Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

Some major rumblings that it is Sony who has the major acquisition. People think it could be Sega here also(lots of switcheroo in speculation)

I'm not a fan of moneyhats, yet they have been cozy with Sega for Yakuza. Either way, it could benefit Shenmue no matter which platform snags them(if they are even considering selling into a first party role)

We shall see in a few weeks.

Even better! Fantasize much more about Sega Playstation than the Sega XBOX. Imagine Saturn and Playstation capabilities/libraries combined. Yikes! Dreamcast hybridized with PS2 isn't a bad idea either, although there i do admit preferring them separated.

Some major rumblings that it is Sony who has the major acquisition. People think it could be Sega here also(lots of switcheroo in speculation)

I'm not a fan of moneyhats, yet they have been cozy with Sega for Yakuza. Either way, it could benefit Shenmue no matter which platform snags them(if they are even considering selling into a first party role)

We shall see in a few weeks.

Or it could kill Shenmue IV.
Why ?
Shenmue III happened because SEGA has a policy of lending dormant IPs to 3rd parties.
We saw it with Streets of Rage, Panzer Dragoon, Wonderboy and now Shenmue III.
Would a 1st party do the same ? Highly unlikely. And Shenmue definitely isn't a big enough IP for them to care about making a new game entry. Heck, they were asked before and they refused. When you know that both companies already have big IPs that are neglected, that doesn't inspire confidence at all.

Silly question.... where did these rumours come from?
A few months ago Phil Spencer said that they are still looking to acquire more studios for their first party exclusive line-up. He went on to specifically say that they really want a team from Asia as they feel like there was a lack of that sort of content in the current gen.
During Xbox's last big event (XO19), they also announced a number of games coming to their platform such as Phantasy Star Online 2.0 and Yakuza 0,1,2 etc.

I think the whole Sega rumour was mostly born from the above two things, and that people took those and ran with it lol. That combined with what GhostTrick said pretty much sums it up.

Source.

Mmm I don't think that Sony or MS can buy Sega Sammy Holdings at this point without losing A LOT of money
I can'think of any SEGA IP that has enough value for Microsoft or Sony to spend billions of dollars buying Sega. We're not talking Mario, Zelda or Pokemon here, as much as I personally love Sega.

I can'think of any SEGA IP that has enough value for Microsoft or Sony to spend billions of dollars buying Sega. We're not talking Mario, Zelda or Pokemon here, as much as I personally love Sega.
Only Sonic in terms of mass appeal. Though having Yakuza, Shenmue, Streets of Rage etc on your books is enticing.

Unfortunately, I think Sega damned Sonic with the multitude of horrible Sonic games over the past 20 years. I don't think those games sell a fraction of a AAA Nintendo IP. I guess you have to take the portfolio as a whole, but even stuff like Yakuza doesn't sell that much. Microsoft has 'fuck you' money, though, and that's always a thing if they want to just take whole companies off the market.

The Sega idea was speculation based on the leak that MS and Sony were eyeing Japanese developer acquisitions.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to believe, if anything, it's Kojima Productions for Sony. I don't see Sega really going to one platform.

Then again, both of them can probably write a lot of 0s on those checks. Who knows.

I don't think it would make sense for Sega to became first-party developers for anyone at this point. The company overall is in a sound position financially (even if I think they made a loss last year) and has a number of profitable IPs on both console and PC sides.

Of course, anything could happen if either MS or Sony are willing to put out enough cash, but I'm rather spectical about these rumours.

If Sony is serious about expanding their VR content (and they are) Sega would be a great acquisition for them as they have a lot of IP's that would convert very well into VR. Especially their lightgun games and Space Harrier.

One day I decided to play Shenmue 2 on my VR headset and it added another level of immersion to the game I didn't think was possible despite the fact it's not intentionally made to play in VR.

If Sony is serious about expanding their VR content (and they are) Sega would be a great acquisition for them as they have a lot of IP's that would convert very well into VR. Especially their lightgun games and Space Harrier.

One day I decided to play Shenmue 2 on my VR headset and it added another level of immersion to the game I didn't think was possible despite the fact it's not intentionally made to play in VR.

Was that on PSVR? Will need to give that a shot.

SEGA won't be acquired by anyone. Should they do it, they would see their sales cut to one third (since they sell on MS, Nintendo and Sony platforms). It would make no sense financially.

Back