Shenmue III will be at Gamescom 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
if Shenmue 3 has a real public booth at Gamescom 2019 (we dont know yet)
there is a really high chance that it will be playable.

if we look at the hall of Koch Media / Deep Silver / Sega at Gamescom 2018,
there was Metro Exodus, Total War Three Kingdoms, Football Manager 2019, Dead or Alive 6,
F1 2018, Team Sonic Racing, Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise, Kingdom Come Deliverance,
Pathfinder Kingmaker, Dakar 18 ...
everything in that hall from these three partners / publishers / distributors was playable for everyone.

Personally I'm open to anything for the demo. But I hope they will take care to make it a separate experience from the main game - like completely separate. Because you know that people will be data mining as much as possible. It would suck if it was like the Yakuza demo a while back that somehow easily unlocked into the entire game.

Which is funny, because the Japanese demo was a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME, with the same characters in different roles (and Kiryu even had a different outfit).

Why they didn't just localise that for the Western demo, I have no clue.

Creating a spefic demo just for showing how the game works sounds nice in theory for sure but I do not think they have the money for that. So far they have just shown the game in its purest form, with no showing off. I think they will keep it this way. So some genuine gameplay footage and nice trailer should be all we get which is fine.

It is too late too expect some miracles but Ys is going to put out some weird marketing tricks all of the sudden.

Might not be the way to get the attention off non Shenmue Fans but we have to be realistic. Marketing is not going to change all of a sudden.

Keep also in mind that the demo is supposed to come for PC, in other words through Epic store. Could that mean some time may be necessary to tweak and optimize the demo build for the new launcher?

I have a feeling the trial version will end up being a more polished version of the demo that press have been given the chance to play, perhaps without the fifteen minute time limit. Given the size of the team and the resources at their disposal, it wouldn’t make too much sense to create a completely different demo when they already have one made.

While i don't personally care about the demo version promised to backers, I sincerely hope they either a) make a demo for backers BEFORE Gamescom and then allow anyone to play it at Gamescom; or b) not have a playable demo at Gamescom. If they do indeed put a playable demo there before giving anything to backers, we will have another calamity on our hands, and this is NOT what the game needs right now.

Did anyone actually play the Yakuza 6 demo? A 40GB download to watch nearly an hour's worth of cutscenes to get into Kamurocho then nearly all of it was gated off. A complete waste of time - for a demo meant to entice new players (who probably started with Zero) an impenetrable wall of cutscenes and characters from games not even available on current gen did nothing for me.

The 15minute set up at E3 seems a much better idea. To me that showcased a small part of everything that encapsulates Shenmue. I would keep the same format but put the fighting/training first as that is more dynamic and a more exciting part to show. Polish that up and stick that on the Gamescom show floor and it will find fans. Release it a week earlier to backers and they've fulfilled the kickstarter promise to boot.

Last edited:
While i don't personally care about the demo version promised to backers, I sincerely hope they either a) make a demo for backers BEFORE Gamescom and then allow anyone to play it at Gamescom; or b) not have a playable demo at Gamescom. If they do indeed put a playable demo there before giving anything to backers, we will have another calamity on our hands, and this is NOT what the game needs right now.
I have to say as much as I want the demo I'd not be too upset personally if it didnt come.

However I agree if they dont do this for backers first it will be another pr shitstorm. Hopefully my prediction is correct lol.

Did anyone actually play the Yakuza 6 demo? A 40GB download to watch nearly an hour's worth of cutscenes to get into Kamurocho then nearly all of it was gated off. A complete waste of time - for a demo meant to entice new players (who probably started with Zero) an impenetrable wall of cutscenes and characters from games not even available on current gen did nothing for me.

The 15minute set up at E3 seems a much better idea. To me that showcased a small part of everything that encapsulates Shenmue. I would keep the same format but put the fighting/training first as that is more dynamic and a more exciting part to show. Polish that up and stick that on the Gamescom show floor and it will find fans. Release it a week earlier to backers and they've fulfilled the kickstarter promise to boot.

Its because it was the whole game was in that download and the release day just had an unlock code.

If you were early enough before the lock was put in place, you could've actually played the whole game! lol

so, i looked around a bit more and i noticed something.
another german website posted the same information that Koch Media will be there with
Wasteland 3, Shenmue 3, GRID, Bloodlines 2 and The Surge 2.
Grid is from Codemasters, Bloodlines 2 is from Paradox Interactive, The Surge 2 is from Focus Home Interactive
(Koch Media is just the distribution partner).

only Wasteland 3 and Shenmue 3 are from their gaming label Deep Silver.
Deep Silver has no other announced games that fit into the compatible release time frame.
Shenmue 3 November, Wasteland 3 early 2020. thats perfect.
so only two games instead of the four they had in 2018.

i dont want to create any hype and theres no guarantee at all,
but i think these two Deep Silver games fit exactly into their typical Gamescom execution
because they always show games that will be released soonish. all of the games they showed at recent Gamescom events
were playable, thats why i believe that Shenmue 3 will be playable at Gamescom 2019.

i checked old german articles about Deep Silver / Koch Media and everything they had at Gamescom 2018, 2017, 2016,
2015 and 2014 was playable. everything.
and there is a connection to 2019 - Wasteland 2 was playable at Gamescom 2015.
both games, Wasteland 2&3 and Shenmue 3, are Kickstarter games.

again, no guarantee, i cant confirm anything, but there is a real obvious pattern.

Last edited:
https://www.gamers.de/2019/07/14/gamescom-2019-rueckt-naeher/

"The most interesting part about Gamescom is which publishers are going to join the event.
The complete Line Up for every Gamescom will be announced just a couple of days before the event starts,
thats why we can give you only a small overview about some publishers and games
where it is already confirmed that they will take part."

Koch Media (Wasteland 3, Shenmue 3, GRID, Bloodlines 2, The Surge 2)

So who's going then? Would be nice to know so we can organise a meet-up.

Personally I'm not sure yet but probably Friday if demo gets announced

I feel like the backer demo needs to come at least 3-4 weeks in advance of any public demo, or there will be even more horrendous bullshit to deal with...which basically gives them a week or so from now. If the demo doesn't come with the next KS update...ehhh, I don't even want to think about it to be honest :cautious: I personally wouldn't give a shit, of course, but we all know this game doesn't need the vocal minority to flare up again.

If Deep Silver always make their games playable as Gamescom, there's absolutely no way they're going to change that for Shenmue III. They've already proven time and time again they don't think of the backers when making these promotional decisions.

i think if Shenmue 3 is really at Gamescom and 100% open to the public
(we dont know that, but Gamescom isnt really an event for behind closed doors stuff)
than Shenmue 3 will be playable.
it wouldnt surprise me if they announce this 3-5 days before Gamescom
and then the backer demo will be available 1 day before Gamescom.

Gamestar (the biggest german website and magazine for videogames) released an article about Gamescom today
and its the same thing:
Koch Media / Deep Silver - Hall 9, Shenmue 3 & Wasteland 3.
https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/gamecom-2019-videospiele-publisher-angekuendigt,3346818.html

to be honest, at this point i would be more surprised if Shenmue 3 isnt playable at Gamescom.
i just hope that they have a plan for that backer thing or this topic will inflame "the community" very soon.

They might well address Gamescom in the coming weeks with an update with what they may or may not be doing.

The backer demo is dangerous ground if it doesn't come to backers first.

It really depends on the definition and interpretation of a 'trial' version and the definition and interpretation of "being the first to play Shenmue 3".

A trial version doesn't have to be a demo. It could mean releasing a pre-patch version of the game to backers a week or two before release. Being the first to play it could mean being the first to play the final (albeit without the day one patch), complete version of the game, not just a demo.

2K Sports release collector's editions of their WWE 2K games, which is released to those who purchase it 5 days before the official release. It is marketed as "be the first people to play WWE 2K19". It's not taken literally as meaning be the first to play any build of the game and people at events obviously get to play demos well before that.

I get it's not a fair comparison, because Shenmue was initiated through a crowdfunding campaign, but at the end of the day, a publisher is now on board and it's their job to market the game as they see fit at events, and it's up to Ys Net to work out what they want the "trial" version to be and when they feel it should be released to backers.

It really depends on the definition and interpretation of a 'trial' version and the definition and interpretation of "being the first to play Shenmue 3".

thats true but we know what will happen if Shenmue 3 is playable at Gamescom
but not for backers at home. even if the feedback at Gamescom would be super positive,
it will still be overshadowed by the negativity on the internet. it will be the same thing again,
i can already smell the Youtube videos and articles about the next "Shenmue KS scam".

if YS Net and DS will say something like "the backer demo will be released before the retail release date,
so backers can check out the game before the retail release date"
but the game was already playable in August at Gamescom -
it will backfire.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back