen and you cant even hear dialogues or the music
because its all just a mixture of loud noise because of all the people and the other booths,
that makes Shenmue 3 pretty much meaningless at Gamescom.
people will walk by, see Shenmue 3 "ah look its the new Shenmue ...
excuse me, can we play Shenmue 3 here? No? oh okay, thanks bye."

how is "skipping" the event better than giving people something on the spot?

If they are careful with what they show then I think a demo can work.

Why not a What's Shenmue style demo with a fight, mini-games and mechanics. 30 mins if you do a small objective is enough to do and if you finish that within the time-frame the user can explore whatever area is open.

I agree it is difficult as Shenmue tries to immerse the player in the world and that takes time but with the right demo and things within in they can do so successfully I feel.

Based on what? Sorry, but I'm getting pretty tired of this. Disagreeing with absolutely anyone and everyone just for the sake of it. You do it in other topics also and quite frankly I am getting pretty fed up of it.

i dont think so. if they only have one trailer on a screen and you cant even hear dialogues or the music
because its all just a mixture of loud noise because of all the people and the other booths,
that makes Shenmue 3 pretty much meaningless at Gamescom.
people will walk by, see Shenmue 3 "ah look its the new Shenmue ...
excuse me, can we play Shenmue 3 here? No? oh okay, thanks bye."

how is "skipping" the event better than giving people something on the spot?

Based on some games are slower to start or that they rely on elements that means time is needed to enjoy them.

I'm not disagreeing with everyone. I just have a different opinion. I can agree on stuff, disagree on others.

Not every game is meant to be played on a show floor. Some are easier to get into. Others requires more time and better conditions.

Sorry to not get too hot on the showfloor idea. And it's not like I'm giving another idea to enjoy the game.

I've readed a lot of impressions. Negative ones from people who dont know the serie. Positive ones from people who knows the serie. And it's pretty easy to exemple why. The positive ones are saying one thing and all the same thing "This is Shenmue". "This is where we left the game 18 years ago". But those who dont know about it ? "So... This is Shenmue ?".

That E3 footage was great for people who know the serie, because we can see we're getting the extra we used to like and know what else to expect. From outsiders though ? It can be underwhelming.

The best thing Shenmue 3 can do right now is have a "Whats' Shenmue 3?" demo available on PSN/PC.

1. Create story specific to demo
  2. Set it in Chobu/Niaowu with a lot of NPCs roaming the streets and markets.
  3. Allow player to enter several quaters of Niaowu but block off others saying they will be explored in the full game.
  4. Allow players into the Niaowu arcade to play a few games while disabling almost every new Shenmue 3 game. Let them play QTE Title, Darts and Excite QTE.
  5. Let players interact with returning characters to catch up on the story. (i.e, talk to Ren, Shenhua, etc)
  6. No time limits.

Yes, this will upset backers but this will also help undecided players new to Shenmue.

Being in a completely royal village isnt gonna convince most people to buy this game, unfortunately. A demo needs to be lively. And although I enjoyed seeing the Bailu demo for what it was, lively it was not. (At least until the very end of the broll footage it wasnt)

That's fine, but they must issue it to backers first. People paid $100+ on the promise of a "trial version". They need to fulfill that promise or risk yet another controversy. Even if they released it a few weeks early for those backers, it will still cause upset. I mean, did anyone pay an extra $40 on top of the normal physical pledge to just get an ordinary demo that anyone can play if they wait a few weeks?

It's dumb though, because we're at the point where they should be promoting the game and issuing a demo to everyone if that's the route they want to go. The trial version should have been done as a beta demo, like Bloodstained did, and offered tp backers late last year or early this year.

Launch Trailer won't happen until a week or more before release.

But I would expect another trailer; maybe something just a little bit more meaty than what we've gotten so far. Just enough story beats and teases without going overboard (in some ways, I kind of wish they had saved the Lan Di reveal for a trailer closer to release...or maybe they should've kept him a surprise and not have shown him in any of the trailers)

And on the side; hopefully they release the playable trial for backers to try out. It would do a lot to win some good will after all the recent bullshit drama.

But yeah, realistically I just want another trailer giving us a better tease of what is to come and make it a good trailer to sell it beyond the fans. Personally speaking, the less I know the better; I could go without knowing anything about what is to come in SIII story wise, but I do feel they need to cut a better trailer than what they have been cutting so far for general audiences.

I just want to get my hands on that demo and try out the fighting system to see how it feels for myself.

The best thing Shenmue 3 can do right now is have a "Whats' Shenmue 3?" demo available on PSN/PC.

1. Create story specific to demo
  2. Set it in Chobu/Niaowu with a lot of NPCs roaming the streets and markets.
  3. Allow player to enter several quaters of Niaowu but block off others saying they will be explored in the full game.
  4. Allow players into the Niaowu arcade to play a few games while disabling almost every new Shenmue 3 game. Let them play QTE Title, Darts and Excite QTE.
  5. Let players interact with returning characters to catch up on the story. (i.e, talk to Ren, Shenhua, etc)
  6. No time limits.
Yes, this will upset backers but this will also help undecided players new to Shenmue.

Being in a completely royal village isnt gonna convince most people to buy this game, unfortunately. A demo needs to be lively. And although I enjoyed seeing the Bailu demo for what it was, lively it was not. (At least until the very end of the broll footage it wasnt)

That would be great...that to me would be ideal.

If not that though, I was gonna say maybe pull a Yakuza and give people the first segment of the game as the demo...like maybe 30 minutes of the opening or something....but then again, with Shenmue, that might not be the best idea given how Shenmue is all about taking a knee at times. Who knows how long it will take to let us even get to Bailu and open up the game after getting out of the cave itself?

The "What's Shenmue III?" idea is a pretty good idea though. Have a bit of a quest line like the original "What's Shenmue?" as well. But this time it maybe feeds into a hint of what is to come in the full game. Give a small taste of QTE, Free Form Fighting, Free Time and Adventure mode in a small quest line that sees you hunting down someone that may be in the final game (like have the demo end with finding someone important to the story and giving a tease that will be answered in SIII)

Also, let us see the Affinity system in action a little bit as we really haven't seen any of that in action yet.

Or do something cute, like you're hunting down Yu Suzuki (although I don't know if Yu Suzuki is the type that would put himself in a game in that Hideo Kojima way)

Last edited:
Personally I'm open to anything for the demo. But I hope they will take care to make it a separate experience from the main game - like completely separate. Because you know that people will be data mining as much as possible. It would suck if it was like the Yakuza demo a while back that somehow easily unlocked into the entire game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back