Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

Gaming press

"Yu Suzuki confirms Shenmue 4 will be another kickstarter - Epic also involved and fans money will be stolen. Call the police."
Oh God, I can see it already.

Nah, I think that's a misinterpretation by a company who chose the wrong wording. IMO, the majority of the assets required to make Shenmue III were coveted in the Kickstarter.

I don't believe that Shenmue IV will have any type of crowdfunding option. Kingdom Come's sequel was greenlit some time ago and no subsequent Kickstarter has shown up.

I believe Shenmue IV is probably a done deal, as he probably planned on developing III and IV relatively close together. Didn't I and II release pretty close to one another(i.e. a year or two at best)?

I think it'll be on PS4 with only enhancements for those who have a PS5, as a developer on ResetERA said this about next-gen only games vs support for the current gen that is ending:

" ... Most devs / pubs won't throw away a 150 million install base. It will take a year or two for that to happen to the most demanding AAA, let alone smaller scope games."

It'll be PS4. *If* he pulls off the miracle if miracles and finishes the story with FIVE games, I'd say would be next gen only.

What an ending. Dreamcast, Xbox, PS4, PS5. 4 different consoles to finish the series.

*Edit* Dreamcast was still part of the sixth console gen, I forgot. Too old now.

Last edited:
We will get Shenmue 4 but :

1.Either as a Shenmue experience game.(An open world game with lots of side activities)

2.Or a downgraded version.(A linear game with limited amount of side activities.)

Also consider that a good part of the money of Shenmue III went into the creation of YsNet. Before the E3 announcement, YsNet was just... 5 people? Including Yu Suzuki. In a small office of Tokyo. If I recall correctly, for the first 6-8 months after the E3, they basically went on builinding the team and getting the equipment... the real development began later. Now the team is ready and either they're working on the DLCs or Shenmue 4. For sure YsNet is not wasting time and money :) they would either disband the development team, or have them work at once on a new project.

I finally got around to finishing the game today so finally I can come and have a look around here and get on board the Shenmue IV hype train :) Some interesting stuff indeed and nice to see it all in one place, I think the most compelling evidence would be the trip to Shanghai post production, he's not really working on other stuff is he? Especially with a China theme...

1.Either as a Shenmue experience game.(An open world game with lots of side activities)

2.Or a downgraded version.(A linear game with limited amount of side activities.)
After S3, I'm almost hoping for the second option with a game that really focuses on "inward" rather than focusing on "outward" and ending up shallow like S3 did.

given Yu has been quoted as saying he wants to use his experience gained in making S3 towards making a bigger more comprehensive open world game, id presume it will be more likely option 1.

BTW, does Ys Net really need to make new NPCs for the background characters ?
They can just use NPCs of 3. Modify them a little and just insert them in the game.
given Yu has been quoted as saying he wants to use his experience gained in making S3 towards making a bigger more comprehensive open world game, id presume it will be more likely option 1.
Yeah, I'm even beginning to think that if he gets a very low budget, he will just turn cutscenes into pictures with voice acting instead of making the game smaller in scope.

Been seeing little and vague hints around the web(maybe reputable, maybe not so much) that Microsoft may be in the market to "moneyhat" Sega into their first party repertoire.

At least that seems to be the interpretation of *who* the developer is.

I can't say it is for certain, as I've no idea the credibility of the source(though they did peg PS5 info at CES, albeit not a lot of it, and the PS4 Pro a couple years back).

Rumor is it's a JP developer and would break the internet..

I really hope it isn't true.

Last edited:
If it means more and better Sega games I’m for it. I’m partial to Sony just because I’ve exclusively owned their stuff the last couple gens, but if Microsoft’s got the games I’ll go with Microsoft. This is totally dumb and probably naive, but imagine if MS got back into the Japanese market by branding their console the Sega Xbox. Better than the MS name.

Never been an Xbox guy myself so I'd prefer that not to happen. Playstation has been the platform to go with if you want to get games from Japanese developers but Sega switching teams would complicate things on that front a lot.

I've had the thought about Sega XBOX for many years ever since I learned about the offer Gates refused; to put GDrom firmware into the DVD drive for DC games and using SegaNET rather than building up LIVE.

Shoulda been done back then, too little too late now.

Fantasy alternate universe would've had XBOX released with Seganet and GD lens in the West--perhaps keep Dreamcast around as a $100 or less as a budget option and for the loyal fanbase like myself, invested more than CE integration by MS. In Japan, though, continue supporting it fully with MS games, XBOX never should've been released in Japan at all.

Last edited:
Back