Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

Yeah, I'm not interested in even entertaining the idea until Yu himself says another game just isn't happening.
There's then the question of whether Yu Suzuki would ever say that public ally. There's still a large number of us out there wanting Shenmue 4 so it then comes down to whether he can get the funding to do it.

They need a lot more money to make it like we all want it. I try to relate to the people who can make these decisions. If I had that kind of cash, and I knew it wasn't gonna be an investment since I'd lose the money. I would prefer giving it to a good charity.

Perhaps this is just my inner fan speaking, but if I were an investor and Shenmue III bombed, I wouldn't hesitate to invest in a Shenmue IV. The reward for me isn't money, it's investing in an experience like no other. I once said that if I had to carry this franchise on my back alone then I would.

If Shenmue's future is in other media then so be it. I will support Shenmue as an anime, comic, or whatever. However since it started out as a video game series, I'd like to see it end as one.

That's the issue. It's much more likely that Shenmue will die in limbo than Suzuki coming out and admitting that he won't be able to make anymore games.

Even if we get a S4 it's almost certainly going to be the last one. That means we either are left with another cliffhanger and no S5 to end it or he rushes to wrap up the story in one more installment and it ends up being bad.

It may come down to having some kind of plot summary or comic etc. to end the story or nothing at all. I think the support of the community to get that closure is required though. Without it Shenmue may just die with a whimper and everyone will move on. For those that care about the story (I assume most of us) it would be nice to get some closure in some kind of format after all these years of waiting.

That's the issue. It's much more likely that Shenmue will die in limbo than Suzuki coming out and admitting that he won't be able to make anymore games.

Even if we get a S4 it's almost certainly going to be the last one. That means we either are left with another cliffhanger and no S5 to end it or he rushes to wrap up the story in one more installment and it ends up being bad.

It may come down to having some kind of plot summary or comic etc. to end the story or nothing at all. I think the support of the community to get that closure is required though. Without it Shenmue may just die with a whimper and everyone will move on. For those that care about the story (I assume most of us) it would be nice to get some closure in some kind of format after all these years of waiting.

Maybe Yu can just skip ahead to Shenmue 6 to do the ending properly?

It's not like we need Shenmue 4 or 5 about how Ryo fights thugs from the yellow jaguars or green sharks. Those stories can be told in a manga.

Perhaps this is just my inner fan speaking, but if I were an investor and Shenmue III bombed, I wouldn't hesitate to invest in a Shenmue IV. The reward for me isn't money, it's investing in an experience like no other. I once said that if I had to carry this franchise on my back alone then I would.

I've always said if I was a millionaire I'd just throw a blank cheque at Yu so that he can make the games he always intended to make. It's unjust that a veteran like him can't get the financial backing because games like Shenmue are just too unique/brilliant for the general gaming public to understand. They are happy with the same old rehashed COD type shite.

It's not like we need Shenmue 4 or 5 about how Ryo fights thugs from the yellow jaguars or green sharks. Those stories can be told in a manga.
The color yellow was already used. Only ones left could be orange, purple, or green... Or maybe he can go with emotions like we saw with the mad angels.... perhaps Sorrowful Demons?

lol. Yeah S3 did make me question why this series needs to be so drawn out. I think ideally what should be released is the original scripts. that would give the summary of the original stories without the added filler thrown in.

Anybody who would be satisfied with seeing the rest of the story finished through animation, movies or a book needs their heads testing 🤪

With the alternative being a game that due to budget limitations has a piss poor story narration and characters that are a shadow of what they should be?

Did we already forget that Niao Sun, one of the most important characters, got thrown in the game with no introduction, no weight and without even stating her name?Same goes for Ren minus the name part.

Forgive me, but If you would rather have that maybe it’s your head that needs some tests.

What makes you think it'd be any better in a book or animation? :ROFLMAO:

When I think about Shenmue 4 on a business sight, it's really hard for me not to think Yu Suzuki , who is I think a minimum clever, didn't plan and negociate the return of Shenmue as several games and just managed to make return Shenmue 3 with the risk he already experienced after Shenmue 2 , namely the risk to wait for years and years before being able to do develop a sequel. If he was 40 years old I would still understand , but considering his age I think it would be a mistake from Yu Suzuki to believe he could have relaunch the interest for Shenmue with the Shenmue 3 he offered, or else he would have given a much more epic Shenmue 3, much more story oriented. That's why I think S4 at least is almost secured
That's what I would have done as an entrepreneur

I really want an improved version of Shenmue 3 (a "director's cut," if you will) over a Shenmue 4.
As good as this sounds best I'm expecting is a "complete edition" with all DLC.

I have a great idea on how Shenmue 4 can be made, this time without resorting to Kickstarter.

Yu should go to Sega and tell them that he will assume the entire financial risk of making Shenmue 4 in exchange for Sega purchasing the game from him for publishing rights as long as the finished game meets the high quality standards set by the first 2 games.

This arrangement is no risk to Sega because if the game's costs exceed the budget it's not Sega's problem, they would not be obligated to purchase the game until it is completed.

Then Yu can borrow the money to fund the game's development by using Sega's agreed upon purchase price as collateral.

Last edited:
How about Sega just support the developer who gave them so much over the their history instead of turning their back on him while humping Yakuza?

If they could throw $20 million at a cancelled Shenmue Online then they sure as hell could have thrown that at Shenmue 3 that was actually released and able to turn a profit.

All the interesting stuff coming out of Sega at the moment is subcontracted. It's not like just Shenmue got the shaft from them, so did pretty much everything else.

My Dreamcast collection is like 80% first party titles.

Chu Chu Rocket
Crazy Taxi
Daytona USA 2001
Dynamite Cop
Headhunter
House of the Dead
Jet Set Radio
NHL 2K
Samba Di Amigo
Sega Rally 2
Shenmue
Shenmue 2
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Virtua Fighter 3
Virtua Tennis
Zombie Revenge

All those franchises bar Sonic are dead

Then you have stuff like

Fighters Megamix
Golden Axe
Shinobi
Virtua Cop
Outrun
Nights
Alex Kidd
Altered Beast
Comix Zone

I could go on
All dead

My PS4 has Alien Isolation, Sonic Mania, Yakuza Zero and Kiwami 1 & 2 and I didn't rate the last two either. So a movie licensed game, a Sonic game, and 3 games from the same series, of which one was outstanding and the other two were alright in 7 years

We're lucky that they have finally seen the value in old IPs so we're actually getting new stuff like Panzer, HOTD, and SoR4.

The risk taking Sega we loved from 1985 - 2000 is long gone and will never return

We were lucky to get Shenmue 3 at all and I love it dearly despite its problems

Last edited:
Yu can use the money he borrows make the game... he can pay it back with the money Sega gives him for purchasing the game from him once it's completed.

How do you expect him to borrow 10 to 15 or even 20 millions ? Why would SEGA purchase it ?
In fact, why wouldn't they just simply fund it if they plan to purchase it ?

SEGA's issue isn't about money. It's not about risk. It's just about opportunity cost.

Why would they put 10 to 20 millions in a Shenmue IV that may just break even when they could make 1 or even 2 Yakuza games that'll make more money ?

Back