Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

Delusional is pretty strong- it's a collation of positive signs that show a desire to continue the series at least. Of course none of it is confirmation but it's certainly not delusional to be optimistic.
Yeah, definitely. Were we delusional for grasping at every scrap of Shenmue III mentioned in any article circa 2003 and beyond hoping it was confirmation?

How come so many of your posts in the resetera thread are so negative? I know that place is where hope goes to die but it's odd reading your positive and informative posts here then seeing you being pretty down on the game there.
Resetera is just good for keeping up with the news.

Other than that, it's not a good place.

It would be bonkers not to make Shenmue IV at this stage. The stars are pretty much aligned to make it at a reduced cost and lets face it - the series has such a hardcore fanbase that surely the bean counters at Deep Silver probably come to the conclusion that it's easy money.

Reading this thread has made me very happy :)

Yeah, definitely. Were we delusional for grasping at every scrap of Shenmue III mentioned in any article circa 2003 and beyond hoping it was confirmation?
Well no, it kept the dream of S3 alive and forums etc active... Probably closer to delusional back then though considering crowd funding didn't exist and S1 and S2 had lost Sega a tonne of money...

I know we don't know accurate sales figures for S3 but although profit might be lower than hoped I find it unlikely that any one party has actually lost any money on S3, based on the funding structure.

Epic's exclusivity amount is the one bit of funding I'm most curious about and could be hard to recoup for them, or could cause not all the amount to be paid out as would likely have sales clauses etc. As I have stated elsewhere though this agreement could include S4 anyway as the deal clearly came late on in S3's development and possible didn't actually fund anything used in S3- maybe Epic money was to pay for existing overspend or is already stated for development of S4....

Mhhh... Maybe not a Kickstarter, but another crowdfunding platform? I mean, I do hope YsNet this time doesn't need a Kickstarter... But at the same time, I think crowdfunding a part of the project would make me feel more involved. In Shenmue 3, knowing that also thanks to my help the game was made possible... It makes me happy and proud. I would love to contribute again to Yu Suzuki's dream.

Saw the reply this morning. I think it's more of a case that Lakshya are trying to back down from their original statement, aka they aren't announcing Shenmue IV, so they just made a "we look forward to it happening" instead. I also think that the mentioning of a kickstarter was also bundled into this backtracking statement, and that we shouldn't look much into it.

Saw the reply this morning. I think it's more of a case that Lakshya are trying to back down from their original statement, aka they aren't announcing Shenmue IV, so they just made a "we look forward to it happening" instead. I also think that the mentioning of a kickstarter was also bundled into this backtracking statement, and that we shouldn't look much into it.
It's kind of hilarious that they can't even backtrack without causing even more speculation.

"W-what?? They're going to do kickstarter again???"

This better be a mistake, like maybe they meant 'start' instead of 'kickstart'.

No way in hell would a KickStarter be successful this time around.

God, I've gone from 90% sure that Shenmue IV was gonna happen to fearing the worst. :crying:

EDIT - of course, if they have no specific information on IV, they won't know if it's gonna go to KickStarter or not. God damn I hope they clarify and calm my nerves!

I'm sure they meant nothing by it and it was just poor word usage. I suspect a second Kickstarter would be a very big flop, unfortunately. Might get up to a million, but not enough to make another game.

This better be a mistake, like maybe they meant 'start' instead of 'kickstart'.

No way in hell would a KickStarter be successful this time around.

God, I've gone from 90% sure that Shenmue IV was gonna happen to fearing the worst. :crying:

EDIT - of course, if they have no specific information on IV, they won't know if it's gonna go to KickStarter or not. God damn I hope they clarify and calm my nerves!
lol I wouldn't read too much into their wording tbh. You can see from their first message that they don't have info on Shenmue IV (and if they do, they've been told to make a statement to deny that, which they've done poorly with this Kickstarter wording lol. It was probably meant to just be a "We have no info, but would love to help if it happens"). It would be funny if they have to put out another statement to re-re-clarify :p I'd love that to be honest!

It would be funny if they have to put out another statement to re-re-clarify :p I'd love that to be honest!

"Forget what we said. We don't know anything about a Shenmue IV Kickstarter. But we really hope to be a part of Deep Silver's newly funded project though.

Oh, oh crap..."

Back