Shenmue Watch Collection

Hey folks!

For a long time, I dreamt of having a Timex watch like Ryo’s. A few years ago, I bought my first one for a great price on eBay. I was satisfied for a while, but as I started to learn more about the watch, I became interested in collecting all of the different variations of it.

Early on, I'd pick one up here or there. Since COVID hit, my collection has expanded pretty rapidly to include multiple “new old stock” examples of Ryo’s watch (and a few variants) as well as a number of like-new examples of variants that I’ve seen only rarely.

I believe I have the largest collection of these anywhere (mostly because of how silly and nerdy this is), but other than the rough timeframe of their release and discontinuation, I know little about them. I’ve been attempting to contact folks at Timex but have been unsuccessful. My hunt for the Shenmue promo version continues as well. One day it shall be mine.

In any case, if you’re interested in what I do know about them, I’m happy to answer any questions. :) Let me know which is your favorite!

1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg
4.jpeg5.jpeg

Last edited:
Been eyeing up a Timex recently. I would actually like the one from Shenmue, but not really willing to dedicate so much of my life searching for one then spending like £500-1k getting hold of it. I'm already spending too much on trainers atm.

Been eyeing up a Timex recently. I would actually like the one from Shenmue, but not really willing to dedicate so much of my life searching for one then spending like £500-1k getting hold of it. I'm already spending too much on trainers atm.
You're right that you need persistence and patience to snag one, but you can definitely get them for a lot less than £500.

Thanks! Yeah, those are from Timex's Reef Gear collection, which is a sort of sub-family of the Expedition. They use the same movement and have the same, sad 50M of water resistance (which is barely OK for washing hands). Kind of a ridiculous name in that light.
I do like they picked a very Sega Blue. I occasionally search for this watch (I have one of the more common white face variant) but never seen one of those blue ones on eBay UK in the last 3 years. Might be region specific?

I managed to find one of the white versions not long ago, Hope to find the black one too at some point.

Attachments

• timex1.jpg
    timex1.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 13
I managed to find one of the white versions not long ago, Hope to find the black one too at some point.
That’s a nice one! It’s been pretty dry on eBay for a few months on the black ones. I’ll keep an eye out for ya. :)

I picked up this one recently, I believe it is the T43371 but as it does not have the original strap I am not sure.

Is anyone able to confirm?

IMG_4324.jpg

I picked up this one recently, I believe it is the T43371 but as it does not have the original strap I am not sure.

Is anyone able to confirm?
Yep, congrats! Nice find. :) At one point, there were NOS straps floating around on eBay, but it looks like they've all sold out. (They were quite expensive, from $75-100.) That strap is a nice replacement.

Yep, congrats! Nice find. :) At one point, there were NOS straps floating around on eBay, but it looks like they've all sold out. (They were quite expensive, from $75-100.) That strap is a nice replacement.
Thanks, yes it would be nice to find an original strap replacement one day. Great collection by the way!

The price on that is absurd. It has a replacement, non-Shenmue strap, a random Timex box from another watch, and it’s in mediocre condition.
I’d pay that much for a NIB Shenmue model, but not for this frankenstein.

Edit: oh, and the alarm doesn’t even work!

The price on that is absurd. It has a replacement, non-Shenmue strap, a random Timex box from another watch, and it’s in mediocre condition.
I’d pay that much for a NIB Shenmue model, but not for this frankenstein.

Edit: oh, and the alarm doesn’t even work!
Hey there! Thanks for the feedback

The watch was actually in worse condition with a dead battery and a completely different strap. I spent months trying to get it back to good shape and even hunting for the original Timex 43371 strap just to try and get this insanely rare watch back to some type of authenticity.. Even cleaned up the glass on the face..

These things take alot of time and care.. And some people really appreciate it. My prices have always been fair and yes some items are more expensive.. But generally my items are cheapest on ebay and best quality.. And I've made alot of friends on the way. I am a huge shenmue fan and have been literally since day one.

Sorry for the long post but I am passionate about my hobby and shenmue in general and I do read all feedback I can when it comes to my small hobby of retroimportgamer

Take care

Last edited:
Hey there! Thanks for the feedback

The watch was actually in worse condition with a dead battery and a completely different strap. I spent months trying to get it back to good shape and even hunting for the original Timex 43371 strap just to try and get this insanely rare watch back to some type of authenticity.. Even cleaned up the glass on the face..

These things take alot of time and care.. And some people really appreciate it. My prices have always been fair and yes some items are more expensive.. But generally my items are cheapest on ebay and best quality.. And I've made alot of friends on the way. I am a huge shenmue fan and have been literally since day one.

Sorry for the long post but I am passionate about my hobby and shenmue in general and I do read all feedback I can when it comes to my small hobby of retroimportgamer

Take care
hey retrogamer. you have tones of rare, cool and interesting shenmue collectables for sale on ebay.

i know you have a twitter page but you should start a thread and post images of your collection and the photos of what you have for sale on ebay, here on the forums. + i don't think anyone would mind if you had a link your ebay store, others have done the same.

Hey thanks for the post!

I love the dojo and have also been kicking around this place since the first version of the forums in the early days.

I've got great relationships with many of the long serving members of this site whether it be dealing through ebay, twitter Instagram.. Or private sales..

Great idea on starting a thread. I may make a post showing my rarest items I've had since starting out. There are some amazing items I've been lucky to have seen in person.

I don't want to promote my current listed items as I know its sort of a taboo to do that but for sure interested in showing past gems!

Cheers!

Pretty nice condition white-dialed model (T43391) on eBay if anyone’s interested.

Back